HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 2:40 PM

The hearing is tonight. I can't make it, but I hope all goes well.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 10:13 PM
Dartmouth Girl

They've just started with the presentation for this, wasn't able to make it over, watching on TV now.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 10:28 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Jeez, just watching this, so far it seems they haven't left ANYTHING out. I really hope this gets positive support.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 10:54 PM

Gawd, I LOVE it when Patrick Leroy speaks. He just took on the Heritage Trust's late entry into this, and absolutely eviserated them.

No negative comments in the first few speakers.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 10:56 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Gawd, I LOVE it when Patrick Leroy speaks.
I have to agree, that was gold. .. this is looking good so far

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 11:05 PM

Uh-oh... a couple of whiteheaded opponents espousing some Flat Earth Society views... don't change anything seems to be their mantra. Sad.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 11:06 PM
Dartmouth Girl

wow, the 2 naysayers so far live in the same building...

I don't get this whole thing about the harbour cleanup they are bringing up? Infill doesn't make it dirty, god these people are stupid lol.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 11:30 PM
Dartmouth Girl

The second older lady to speak this evening (saying we should light up dartmouth) is a regular customer that comes to the russell lake sobeys and has nothing but good and positive thoughts to tell us about how she thinks dartmouth should grow more and how she wants change. More of the older generation need to think like her...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand phil pacey is up next..................

Last edited by Aya_Akai; Jul 9, 2008 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 12:59 AM

Is there any development that Alan Ruffman will not speak against?

That guy is so negative, bitter and sour that one wonders how he can function on a daily basis. What a twisted individual.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:02 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Is there any development that Alan Ruffman will not speak against?

That guy is so negative, bitter and sour that one wonders how he can function on a daily basis. What a twisted individual.
I totally agree, and Pacey was there again as usual sounding like a broken f@$king record again. Too tall bla bla bla

I hate ruffman and pacey with a friggin' passion

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:11 AM

Seems like the fushion group was out again tonight with its pro development tour.

Pacey and ruffman are nutballs. Someone should do a count to the number of position projects these two have approved. I figure it would be easier to count the for, rather then against.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:53 AM

Holy crap, did I just hear correctly? Brightwood gave it the thumbs up!
So the whole "views from Brightwood" thing shouldn't be an issue the heritage nuts bring up anymore!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:54 AM

APPROVED 21-0 pretty good, eh?

Congrats Dartmouth you guys deserve a development like this

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 2:24 AM

Congrats Dartmouth! This is a great development. Alan Ruffman is real old crank isn't he.....geeech

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 2:24 AM

Ah, dammit I shouldn't have been following this topic. You just ruined the ending for me I'm time shifting because I wasn't home to catch it.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by the number of Hazelhurst residents who are in support.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:13 AM

I was there and put my two cents in. It was an amazing evenning! So much positivity in the room. And when I got there it was standing room only in the overflow room, it was crazy. I really liked that second women as well. During one of the breaks she came up to me and said she wanted to give me a hug lol so cute! Non of the naysayers had any real valid points. I still can't believe it was unanimous!!! Has that ever happened?!
What a great couple of weeks it has been for Halifax!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 9:37 AM

Keep in mind that last night's vote was only on the plan amendments, not the development agreement. There is still going to be another round of debate about the infill of the wate rlots , the design and density, and of course, the ever-popular "it's too tall!!!!" debate about the tower.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 11:53 AM

This is a great development. I hope that it moves along quickly. The infill will help contain whatever is sitting near the old shipworks.
One presenter brought up a good question: the shubie canal presently empties into the harbiur. The canal is a nice feature. I wonder how it will meet up with the development. I remember seeing an aerial view at one point, but I can't remember what happens at the end of the canal. JET

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 12:27 PM

Council clears way for $300m Dartmouth project

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Wed. Jul 9 - 5:47 AM

Regional council is in the mood for development.

With a 21-0 vote at city hall Tuesday night, councillors approved changes to land-use bylaws and planning strategies that will pave the way for a $300-million development for Dartmouth’s waterfront.

King’s Wharf — a series of buildings that will include a hotel, 30-storey condo building, shops, three public accesses to the waterfront, a marina and underground parking—– wouldn’t be permitted without the changes.

But now developer Francis Fares can proceed to Dartmouth’s community council to test the waters for a development agreement for his project, which will be located on the former Dartmouth Marine Slips land.

Before their vote, councillors heard from more than 50 people during a public hearing.

Not since the so-called Twisted Sisters development proposed for the Tex-Park lot in Halifax two years ago has council seen such an outpouring of public input — so much so that council had to extend its meeting to 11 p.m., an hour past its normal closing.

The overwhelming majority of speakers, who came from all over the municipality, were in favour of the development.

Many Dartmouthians, like Helen Anstey, said they were encouraged to see such investment put into their side of their harbour.

"It’s our turn now," she said. "We don’t have what you (in Halifax) have on your waterfront."

"We’ve always been considered the dark side of the harbour," agreed Marjorie Gibbons of Hazelhurst Street.

"But this would make everyone in Halifax say, ‘Wow! Look how bright it is!’ "

About five people were opposed and almost as many said they liked the idea of the project but didn’t approve of the height of the proposed development.

They included Heritage Trust president Philip Pacey, who said after the meeting that it’s "too early to tell" whether he’ll appeal council’s decision.

Clive Mason told council to reject it because the plan calls for filling in water lots to accommodate a development that he said is too tall and out of scale with its neighbourhood.

"They’re going to pave over the harbour," he said.

In the end, though, councillors — led by area councillor Gloria McCluskey — were all for the project.

Coun. Debbie Hum (Rockingham-Wentworth) said she was influenced by the residents who came to speak from downtown Dartmouth.

"So many of them said they didn’t care (about the view plane) . . . and that they were willing to overcome that, because what was important to them was the revitalization of the downtown and what this would do for Dartmouth.

"I thought that was tremendous."

Initially, Coun. Bob Harvey (Lower Sackville) said he was concerned for the height.

"It has the potential of being a Fenwick-By-The-Sea," he said, referring to Fenwick Place, the Dalhousie University residence in Halifax that is 32 storeys high.

However, he noted that the height of the tower is something that can be further debated when the Dartmouth councillors hold a public hearing on the development agreement for the project in a few months.

( apugsley@herald.ca)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
The infill will help contain whatever is sitting near the old shipworks.
I agree. I'm not crazy about infilling in the harbour under any circumstances, but considering all of the toxic sludge underneath that site that likely can't be cleaned up, this is probably the best option.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth