HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 6:10 PM

I think this is a much better design. My main comment though is I preferred the taller podium from the previous iteration. Robie is a really wide St and in conjunction with the development next door I think the podium under the Robie St tower should be taller. Maybe a few more setbacks carved out of the tower to redistribute the untis to the podium levels.

These almost look like they took some inspiration from the original Halifax Infirmary. It didn't have great street presence but the brick and detail work was nice.

Old Halifax Infirmary by Trommel, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 12:46 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Very similar to 628 fleet street in Toronto, built around 10 years ago. It seems like this trend of recreating art deco architecture is catching on.

Image provided by Strata.ca

https://strata.ca/toronto/west-harbo...s-628-fleet-st

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:54 PM

Proposed development agreement is going before the Heritage Advisory Committee tomorrow.

Case 20761 Staff Report

- DJ

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Proposed development agreement is going before the Heritage Advisory Committee tomorrow.
HRM staff recommends approval of the proposed development agreement. I predict that the Heritage Advisory Committee will find this project to be too hot a potato because of typical shrill vocal minority opposition ("Two 30-storey buildings! In ONE BLOCK? Oh, the humanity!"), and will refuse to recommend that the Halifax and West Community Council approve the development agreement, whereupon the Community Council will dutifully - and with a sigh of relief - oblige ("Two 30-storey buildings! In ONE BLOCK? Oh, the humanity!"), but without providing reasons (which the law requires it to do) why it thinks the agreement doesn’t reasonably carry out the intent of the MPS.

The developer will then have to appeal to the UARB, where it will win.

Or I could be out to lunch.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Jun 22, 2021 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 5:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
HRM staff recommends approval of the proposed development agreement. I predict that the Heritage Advisory Committee will find this project to be too hot a potato because of typical shrill vocal minority opposition ("Two 30-storey buildings! In ONE BLOCK? Oh, the humanity!"), and will refuse to approve the development agreement, without providing reasons (which it the law requires it to do) why it doesn’t reasonably carry out the intent of the MPS.
This project is in more of a NIMBY area compared to say Richmond Yards.

I think it makes sense for this area to be high density and hopefully it will be approved. It is near the universities and on major future transit corridors. This part of town is a bit low on amenities due to the low population densities but that seems to be changing.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This project is in more of a NIMBY area compared to say Richmond Yards.

I think it makes sense for this area to be high density and hopefully it will be approved. It is near the universities and on major future transit corridors. This part of town is a bit low on amenities due to the low population densities but that seems to be changing.
Agreed on all counts.

People have been quite vocal (and organized) in their opposition to this project, and all the more so because the same block is subject to a proposal for an equally large and tall project by Dexel/Lawen. The thought of all of that happening in one block has triggered near-apoplexy among the hand-wringing class, to the point that they've demanded that HRM consider both proposals in tandem (which isn't happening).

In that regard, a person could be excused for thinking there'd be some strategic advantage to being the one on the block whose project is approved first, on the theory that the second one will receive an even rougher ride from the infuriated mob, even if ultimately both may be approved.

And, given the size of both projects, there's probably also a pretty good market argument for being first out of the ground too. The current boom in demand isn't going to last indefinitely, after all.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 6:22 PM

By the way, the developer re-named this project Promenade Robie South some time ago and has been promoting and marketing it under that name. I'm not sure whether that justifies a change in the name of the thread - I'll leave that up to those who know how this stuff works...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 9:58 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
It is near the universities and on major future transit corridors. This part of town is a bit low on amenities due to the low population densities but that seems to be changing.
Low on amenities?? A couple have been named right here. It’s pretty close to Pete’s for food, Sobeys if you go a bit further. Considering how this is on a transit route getting to the Quinpool Superstore would not take long either. You’re a short walk from the Public Gardens and Victoria park. Need healthcare or education for children? Multiple schools and hospitals nearby. There are certainly slightly more convenient places but throughout the peninsula it’s hard to beat even the quiet side of Spring Garden.

If I lived in a building that magically incorporated all of the above into the podium I would perhaps call this part of town low on amenities.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 11:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's subjective and I was talking more about the part of town that would be served by the commercial component of this development than what will be available to residents. Pete's is a bit far for somebody who gets around on foot and lives west of Robie. There's a part of the South End running south of Inglis/Robie/Jubilee that has comparatively few shops.

A lot of even the inner parts of the Halifax peninsula is pretty limited compared to say a quiet neighbourhood of a medium sized Dutch city. But the level of services could be similar (probably only with highrises since most of the land is housing that cannot be redeveloped into high density). I think it will happen as more residential goes in.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 10:38 AM

Oooh look, Peggy has found another reporter besides Berman to complain to!

https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/new...nts-100608144/

Quote:
An advocacy group says it’s concerned that a set of proposed highrise developments in central Halifax will negatively impact the historic Carlton Street neighbourhood and that Halifax Regional Municipality hasn’t been transparent in the approval processes for the buildings, which a local councillor adamantly denies.

On June 23, Halifax regional council’s heritage advisory committee moved a proposed mixed-use development on lands fronting Robie, College and Carlton streets a step closer to approval.

The proposal, by developer Rovualis, calls for the relocation of an existing heritage building and another building with heritage value on College Street to the rear yards of 1452 and 1456 Carlton Street, as well as a mixed-use development consisting of a 29-storey plus penthouse tower and a 28-storey plus penthouse tower on College Street.

Peggy Cameron is a member of Development Options Halifax (DOH), a self-described citizens group championing transparency in urban development. She said that the proposed development is “very different now from what the public was first consulted on.”

Cameron said the new heights of the proposed development have increased to 28 and 29 storeys plus penthouses from an original proposal of 20 and 26 storeys.

Meanwhile, she said the development will be adjacent to a proposal from another developer, Dexel, for two towers originally proposed as 16 and 30 storeys, which have also been approved for up to 90 metres or 29 storeys plus penthouses.

“This is a unique historic area. It’s the only remaining older neighbourhood on the Halifax Common, it’s designated municipally, provincially and federally and the language from the federal designation is a rare, early Victorian streetscape,” Cameron said.

“And without it ever coming back to the public, the city has now moved the size of these buildings to potentially have four 30-storey towers in that (Carlton Street) block and in that area, so there’ll be other proposals that will come forward where developers will be looking for the same height in the area.”

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Oooh look, Peggy has found another reporter besides Berman to complain to!
Yes, but at least she covered the other side of the story too, albeit with the hilarious misspelling of "ludicrous" as "ludacris" - or maybe that's down to a 20-year-old editor...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 12:50 PM

When I next have a day or two with nothing better to do, I’d like to do a count of the number of alleged “groups” that Peggy Cameron has claimed to speak for.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There is new information on the HRM website for this proposal and the Dexel proposal:
https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...arlton-streets

One aspect of this proposal that I like is how the heritage homes along Carlton will be preserved (particularly 5969 College). They are shown in some of the elevation drawings. It's too bad that a couple of old apartment buildings, which are not very common in Halifax, will be torn down on this block. Some buildings on this block, like Springrose Manor, do not have heritage value. I think sometimes moving these houses increases their heritage value when they are regrouped into more consistent streetscapes. It's nicer to have 7 historic houses in a row than 3 houses, then a parking lot, then 2 more houses, than a plain vinyl box, then 2 more houses.

Another question is the quality of the street level design particularly along SGR and Robie and that doesn't seem to be getting much attention. Both proposals have somewhat bland street level facades with long street frontages.

Last edited by someone123; Jul 6, 2021 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:43 AM
we built this city

Quote:
There is new information on the HRM website for this proposal and the Dexel proposal:
https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...arlton-streets

One aspect of this proposal that I like is how the heritage homes along Carlton will be preserved (particularly 5969 College). They are shown in some of the elevation drawings. It's too bad that a couple of old apartment buildings, which are not very common in Halifax, will be torn down on this block. Some buildings on this block, like Springrose Manor, do not have heritage value. I think sometimes moving these houses increases their heritage value when they are regrouped into more consistent streetscapes. It's nicer to have 7 historic houses in a row than 3 houses, then a parking lot, then 2 more houses, than a plain vinyl box, then 2 more houses.

Another question is the quality of the street level design particularly along SGR and Robie and that doesn't seem to be getting much attention. Both proposals have somewhat bland street level facades with long street frontages.
Totally agree. It will look cohesive. That weird commercial building ruins the streetscape along there.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:18 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
When I next have a day or two with nothing better to do, I’d like to do a count of the number of alleged “groups” that Peggy Cameron has claimed to speak for.
I’ve actually come to the conclusion developers secretly like Peggy Cameron. She hogs all the representation in local media and gives the impression critics are universally dumb or self-centred. This in turn silences any of the more salient criticisms that could alter a given project or the state’s attitude towards development.

Last edited by Good Baklava; Jul 9, 2021 at 8:42 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
I’ve actually come to the conclusion developers secretly like Peggy Cameron. She hogs all the representation in local media and gives the impression critics are universally dumb or self-centred. This in turn silences any of the more salient criticisms that could alter a given project or the state’s attitude towards development.
More specifically it gives the impression that there are not 'many groups' opposing developments but rather one that keeps changing it's name.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 4:19 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
More specifically it gives the impression that there are not 'many groups' opposing developments but rather one that keeps changing it's name.
Well, I mean, it is just a handful of the same people.

I wonder how they think it's democratic that a few people with too much time on their hands get to disrupt public processes.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Well, I mean, it is just a handful of the same people.

I wonder how they think it's democratic that a few people with too much time on their hands get to disrupt public processes.
Just carrying on the time-honored tradition of the likes of Phil and Elizabeth Pacey, Kommissar Howard Epstein, and many other 1990s members of the Heritage Trust.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:55 PM

Hey crew, I was the one who made those models (And 3D printed ones) for Peggy and Friends back in the day. *gasp! He speaks with the evil one* hahah

Anyway, I'm going to be restarting my modeling with new software and more detail and I'm starting with these development (plus the killam proposals). I am offering my services to the dedicated people of this form as well as anyone else interested ps: I do this as a hobby because I think its cool. I would appreciate your input!

[Where can I best post about this activity to get input? Should this be a new thread on the modeled developments specifically?]

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 6:09 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian Laing View Post
Hey crew, I was the one who made those models (And 3D printed ones) for Peggy and Friends back in the day. *gasp! He speaks with the evil one* hahah

Anyway, I'm going to be restarting my modeling with new software and more detail and I'm starting with these development (plus the killam proposals). I am offering my services to the dedicated people of this form as well as anyone else interested ps: I do this as a hobby because I think its cool. I would appreciate your input!

[Where can I best post about this activity to get input? Should this be a new thread on the modeled developments specifically?]
Sure, that all sounds great. I think most people here generally love seeing models of any new developments.

You could post them in the project threads in this section (and suburbs) or make a dedicated thread in "Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth