HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:46 PM
hi

Welp, here's your problem:

https://twitter.com/NS_TIR

Also, a couple shots of the roof damage:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 10:30 PM

Duct tape, Gorilla tape, Shoe Goo? Which would work best?

Geez, what a mess!

Last edited by hoser111; Sep 30, 2019 at 10:31 PM. Reason: spelling...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 11:12 PM

How do you eat the elephant? One piece at a time.

This entire adventure is going to be a very interesting engineering case study for future students. I hope the project managers are recording everything. The Halifax solution if you will, if this type of thing ever happens again.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
This entire adventure is going to be a very interesting engineering case study for future students.
It'd be both very exciting and very nerve-wracking to be the team working on this one!

I'm curious about the damage to the slab. Does anyone know if that requires the whole slab to be removed and re-poured, or can they cut back just part of it?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:16 PM

Slowly/surely, the crane is being removed from the site:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...oval-1.5320473

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:32 AM

South Park Street has reopened along with Victoria Park. A mobile crane is still blocking off Clyde Street. The localized state of emergency has been lifted.

- DJ

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:54 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This one should be topping off soon right?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
This one should be topping off soon right?
I think 'topping out ' was the reason for the delay in removing the crane. Cement as far as I have researched needs 28 Days to properly harden and the Hurricane happened shortly after the topping out happened with softer Cement.
I imagine, but do not know, that the Crane removal folks were waiting for the Cement on the top floors to help the process by slowly getting harder as the days went by. More support literally. The photos released by the province clearly showed the Cement vertical supports as part of the damaged upper floors. I submit to more experienced commenters if I am wrong.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 7:56 PM

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 2:32 AM
Halifax Promoter!

What did happen to that site? Did they keep the damaged floors or get rid of them?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
What did happen to that site? Did they keep the damaged floors or get rid of them?
It appears that they are keeping the damaged floors. Looks like they have been repaired.
I watched them install the white panel cladding on this building. What looks like a nice small scaled quality building is sabotaged by a lack luster install of the white panels. I don't think there's an equal gap between any of the panels. Maybe they will swing around and fix them. But somehow I doubt it.
I suspect the black panels are the same but without the shadow line between the panels they look better.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 8:30 PM

- DJ

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 5:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not sure if this rendering has been posted yet:

Source

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 6:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I thought the Trillium podium was too short back when it was first built and it's going to feel more out of place as other buildings go up with medium-scale 4-6 storey lower portions.

5 floors on this building is much more suitable given the width of the park and 2 streets.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 7:13 PM

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 5:23 PM

God I would be upset if I purchased one of those million dollar water view Trillium condos, this just shows you how close they really are.

But hey, you don't own the view. I actually really like the South Park St. presence this one has!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 6:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
God I would be upset if I purchased one of those million dollar water view Trillium condos, this just shows you how close they really are.
They're market-rate units, so whatever drawback that has gets priced in. Either the unit ends up being cheaper or there are people who don't care much about alley vs. park views and they move in along the alley or block interior.

An interesting question is whether you'd rather have a park view or $50,000 or another bedroom, something like that. I suspect different people would have a range of preferences. I can't say I'd sacrifice a lot of living space for a view but I don't like dark units.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
They're market-rate units, so whatever drawback that has gets priced in. Either the unit ends up being cheaper or there are people who don't care much about alley vs. park views and they move in along the alley or block interior.

An interesting question is whether you'd rather have a park view or $50,000 or another bedroom, something like that. I suspect different people would have a range of preferences. I can't say I'd sacrifice a lot of living space for a view but I don't like dark units.
I think the OP was talking about condo owners in The Trillium who lost their DT/harbor view. They did not get a price break at the time but those units will be devalued now.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 4:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I think the OP was talking about condo owners in The Trillium who lost their DT/harbor view. They did not get a price break at the time but those units will be devalued now.
But any time you have a unit like that facing into the middle of the block there is a risk another building will be built next door. Similarly, the higher floor units tend to sell for more. Understanding what might be built nearby in the future is property buying 101.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
But any time you have a unit like that facing into the middle of the block there is a risk another building will be built next door. Similarly, the higher floor units tend to sell for more. Understanding what might be built nearby in the future is property buying 101.
I would normally agree with you - but I would also say that the Trillium was the first high rise downtown that kicked off the building craze we are currently seeing. The people that bought the condos for way above market value are definitely not happy right now.

The good thing is, with the rental market the way it is - they will never have a problem renting these units for 3K+

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth