HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Really excited to see this! I also love how there is a clear footprint on it
Lol - good catch! Kicking it into place should do the trick. This is a beauty from the outside. Nice to see this one wrapping up.

After looking at the floor plans - there's only a few units I would personally want to live in though. The irregular shape makes for some pretty ....interesting units. Wonder what the prices will be like.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
There's a lot riding on the success of the sandstone - I'm excited to see how this turns out!
Hopefully it does not detract from the street-level appeal of the building. Need to see more of the installation before passing judgement.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Hopefully it does not detract from the street-level appeal of the building. Need to see more of the installation before passing judgement.
As long as the sandstone is reinstalled properly, which is at least partially dependent on the exterior dimensions being exactly the same as the previous structure, it should look great, as the Zellers building was an attractive one.

The only other variables would be how they treat the areas that weren't originally covered with sandstone, such as along the side where the entrance to Zellers 'bargain basement' (and later Secretary's bar) was once located.

My impression thusfar is that the attention to detail has been very good, so I am very optimistic that the result will be great.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 1:24 PM

My concern is that this is of course used and weathered material that may look very out of place on this new and modern-design structure. We will see.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 3:58 PM

Understood. But this is the Barrington Street Heritage Conservation District, and the original Zellers building, of which only the cladding remains, was one of the more identifiable landmarks of that district. The original cladding is part of the heritage of that street, and many (including myself) feel that the contrast of a new gleaming tower and the remains of the original building materials is a character-adding feature, and not a negative.

And honestly I don't think we want a repeat of the Roy Building. In that case, trying to mimic originality with new, similar materials, but without the benefit of craftsmanship of the early twentieth century ended in a less desirable result, where the re-imagined new brick facade is much less attractive than the original that it replaced. An architectural failure in my opinion. Not to mention that there was nothing even close to "heritage conservation" involved, other than the name of the building.

If you want to see completely new, gleaming structures you only have to go a street or two up or down to see them, so I don't see an issue with trying to maintain the heritage elements of one prominent street in the downtown.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 9:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
I'm thrilled to see that. Unlike the Roy Building developers, it appears the Ghosns were serious about preserving those historic features.
The Roy is a bit confusing because the developers clearly put a lot of effort into the development and paid for some high-quality materials. Yet the Barrington facade is also covered in unsightly ventilation grills. Had they kept the bottom 2 floors of the Roy facade on Barrington and matched the rest it might have turned out better. There's not much difference between the Roy as it exists today and a really great development.

There was some discussion of Portland ME in the Canada section so I spent a bunch of time looking at streetview. I think Halifax has much more ambitious modern development but Portland has a lot of carefully-preserved buildings. If you listened to Halifax developers, you'd get the impression that Portland ME could not possibly exist since it's a small city packed with "uneconomical" (i.e. potentially-non-profit-maximizing-under-some-development-regime) buildings.

Demolitions aside Halifax still has lots of semi-preserved historic buildings that could look dramatically more impressive than they do right now with some maintenance. The Pacific Building is one example. St. Paul's building with its "headband" where a cornice should be is another more subtle example. The Province House grounds and Grand Parade are both a bit of a mess too. Halifax has so many areas that could be great but are marred by cheapness or neglect.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 8:43 PM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 3:10 PM

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 9:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Brick going up on the other side:

Source

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 6:02 PM

It's actually not brick. It is more of the same ceramic type that is on the side of the tower but in a brick colour.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 5:11 AM

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 6:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There was some discussion of Portland ME in the Canada section so I spent a bunch of time looking at streetview. I think Halifax has much more ambitious modern development but Portland has a lot of carefully-preserved buildings. If you listened to Halifax developers, you'd get the impression that Portland ME could not possibly exist since it's a small city packed with "uneconomical" (i.e. potentially-non-profit-maximizing-under-some-development-regime) buildings.
Portland is a really cool city. We visit it often. It has an amazing urban centre for its size, and there are a lot of interesting developments happening there.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 5:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some close-ups of the facade work. Not sure how to interpret what's going on with the Green Lantern storefronts. Is that a new metal beam running above the storefront windows?

Source

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 10:56 PM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 6:50 PM

Source: Developments HFX on Facebook

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 11:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Those vents are pretty disappointing. They might look a lot better even if they just matched the sandstone colour.

I don't think this is common in construction in other cities, where the main facade of a new masonry building has conspicuous vents. The Roy has this too.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 1:40 AM

Are you even kidding about the vents?
The developers have done a great job preserving the original facade, at I'm sure an incredible expense, and you comment on a vent?
Really?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 2:48 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builditfan View Post
Are you even kidding about the vents?
The developers have done a great job preserving the original facade, at I'm sure an incredible expense, and you comment on a vent?
Really?
I’m happy the developer kept the facade, and the effort that went in is apparent.

However, I don’t think that should prevent us from envisioning the ideal. Personally the colour of the vents on this one doesn’t bother me, but their symmetry does. I really think the vents all come down to changing uses, building codes, and so on... The vents here are already a little better than the Roy, why not encourage the next ones to be even nicer?

Otherwise Granville st. is looking much cleaner, thanks Roshan!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth