HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 5:50 AM
Honored Member

[Dartmouth] King's Wharf (Building E) | 85 m | 27 fl | U/C

Quote:
The New Heart of Halifax Harbour
Fares Real Estate Inc is planning to develop King's Wharf, a multi-phased, mixed use, waterfront development situated in Dartmouth Cove on Halifax Harbour.

The project vision combines a lifestyle centre - urban village feeling with world class architecture and construction quality. King's Wharf will offer Dartmouthians, residential purchasers, the working community, shoppers, tourists, and Nova Scotians the opportunity to enjoy a world class, legacy development.

The development concept currently envisions:

* 1200 residential condominiums
* 200 room Hotel and Convention Center
* Hotel condominium suites
* 100,000 SF of mixed retail shopping
* 40,000 SF of commercial space.
http://www.faresinc.com/

An older rendering. I am not sure if it is still valid

This is one project I am looking forward too. Downtown Dartmouth and its skyline will change drastically...for the better.

"I am so excited about Canadians ruling the world." - Prime Minister John Diefenbaker.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 12:40 PM

This thread should be moved to the Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth section. (otherwise it might get deleted on us)

Having said that, I'm excited to hear more about King's Wharf. I hope this project moves quickly through the approval processes.

Terry

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 1:47 PM
Honored Member

Right....I was thinking it was Dartmouth and suburbs for some reason...

"I am so excited about Canadians ruling the world." - Prime Minister John Diefenbaker.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 4:08 AM

I was poking around the website today and they have a nice space in the newsroom section to post what kind of amenities you would like to see built into this project. You can also read what others have said, and get an idea of what the general public think of the project.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 4:10 AM

On more news on this project??

I hoping this gets built and it will give me an excuse to go to dartmouth when i visit halifax.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 4:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

No idea what the story is with this one really. It's supposed to be built in phases. I remember at one point that they said sales were going slowly, but at the time there was no marketing. I don't even know if this development is approved yet.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 2:17 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
No idea what the story is with this one really. It's supposed to be built in phases. I remember at one point that they said sales were going slowly, but at the time there was no marketing. I don't even know if this development is approved yet.
Correct me if Im wrong, but if their doing sales, I would be under the impression that its approved.

If I remember back, the feedback from the public was generally good, except for a few people who would be losing a view that they don't even own

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:27 PM

This project has not been approved yet. It still has to go to regional council at some point. One would hope that that would be within the next year. I think the developers were just scouting out potential buyers. They seem to be taking their sweet time fine tuning every little thing though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's not even clear what this development will end up looking like since the renderings keep changing.

Not sure if it would be appealed or not. Hopefully if the developers of this project do plan on a tower they will separate it from the rest (although I guess that could backfire since it's no longer measured against the benefits of everything else).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:36 PM

I don't know? I've heard some opposition to the tower, but non of them had any real reason to oppose it. So therefore there would be no standing in any appeal. Also, I remember the developer took the time to go someones house who's views would be affected and made up renderings showing the person and the public what the new view would entail. After that, that person thought it was a good idea. This just shows how the developer is really trying to work out all the bugs before it goes to council.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:18 PM
Closed account

I emailed the developer the other day with a few questions regarding a time line for the project and such and got the following response:

Quote:
Dear Aaron,

Thank-you for your interest in King’s Wharf.

This spectacular Halifax Harbour project is currently evolving through design and development approval stages so I do not have accurate timelines. We are not pre-selling condominiums yet; this will occur when we have a better idea of our project timelines.
I will add your name to our contact list and email you when we have more details available. Please feel free to participate in our forum where we are seeking ideas on how we can incorporate public space into our development here http://www.mtlpr.ca/kingswharf/
Should you have any questions, we would be pleased to discuss them at any time and share any further information on King’s Wharf.
Doesn't seem like they even know much yet. Their comment page is hosted by MT&L, a public relations firm. So I would imagine they are going to some effort to make sure they please as many people as possible with the development.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 4:39 AM
You talkin' to me?

http://www.yourwish.ca/

^A friend of mine just showed me this site. It is a site where they are specifically looking for public input as to what they would like to see done with the project. So if anyone has an opinion they want to make known, it might be a good place to voice it

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 5:11 AM
we built this city

The header on that webpage gives a cool perspective of what the project will look like from a perspective like you are level with the development.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:03 AM
You talkin' to me?

Developer confident project will happen soon
King's Wharf still waiting to resolve a few issues
JOANIE VEITCH - THE WEEKLY NEWS

After nearly three years of talk, it looks as though Dartmouth may soon see some action on the King's Wharf waterfront development project.

Recent discussions between Francis Fares, the developer of the project, Tim Olive of the Downtown Dartmouth Business Commission and senior municipal planning staff, resulted in a "reassessment of the economic impact of this project," Olive said in an interview last week at his downtown office.

The $300 million, multi-phased project is planned for the Dartmouth Marine Slips site and encompasses a 200-room hotel and convention centre, 1,200 condo units and a combined 140,000 square foot commercial and office space over the next five to seven years.

It's a huge project that will not only have a large economic impact on Dartmouth, it will put millions of dollars in to the coffers of HRM, Olive said.

"To put that anywhere in HRM would be valuable, to put it in downtown Dartmouth ... it is the catalyst for our economic future," Olive said. "Everyone's waiting to see something happen on this site."

In the intervening months - and years - since the project was first announced, the lack of progress on development had more than a few people wondering if it was even going to go ahead. Olive said he knows a few property owners in the downtown core of Dartmouth are waiting for something to happen before proceeding with their own redevelopment plans.

"I'm at a loss to understand how it could go on this long without someone at HRM asking what's happening with this project. Up until now it appeared it wasn't a priority from the perspective of HRM senior staff," he said.

While the wait has been frustrating, developer Francis Fares said he appreciates that HRM staff have had a lot to deal with over the past few years. "It's a big project and they've been very busy with other projects ... but I'm feeling very positive there's an effort to make this happen now."

There are still five substantive issues to be resolved before the development goes before council for final approval, however. These issues deal with engineering drawings and view plane restrictions from Brightwood Golf Course.

"There is still work to be done, but those issues can all be resolved fairly easily," Olive said.

The largest issue has to do with vehicular access to the site. The property is adjacent to CN and although HRM owns the land, the rail line runs through it.

To comply with fire regulations, an access road has to be open and clear at all times, which means simply putting a road across the railway tracks is not sufficient and another access has to be built.

"It's an issue that both CN and HRM will have to resolve," Olive said. "The hope is that all those matters will be resolved before the project goes before regional council."

Once the project has gone through council, the next step is begin "bringing to life" the first phase of the project, the condominium development.

"We will begin with the condominiums then build the office and commercial part to support that," Fares said.

Olive, for one, will be very happy when construction actually begins (which Fares estimates will likely be by fall) as he won't be fielding so many questions about the project.

"People want to know about this ... members of the public, the business community ... I'm getting calls all the time on this," he said. "People are very excited about this project."

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
The largest issue has to do with vehicular access to the site. The property is adjacent to CN and although HRM owns the land, the rail line runs through it.

To comply with fire regulations, an access road has to be open and clear at all times, which means simply putting a road across the railway tracks is not sufficient and another access has to be built.
Oh, just like Alderney Gate? Funny, the access road to the parking lot there goes over the rail line as well, and I don't know of any other access route that doesn't require you to drive over the rail line...

Quote:
view plane restrictions from Brightwood Golf Course.
...oh come on!! Now they're just being silly.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:59 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Alderney Gate doesn't have any residents, so maybe that explains the difference. Still, access doesn't seem like it would technically be difficult. I guess it is just a bureaucratic issue.

The Brightwood view planes are amusing given the fact that the course itself would have been redeveloped if not for the opposition of the neighbours.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:53 AM

This is great news! Construction in fall! Wow, that would be amazing. I'm excited to see what other developments this spawn in the area.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This is great news! Construction in fall! Wow, that would be amazing. I'm excited to see what other developments this spawn in the area.
Its looking good for a lot of construction this year. Salters Landing, Twisted Sisters, Kings Wharf and I read in the papaer this morning that the developer of the Trinty church site wants to start construction this fall.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Its looking good for a lot of construction this year. Salters Landing, Twisted Sisters, Kings Wharf and I read in the papaer this morning that the developer of the Trinty church site wants to start construction this fall. (sic)
Well this is what sort of scares me. So many massive developments on the boards at once. Can HRM support all these condos and hotel rooms? Will developers be stymied by poor economics, especially if they each take one another's proposals into account in their feasibility studies? A question to all forumers; what is your take on this?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Well this is what sort of scares me. So many massive developments on the boards at once. Can HRM support all these condos and hotel rooms? Will developers be stymied by poor economics, especially if they each take one another's proposals into account in their feasibility studies? A question to all forumers; what is your take on this?
Twisted sisters will be at best 2010 before anything starts, if it starts at all. It will likely be sold.

Salters street will be on hold, which is been the custom for the site many times as the economics aren't there for 2,500 plus a month rentals.

Hotels at 60% occupancy don't work, and if we continue to increase the inventory it will see many hotels fail.

Kings Wharf is 2 years away at best.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth