HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Kempt Road would be better than Agricola--if and when industrial uses get pushed out of the area, it's a clean slate. Agricola already has a unique built form and feel that I'd like to see improved, rather than replaced. Kempt Road is ripe for remaking, however.
I see some value to both Kempt and Agricola being remade/improved, although both have different potentials in my mind.

I've always been a proponent to increase density and mobility on the peninsula, Agricola would be the best street to put an urban streetcar on since many folks would oppose it because it might slow traffic (well volumes on Agricola are lower than Robie/Gottingen - so put it on the lower volume street). So you could make a very good, high density mid-rise corridor along the street with street level LRT platforms. In fact, I think you could actually turn Agricola into a pedestrian only street from Cunard all the way up to Russell Street (until the brewery moves - then take it right up to Young) to create a streetcar/pedestrian only street (although have gates to allow local deliveries for retail at specific times) and allow vehicles crossing Agricola to continue to do so (so if I was driving down Almon from Gottingen, I could not turn left or right on Agricola, but I could continue to drive straight through to Robie).

With Kempt Road - I see it being a part of a bigger LRT system and being developed at high density/tall building heights using a very intricate system of density bonusing to allow tall buildings but giving back to the community. So you'd have to include affordable housing, ground level parks, money to help pay for the LRT system, a community centre and other stuff like that - but if you did, you could go quite tall. Then there would be one or two LRT stations along Kempt for a line that would lead into Downtown (either running at grade or potentially a combo or at grade/underground) depending on cost.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 1:14 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Agricola's a mixed bag, but its strength is that it has a lot of fine-grained development built up to the street. It's a pretty nice pedestrian environment. I bet you could go pretty far along that street without tearing down any of the old character homes by adding a few midrise buildings and permitting small additions and conversions to commercial use.

LRT would really bring the North End together. I wish the city would start considering projects like that. A network of a couple of short LRT or streetcar lines plus commuter rail could be great and it wouldn't necessarily be that expensive. It would also complement the BRT routes already set up for Dartmouth and Sackville -- Halifax would finally have a reasonable transit system.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Agricola's a mixed bag, but its strength is that it has a lot of fine-grained development built up to the street. It's a pretty nice pedestrian environment. I bet you could go pretty far along that street without tearing down any of the old character homes by adding a few midrise buildings and permitting small additions and conversions to commercial use.
Yeah, the houses and storefronts that have been rehabbed like these have a very particular charm that I think is intrinsically valuable, from a cultural, destination and business perspective. In any case, the North End is far away reaching the point where it needs more developable land--the area's population could probably double without knocking down a single building (mostly due to the fact that so many houses already were knocked down in years past, mostly for low-density auto-centric uses).

But the overall concept of a transit priority street is great. I'd expect some business owners to kick up a fuss, however. The North End Business Association, despite involving a lot of young and ostensibly progressive people, had a predictable fit over on-street parking a while ago when bike lanes were being discussed. Hopefully they would see, however, that turning the street into more of a commercial destination would be in their best interests.

In fact, I wonder if there's any thing that can be done to encourage further commercialization on the strip--turning those rental houses into storefronts. It's already happening slowly due to market demand, but I wonder if there are any tricks in the city-planners' toolkit that can be deployed to hasten the process.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 2:19 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Yeah, the houses and storefronts that have been rehabbed like these have a very particular charm that I think is intrinsically valuable, from a cultural, destination and business perspective
I feel like this is in a lot of ways a sort of "heartland" on the Peninsula. These quirky neighbourhoods are a big factor in making the city what it is.

The North End needs a lot more people, more businesses, and better transit, but it could be a great neighbourhood.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:43 PM

The H&WCC for Case #18591 public hearing will be held on May 6th, 2014. Development agreement will be decided after the LUB amendments are in effect.

- DJ

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 10:10 PM

"Schedule Q" amendments were approved following the public hearing last night. The development agreement will return for final approval.

- DJ

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 7:16 PM

This is how the site currently looks.

Photo by Dmajackson a.k.a. Urban_Halifax on flickr.com

- DJ

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 7:20 PM

Project was approved by H&WCC last week.

- DJ

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 11:55 PM

Demolition just wrapped up on the garage building;

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

- DJ

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 2:01 AM

The property owner has purchased the adjacent lot at 5516 Bilby Street. The site was cleared a couple of months back. They are now seeking an amendment to the development agreement to include the new lot. This will result in 62 residential units in a wider building.

Plans can be viewed at Halifax's Planning Website

- DJ

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 9:28 PM

They got rid of the "stackhouse" feature that made this building a bit more interesting
I do like the use of colour though in the new plan.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 5:25 PM

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 9:56 PM

Some of the crane pieces from Bloomfield place were being stored on site. Also a large pit is on site but not big enough for the building yet. Didn't look like it had been active in a while.

20190217_134649 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 12:59 PM

This one appears to be coming back on radar. I've seen some planning stuff that seems to indicate we may see some movement on site in the next few months or so. It continues to amaze me how much this area has changed over the last 10 years or so.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 7:48 PM

There must be two threads for this one.

The request to extend the timeline was granted, the crane is up and the site is working again.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 8:21 PM

^That would be 5558 Bilby. This thread is for its neighbour to the east. I can understand the confusion though the construction trailer for 5558 is on the Stackhouse lot.

- DJ

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 5:45 PM

I thought the developer of the stackhouse had bought up this lot and combined the two projects? Or is there a 3rd property in question?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 6:13 PM

This lot is now fully fenced off and crews were removing vegetation on site today.

Case 20719 shows what is currently approved for this site.

- DJ

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This lot is now fully fenced off and crews were removing vegetation on site today.

Case 20719 shows what is currently approved for this site.
FWIW, the current design is a bit different. The project has changed architects a couple of times. It is now a Michael Napier project.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:13 PM

I'm considering this one as under construction. Excavation work has begun.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

- DJ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth