HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:34 PM
Just 183 km north of...

My guess is that a small one bed one bath on the ground/lowest floor would be in the $389k range.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post
My guess is that a small one bed one bath on the ground/lowest floor would be in the $389k range.
Yeah that sounds about right. I was thinking that a 2 bed 1 bath would definitely be over 400k. Does anyone know how soundproof these new developments are? Are they usually concrete?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 2:34 AM

Welcome to the forum!

A July 20 piece in AllNovaScotia suggested that the units would not be that expensive, as they are on the smaller side (by Halifax standards). Prices at Southport (same developer, more desirable location) started at $204,000 for 500-square-foot units. The article said the NRTH price list and floorplans would be released in August.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Welcome to the forum!

A July 20 piece in AllNovaScotia suggested that the units would not be that expensive, as they are on the smaller side (by Halifax standards). Prices at Southport (same developer, more desirable location) started at $204,000 for 500-square-foot units. The article said the NRTH price list and floorplans would be released in August.
Thanks! Honestly that surprises me because I was bracing myself for them to be very pricey. Now I'm REALLY intrigued and looking forward to the price list and floorplan release in August

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the forum!

Any way to link that article?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:28 PM

These developers are from Toronto and in their past Halifax projects have used the "loss leader" approach that's commonly seen in Ontario. I suspect there will be a few (very small) units available in the mid- to high-$200s so they can say something like, "units starting at $275,000!"

Then my guess is the rest of the units will range from mid-$300s and up, with a penthouse unit or two in the $500-$600k range.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
These developers are from Toronto and in their past Halifax projects have used the "loss leader" approach that's commonly seen in Ontario. I suspect there will be a few (very small) units available in the mid- to high-$200s so they can say something like, "units starting at $275,000!"

Then my guess is the rest of the units will range from mid-$300s and up, with a penthouse unit or two in the $500-$600k range.
Makes sense. That seems pretty encouraging tbh, I mean if a penthouse is in the $500-$600k range I feel like I could get something pretty decent for $400k, which would be my max budget.

I appreciate all of the insight

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyTanyaM View Post
Any way to link that article?
AllNS is subscription-based and I don't think there's a way to link to content for free.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
AllNS is subscription-based and I don't think there's a way to link to content for free.
Ah no problem, I wasn't aware that it was subscription based. Thanks for letting me know!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 7:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Here in Vancouver the way it works is there's one terrible 400 square foot unit wedged between the elevators and garbage bins that gets listed for $399,000 but most are significantly more expensive. I am not even sure if these units are "loss leaders" in the sense of being below cost or the price they could sell for. I am sure developers look at how to divvy up the undesirable characteristics and that sometimes results in a few really bad ones that have a legitimately low market value.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here in Vancouver the way it works is there's one terrible 400 square foot unit wedged between the elevators and garbage bins that gets listed for $399,000 but most are significantly more expensive. I am not even sure if these units are "loss leaders" in the sense of being below cost or the price they could sell for. I am sure developers look at how to divvy up the undesirable characteristics and that sometimes results in a few really bad ones that have a legitimately low market value.
Wow that really sucks. Guess things could be worse here!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah that sounds about right. I was thinking that a 2 bed 1 bath would definitely be over 400k. Does anyone know how soundproof these new developments are? Are they usually concrete?
Floors are always concrete of course. And there may be SOME concrete wall sections between units but not for sound proofing reasons. Just as sheer walls. But really, modern soundproofing isn’t about concrete. Concrete actually isn’t as soundproof as people think.

The number one most effective tool for soundproofing is separation of structure. You need a sound break between units. Basically an air gap. You don’t want ANY common structure between the units. So two units should never share the same studs for instance. Some places cheap out with a single wall assembly between units but may use resilient channel on the studs (lightweight horizontal strapping) in an attempt to mechanically isolate the drywall surfaces between units.

Another approach when using a single common wall are viscoelastic dampening compounds (green glue). Or special drywall that sandwiches two sheets with a dampening compound (quiet rock). But these are retrofit applications. Too expensive for new construction and not as effective as a simple double wall anyway. Which takes zero skill or training to do so contractors can’t screw it up. It’s REALLY REALLY easy to accidentally “short circuit” the sound isolation with single wall approaches. One screw into a stud instead of the resilient channel and the soundproofing is ruined. Some older apartments won’t let you hang stuff on the wall with screws / nails for this reason (The Jaimison)

But the GOLD STANDARD (as I just alluded to) is two complete separate walls. With double wall construction (so there is NO common structure between units at all) you have absolutely incredible sound attenuation between units. Combine that with double drywall (mass isn’t the be all / end all but it helps a little) plus resilient channel and you have near perfect sound proofing. And again, double wall uses standard construction methods that any contractor can easily accomplish.

I live in Monaghan Square and actually put a deposit down on one of the $199,000 units when it went on sale in 2015. And I asked for actual architectural drawings of the party wall assemblies. And it’s double wall with double drywall hung on resilient channel. And although the condo fell though it was still built to that spec (although the East tower just has single drywall but still double wall + resilient channel). I live there now as a renter (sadly). But let me tell you, the soundproofing is INSANE. There is someone on my floor with a piano. A REAL PIANO. You can hear it outside in the hallway of course, but inside your unit you cannot hear a thing! Nothing. I was in the West tower originally and I remember I went out once late at night to take the trash down and was surprised to hear that someone was having moderately noise party (good sized group of people carrying on, laughing, talking loud, music etc) but I had NO idea there was even a party going on until I left my unit.

I’m sure any condo today would be built to the same specs. Although I would ask of course. I also lived briefly in The Boss in Fairview (while waiting for my “condo” to be built... sob) and even though that’s a brand new building, the soundproofing is atrocious. Absolutely non-existent. Even with music at a normal listening volume it carries right through the walls. That building uses a single stud wall between units and the difference is night and day. The property management company is also a nightmare / mob-like but… that’s another story.

Final thought… think about a wall like the soundboard of a guitar. If you strike a tuning fork in the air you can barely hear it. But touch it to the soundboard of an acoustic guitar or a wall or table or whatever and the tuning fork sound will fill the room. So you don’t want to share a “soundboard” (wall) with your neighbour or you’ll hear everything. Two separate walls... a.k.a “double wall construction”… is what you want. That air gap stops the vibrations in its tracks and gives it nowhere to go. People always think soundproofing it about insulation or special materials or whatever but most of those things do next to nothing. Maybe a few decibels. The #1 thing you need is separation of structure. Sound between units travels through structure more so than air (unless there’s a hole in your wall… LOL)

Last edited by Takeo; Jul 25, 2020 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 12:10 PM

Thanks for sharing this great info re: soundproofing!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
Thanks for sharing this great info re: soundproofing!
Indeed! I never knew about those techniques.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Indeed! I never knew about those techniques.
I second that! Great information about soundproofing! That's really shitty when they take shortcuts and cheap out on insulating materials and/or building techniques to separate units. I will definitely be verifying that before I consider buying anything.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 4:14 AM

The floorplans are now online. But no prices yet.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
The floorplans are now online. But no prices yet.
Yeah, we finally got the email notification! My partner and I booked an appointment for Monday to speak with them...guess we’ll finally get an idea on the price point then!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 12:33 PM

Apparently all demising walls are solid poured in place concrete + a gypsum wall assembly. All units also have an exposed concrete wall. Not sure what kind of sound attenuation you get with bare concrete? Probably pretty good.

Prices are not cheap. If you want parking and any kind of view (other than a neighbour’s wall) you’re in the ballpark of $450,000+ for a 650-700sf 2 bedroom. If you can do without a view the lowest possible price with a parking spot is $399,900 for the smallest 2 bedroom. None of the 1 bedrooms (all north facing) qualify for parking.

Last edited by Takeo; Oct 26, 2020 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Apparently all demising walls are solid poured in place concrete + a gypsum wall assembly. All units also have an exposed concrete wall. Not sure what kind of sound attenuation you get with bare concrete? Probably pretty good.

Prices are not cheap. If you want parking and any kind of view (other than a neighbour’s wall) you’re in the ballpark of $450,000+ for a 650-700sf 2 bedroom. If you can do without a view the lowest possible price with a parking spot is $399,900 for the smallest 2 bedroom. None of the 1 bedrooms (all north facing) qualify for parking.
Yeah it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting in terms of price. We have our eye on a 709 sq ft unit for $399 999. That would be without a parking spot as parking spots would cost an additional $40k! Decisions must be made quickly because I'm certain all units will be sold at lighting speed.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting in terms of price. We have our eye on a 709 sq ft unit for $399 999. That would be without a parking spot as parking spots would cost an additional $40k! Decisions must be made quickly because I'm certain all units will be sold at lighting speed.
The parking is what kills me. When I bought a unit in Monaghan 4 years ago (before that project got cancelled) parking was $20,000. The prices don’t look TOO bad until you factor in parking. But who doesn’t need parking?! I’ve been looking forward to this project for years but… I think I’m out. I can’t justify half a million bucks on a single income. If I had a partner, sure. But as a single person I’d be house poor. I’d rather invest my money i think.

Last edited by Takeo; Oct 27, 2020 at 4:15 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth