HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:43 PM

That's great news, 100% approval! Amazing.
But honestly, I'll be surprised if the 30 story tower makes it through alive.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:57 PM

I'm encouraged by the unanimous support.. in particular how many speakers and most councilors expressed explicit support for the project, not just the broad concept of plan amendments and some sort of project for these lands. Having said that, there are lots of hurdles ahead, lots of opportunity for appeals, elections happen, and minds can change.

However I think the real enemies of King's Wharf are the economics of it. It will take many years to get this built i am afraid.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:06 PM

I would say about 75% of the people in favour of the development were in full support. Even the 360' tower. Many of those residents were from Hazelhurst Street, which is right down overlooking the site. One councillor expressed concern regarding the height of the tower. But he did seem open to the idea as long as the tower was a true icon. The flavour of last night gave me the impression that there will not be such a large fight as some might expect for the tall buildings. I admit however, I am an eternal optimist.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 7:30 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I would say about 75% of the people in favour of the development were in full support. Even the 360' tower. Many of those residents were from Hazelhurst Street, which is right down overlooking the site. One councillor expressed concern regarding the height of the tower. But he did seem open to the idea as long as the tower was a true icon. The flavour of last night gave me the impression that there will not be such a large fight as some might expect for the tall buildings. I admit however, I am an eternal optimist.
Yeah, I cant see there being THAT much fuss over this, even the tower. According to the height, its actually going to be taller than Fenwick tower by about 40 feet. Having said that, considering that height, there was surprisingly little opposition towards it at the meeting last night. And 21-0 in the vote. Wow, I mean what can you say? I've never seen that happen before thats for sure.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 9:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
According to the height, its actually going to be taller than Fenwick tower by about 40 feet.
Really? So this would be Halifax's new tallest, and the first building in the city over 100m?

That woul be coooooooooool.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 10:19 PM

Yah that would be very cool. I never thought Dartmouth might beat Halifax to 100m...Good luck Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Yeah, I cant see there being THAT much fuss over this, even the tower. According to the height, its actually going to be taller than Fenwick tower by about 40 feet. Having said that, considering that height, there was surprisingly little opposition towards it at the meeting last night. And 21-0 in the vote. Wow, I mean what can you say? I've never seen that happen before thats for sure.
thats 21-0 to amendments, not the development. I love to see this project built, but until ground is broken and the development is approved i am not getting to excited. Remember its an election year, after elections the votes might change......

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 12:35 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
thats 21-0 to amendments, not the development. I love to see this project built, but until ground is broken and the development is approved i am not getting to excited. Remember its an election year, after elections the votes might change......

Oh I realize that, but what I'm saying is that I didn't hear a lot of complaining about the scale or height of the buildings, especially from the general public. Heck, I'd say it was probably encouraged because it will add the needed density to revitalize downtown Dartmouth.

Aside from the HT and Hendsbee, I think it was basically all in favour.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 1:25 AM

In particular, the members that compromise the Harbour East Community Council were well in favour of the project itself.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 1:27 AM

Hendsbee only supports road building and paving

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 2:54 AM
National Capital Region

'They're going to pave over the harbour'

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 4:47 AM

I found it strange how Harvey said he will be waiting for this to become visible in SACKVILLE! which is 100% impossible for 300'. I'll be dammed if i can see it from my house in Bedford...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Hendsbee only supports road building and paving
As much as I enjoy a good attack on Hendsbee, he did vote in favor of the amendments, so I'm curious to know what prompted this?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
As much as I enjoy a good attack on Hendsbee, he did vote in favor of the amendments, so I'm curious to know what prompted this?
I didn't catch the council meeting, I was going on what wishblade posted just before me. Perhaps he was referring to a different Hendsbee? or did Handsbee speak ill of the project even though he voted in favour?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 6:28 PM

I think that Hendsbee did say that he hoped that existing businesses that are there (Dominion diving, Secunda Marine etc) should not be negatively affected by the development. I had forgotten that they are there. The properties are an eyesore. It is possible to combine industry and developments (the Hfx tugs fit in fine with the boardwalk) but there would have to be some fixin up with the dartmouth marine properties, probably minimum standards could help out. The fishing wharf and boardwalk in Eastern passage are another good example of how the marine and people spaces work well together. A few posts back i was raising the issue of where the shubie canal would meet the development; it would be right where the train bridge goes over the canal, right next to dominion diving and Scunda marine. It would take some will to fix that area. JET

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 8:10 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
I didn't catch the council meeting, I was going on what wishblade posted just before me. Perhaps he was referring to a different Hendsbee? or did Handsbee speak ill of the project even though he voted in favour?
No, not a different Hendsbee. I was referring to the councilor.

The vote was just for the amendments, and he made it clear to ask that the vote was just for the amendments and not for the height and scale of the project. I believe that he is all for the project happening, but I don't think he is content with the height, especially of that 360' tower.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I think that Hendsbee did say that he hoped that existing businesses that are there (Dominion diving, Secunda Marine etc) should not be negatively affected by the development.
Partly, but he also was hoping that the developer was completely aware that Dominion and Secunda are their neighbors, and that any future tenants would be equally aware, because he didn't want to have the developer or tenants launching complaints about their industrial neighbors in the future.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 12:53 AM

I don't know if anyone else caught this, but councilor Younger eluded to a second big project in the pipes for Dartmouth. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing that comes to mind is either the YMCA redevelopment on lake Banook, or the Ekistics project on Wyse Rd.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 2:05 AM

Quote:
I don't know if anyone else caught this, but councilor Younger eluded to a second big project in the pipes for Dartmouth. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing that comes to mind is either the YMCA redevelopment on lake Banook, or the Ekistics project on Wyse Rd.
I know the WDC has been considering what will happen with the rest of the Dartmouth waterfront (Dartmouth cove). Maybe there is more going on there then is publicly known.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 11:09 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
I really, REALLY hope it is the Banook project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth