HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
It was community council, I went to see how the changes would affect development decisions and it pretty much went the way I expected.
The North & Oxford goes to the full council after a 4-2 vote which did not recommend approval to Regional Council.
When Regional council meets to make the final decision it may well be denied or it will be a very close vote either way. The usual guarantee of a positive vote from Mosher was/will be replaced by a negative vote from Cleary.

Apparently regional council voted this down today because 6 storeys are TOO TALL.

Shameful. Absolutely shameful.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Apparently regional council voted this down today because 6 storeys are TOO TALL.

The proposal was 7 storeys.
On election day I told many people that everything had changed. A day or two later I posted somewhere 'If you didn't get approval before Saturday you are out of luck'.
I have previously predicted that the new council would see more tied or close votes but the vote today was a resounding 'No'.
The previous Council voted in favour of almost every development proposal and those days will not return for some time.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The proposal was 7 storeys.
On election day I told many people that everything had changed. A day or two later I posted somewhere 'If you didn't get approval before Saturday you are out of luck'.
I have previously predicted that the new council would see more tied or close votes but the vote today was a resounding 'No'.
The previous Council voted in favour of almost every development proposal and those days will not return for some time.
Well then they better stop blathering on about the evils of sprawl and the need for density on the peninsula, because clearly they do not want the latter which will lead to the former. Time to start building expressways to the suburbs.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Almost. They voted this down because 6 storeys are too tall, until May, when they agree 6 storeys will be just right. #dysfunctionalcouncil

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 2:07 AM

So this or a new development may be back in play. Residents of 6399 North St got notification today that they'd have to be out by Dec 1st to make way for building demolition and redevelopment. Can't find anything on the planning site, though.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
So this or a new development may be back in play. Residents of 6399 North St got notification today that they'd have to be out by Dec 1st to make way for building demolition and redevelopment. Can't find anything on the planning site, though.
Could it be to the effect that the developer already has the seven storey design approved and decided pushing for nine floors wasn't worth it? Or did the council pull a fast one and push this thru for other matters.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:29 PM

The site is zoned Corridor under Centre Plan, which allows up to 6 storeys. Maybe the developer decided just to go with that, and get approved via Site Plan Approval, which would explain why nothing is on the planning website.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The site is zoned Corridor under Centre Plan, which allows up to 6 storeys. Maybe the developer decided just to go with that, and get approved via Site Plan Approval, which would explain why nothing is on the planning website.
Perhaps he is counting on a wholesale purge of Council in the fall elections which would let him then go back for a different result.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 2:53 AM

As part of the new Regional Centre Plan the Design Advisory Committee was formed. This committee will deal with approval of Level II and III Site Plan approvals. This is essentially the same role as the Design REVIEW Committee has in the downtown plan area. The DAC starts meeting this next week and this project is the first to test out the system.

Design Advisory Committee - September 16, 2020

This site falls under the corridor planning rules so it is considered a six-storey building plus bonus level (7-stories), it will have 128 residential units, ~130 parking stalls underground, and be clad in brick masonry on the base and metal siding on the upper floors. Ground floor units will have individual entries and there will be a private courtyard behind the building.

- DJ

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 12:10 PM

Wow. Reading the documentation at the link reveals an excellent example of planning bureaucracy run amok. Page upon page of minutely detailed requirements and staff analysis of same, then a proposal that looks uninspired and a lot like every other similar building constructed in recent years, arguably only worse. All of that time and money spent by HRM isn't buying us much.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Wow. Reading the documentation at the link reveals an excellent example of planning bureaucracy run amok. Page upon page of minutely detailed requirements and staff analysis of same, then a proposal that looks uninspired and a lot like every other similar building constructed in recent years, arguably only worse. All of that time and money spent by HRM isn't buying us much.
I don't know, I think that sheets A4.1, A4.2, and A4.4 show that the massing does a pretty good job of transitioning to the scale of the adjacent detached housing. The requirements provide minimums for respecting setbacks, stepbacks, basic massing, fenestration and openness. Inspiring design from the Architect is a separate issue in my mind.

Are there any designs locally for this size and type of development, unhindered by the requirements, that you think illustrate the benefit of not having basic design criteria defined? I wonder if it's an issue with clash between your expectations and the local development/design community rather than the bylaws?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:03 AM

Demolition permits were just issued for this site.

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 1:27 AM

There is a new application sign posted to the building with a new rendering, I can't find anything online yet.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:20 AM

Try this: http://mosaikproperties.ca/oxfordnorth/

On that note, we can probably update the topic name to 'Oxford North'.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 7:39 PM

Renderings now available from the link above:

Oxford North

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 4:22 PM

While the demolition of the former nun's residence is on hold while Council tries to figure out how to save face (or derail this proposal entirely because of one problem tenant, who knows), I drove past the site yesterday ad saw that construction fencing has been erected. But to my surprise it was not just the building on the corner but a pair of adjacent 2-storey homes on North St as well that are due to come down.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:15 PM

The house to the east has been demolished.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 4:11 PM

Demolition is under way. Photos by me today:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the pics. I didn't know that this was of cinder block construction. Interesting.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 3:40 PM

Crane base is in for this one.

- DJ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth