HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 5:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It was their work that saddled us with ridiculous viewplane laws, and both HRMxD and the Centre Plan were watered down with height limits that satisfied them and their supporters. For decades they have focused on building height as the enemy of heritage for reasons that I have never understood.
I think the ramparts bylaw must be the worst. It imposes significant planning constraints over a large area in exchange for a narrow benefit. This was a "bug, not a feature" for the HT, who wanted pretexts for discouraging development.

The biggest philosophical problem I had with that crowd is they seemed to view the economy and development vs. heritage preservation or quality of life as an either-or question. I see growth and development as a source of money and resources that can be used to preserve heritage buildings and make the city better. I don't think that all happens magically with growth but I think the HT strategy was much worse.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:55 AM

Many interesting points here.

I agree about the ramparts. However I do wonder why they had such resounding success there, yet have only appeared to have limited success in preserving notable buildings in the core of the city.

So, would it be accurate to say they had more success in preventing development than actually saving heritage buildings/architecture (facades)?

But it seems like it must be a difficult job to save old buildings due to lax rules, and basically the ability of an owner to be able to do whatever they want with it, as long as it doesn't consist of a safety risk to the public (as I suppose it should be their right to do so, given that they are the ones investing -or not- in it, or at least they hold the deed).

Our history is indeed more a concept than a concrete thing, and everybody has different ideas as to what constitutes valued history and what does not. It appears that most people like to see a nice old building, but not many actually have much of an interest beyond that.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 2:06 PM

I imagine part of it is that it's easier to prevent someone from doing something (e.g. develop) than it is to force someone to do something (e.g. spend money to save a heritage building). One of those things is passive, and one is active. I guess you could prevent someone from demolishing heritage, but you can't force them to maintain it.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Is there something wrong with people wanting to protect property values? Is that not an issue for you where you live?
Of course not! As a beneficiary of rising property values I in fact am all for it. I just think it's funny how people view things. Yes, there are no doubt some well meaning people involved in HT who genuinely want good things for the city. But there is (or at least was, until recently?) a very real element that reflexively opposed any and all new development, on the flimsiest grounds. That opposition did stifle development and no doubt contributed to our current housing shortage (<1% rental vacancy etc.).

I find it vaguely amusing when I see the very same people going on about "affordable housing" as who loudly protest and obstruct any development - which of course, along with decreasing demand, is the only real solution to a housing shortage. Needless to say, most of these people have zero need nor real concern around housing affordability. It's a convenient tool, that's all.

Last edited by kzt79; Sep 9, 2020 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This is how 7135 Bayers Road appears for now. If work begins I'll keep posting photos tagged #7135Bayers (click on photo below for quick access).

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
Crane is going up today.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 6:25 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Saw this posted as an upcoming development on Encore's website. Anyone know anything about this addition to Bearly's? This rendering could be several years old for all I know, and may have already been posted.

Source: Encore Developments http://www.enqore.ca/on-the-horizon-1

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Saw this posted as an upcoming development on Encore's website. Anyone know anything about this addition to Bearly's? This rendering could be several years old for all I know, and may have already been posted.

Source: Encore Developments http://www.enqore.ca/on-the-horizon-1
They own the Bearly’s site which has a large parking lot out back. That rendering has been floating around for a bit. My recollection is they have been asked about it in an article and stated it was merely an early concept, the intent would be to keep the existing building, but it was still very early in the process.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 10:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
They own the Bearly’s site which has a large parking lot out back. That rendering has been floating around for a bit. My recollection is they have been asked about it in an article and stated it was merely an early concept, the intent would be to keep the existing building, but it was still very early in the process.
I would be a fan of this kind of infill along this stretch of Barrington. It's got a great streetscape with a couple holes, and some underused back lots.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 6:34 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Thanks! Bearly’s is such an iconic fixture on the southern end of Barrington, I’m happy about any plans to give the existing building a new lease on life.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 2:40 AM

Demolition permits have been issued for 3 / 5 / 7 Chadwick Street, Darmouth. These properties have frontage on Pleasant Street and fall under 'Corridor' zoning. The height maximum is either 11m or 20m so a redevelopment could be up to 6 stories high.

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Thanks! Bearly’s is such an iconic fixture on the southern end of Barrington, I’m happy about any plans to give the existing building a new lease on life.
Yes, I really hope that Bearly's survives and actually is expanded, that's what really needs to happen. Some of those Thursday night shows with the Mellotones you could probably double your occupancy.

J

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Demolition permits have been issued for 3 / 5 / 7 Chadwick Street, Darmouth. These properties have frontage on Pleasant Street and fall under 'Corridor' zoning. The height maximum is either 11m or 20m so a redevelopment could be up to 6 stories high.
that would be for this proposal on Pleasant

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 5:12 PM

^Thanks. I've seen the renderings before which would explain why my curiosity led me to post about the demolition permits. I just didn't connect the dots. The project was unveiled in early 2019 and had an open house. There's no records of it ever making it to community council and the project page has been removed. It could be sitting on a planner's desk somewhere at City Hall. I think the more likely scenario is the applicant has removed the application and will go forward under the Centre Plan rules.

Case 22140 Project Details

As soon as I have enough information I'll make a thread for this project. My best guess is if demolition is happening now they'll seek approval in Winter 2021 for a next summer construction start. The likely next public step would be a Site Plan Review at DAC.

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
I think the more likely scenario is the applicant has removed the application and will go forward under the Centre Plan rules
This is indeed what happened. Applicant had the opportunity to continue the application under the old rules, but opted instead to pull it since what he wants to do is pretty close to what the Centre Plan allows.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 11:21 PM

^Thanks Councillor Austin. I wasn't sure if you were still on this forum but when I was researching the project I figured you'd have the information.

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
^Thanks Councillor Austin. I wasn't sure if you were still on this forum but when I was researching the project I figured you'd have the information.
I pop in and out from time-to-time

Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
On top of this there is a murky link between the Heritage Trust and NIMBY activism, with the Heritage Trust sometimes fighting not just to preserve heritage buildings but to preserve empty lots. To people concerned with more than just heritage they may be perceived as a net negative.
Its the same thinking that floated around in relation to the former Ultramar property on Chebucto at Beech and Elm. A tiny group felt it should have been left semi vacant maybe as a bus pull in, or even had restrictions to allow just single family homes. so unrealistic. Most of the immediate neighbourhood either doesn't care about the new development or they're actually happy about it. I live nearby and look forward to some more life in the area as a result of it.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
^Thanks. I've seen the renderings before which would explain why my curiosity led me to post about the demolition permits. I just didn't connect the dots. The project was unveiled in early 2019 and had an open house. There's no records of it ever making it to community council and the project page has been removed. It could be sitting on a planner's desk somewhere at City Hall. I think the more likely scenario is the applicant has removed the application and will go forward under the Centre Plan rules.

Case 22140 Project Details

As soon as I have enough information I'll make a thread for this project. My best guess is if demolition is happening now they'll seek approval in Winter 2021 for a next summer construction start. The likely next public step would be a Site Plan Review at DAC.
they were taking the building down today

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 9:56 PM

Upcoming Major Development On Bayer's Road

Just thought I would throw this teaser out, this is a large upcoming development on Bayer's Road. This was posted on the instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/connecteastdevelopment/?hl=en

https://imgur.com/a/f5IZPsD

Last edited by gorsk1; Jun 27, 2021 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 8:14 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsk1 View Post
Just thought I would throw this teaser out, this is a large upcoming development on Bayer's Road. This was posted on the instagram page.
That really is a teaser, I'm left not knowing anything more than "development is happening" hahah! Joking aside, looking forward to more news about the development!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth