HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The Paramount sign is visible so it's after 1935.

Beyond that I can't really narrow it down. Most of the foreground buildings depicted are registered heritage properties so they were built well before 1935 and are still standing today.

Can anyone figure out what the sign is on the waterfront? Or the details on the smokestack on Sackville Street?
My understanding is the Paramount opened in 1948 or 49. It replaced the Orpheus, which opened as a movie house in 1935 and closed in '47. (NSARM has photos of the Orpheus taken during WWII.) The photo was taken before the Birks Building received its modernized store front, I believe in 1954. And in the background of the photo are Nova Scotia Light and Power's gas towers. NSLP exited the gas business in 1953. So all that suggests that photo was taken between 1949 and 1953.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:37 PM

Thanks ns_kid. I did not know (or had forgotten...lol) that they were still using gas up into the 1950s.

Here are a couple pics from a similar vantage point that I'm fairly confident are from the 1920s era:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/MacAs...es.asp?ID=3607

https://novascotia.ca/archives/MacAs...es.asp?ID=3608

And here's one from around the start of the Second World War:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/EastC...es.asp?ID=1107

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:45 PM

The left-turning car looks a lot like a Mazda to me.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The Paramount sign is visible so it's after 1935.

Beyond that I can't really narrow it down. Most of the foreground buildings depicted are registered heritage properties so they were built well before 1935 and are still standing today.

Can anyone figure out what the sign is on the waterfront? Or the details on the smokestack on Sackville Street?
I'm not sure of the purpose or origin of the smokestack, but here are a couple of photos that show it from a closer vantage point.

Billboards in corner lot Sackville and Argyle Streets, Halifax
[195-]
Retrieval code: CR2.10

Corner lot Sackville and Argyle Streets
[195-]
Retrieval code: CR2.11

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The left-turning car looks a lot like a Mazda to me.
Could be, I'm not confident in it being a Tempo/Topaz.

What year and model of Mazda do you think it is?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

I think its a Tempo/Topaz....look at the black door frame between the front and rear passenger windows.

The car next to the Camaro is an 80's era Honda Wagon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_...012_rear_1.JPG

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
I think its a Tempo/Topaz....look at the black door frame between the front and rear passenger windows.

The car next to the Camaro is an 80's era Honda Wagon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_...012_rear_1.JPG
I'm still leaning towards Tempo/Topaz - the front side marker is the same shape as Topaz.

I think you nailed it on the wagovan!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:

I could be convinced it was a Tempo based on the front half but the rear quarter and rear window looks nothing like a Tempo.

It could be a Mazda 626 circa 1983-84 or so, which was based on a Euro Ford.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 10:31 PM

That era of 626 was sharp edged and blocky, whereas the Fords had softer edges like in the photo. I think the wall edge and gateway posts at the entrance to the Grand Parade are creating an opportunity to misinterpret the rear proportions of the vehicle.

So, not convinced it's a 626, actually convinced it's not... still thinking Tempo/Topaz (second gen, not first).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
That era of 626 was sharp edged and blocky, whereas the Fords had softer edges like in the photo. I think the wall edge and gateway posts at the entrance to the Grand Parade are creating an opportunity to misinterpret the rear proportions of the vehicle.

So, not convinced it's a 626, actually convinced it's not... still thinking Tempo/Topaz (second gen, not first).
Second-gen would be in the future at the time of this pic though, so not possible. So I'm convinced it isn't that.

Here is the Mazda:

Not 100% sure of what it is but it is a real puzzle.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Second-gen would be in the future at the time of this pic though, so not possible. So I'm convinced it isn't that.

Here is the Mazda:

Not 100% sure of what it is but it is a real puzzle.
Which aspect of this photo convinces you that it couldn't be 1988 (first year of second gen Tempo)?

Not really seeing the Mazda, but not really convinced it's anything else, really.

This will be the last I'll beat this dead horse (lol), but here is the closest angle I could find for 1988 Tempo:

Mystery car:

1984 Mazda 626:

https://barnfinds.com/1500-rust-free-1984-mazda-626-lx/

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Apr 4, 2020 at 4:27 AM. Reason: Added Mazda pic

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 2:32 PM

The blowup makes me agree it isn't a Mazda.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 3:52 PM

Well, the photo quality leaves a lot to be desired, plus it would be easier to guess if the back end wasn't cut off by the wall and gate post.

Regardless, I'm somewhat convinced that the photo is from 1988 or 89. I did a google search last night for halifax aquarium proposal, and it turned up this result:
Quote:
SPECIAL COUNCIL PUBLIC HEARING MINUTES Council ...legacycontent.halifax.ca › documents › 102-1a-1989-p150-231
PDF
Mar 8, 1989 - why the proposed area on Dakin Drive should remain as R-1. Ms. ... received: 4 March 1989, M. C. McKenna, 183 Cresthaven Dr. 4 March 1989, Bill and ... City Council and of the City of Halifax, presented Staff. Sergeant Lloyd ... QUESTIONS. Question Alderman Fitzgerald Re: Proposed National Aquarium.
I clicked on the link from the google search and for some reason it couldn't bring it up, but the text indicates that there was some kind of proposal that was being discussed in 1989, and I suspect that the photo posted here was part of that proposal.

The screen that came up when I clicked on the link said
Quote:
Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Maybe it will be retrievable at a later date. When I went to look up old council minutes on the Municipal Archives site, I got the same message.

So, that's all I've got for now...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 1:32 AM

Maybe a Mercury Sable? This is a 1987:

1987 Mercury Sable LS by tolaviator, on Flickr

I can remember Mercury still being a fairly common brand in the early-mid 90s. I can't remember the last time I've seen one though.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 12:32 PM

I had thought about the Sable, but ruled it out as the Sable had wrap-around rear glass, whereas the car in the photo has a distinct body-colour C-pillar.

Hardly any Mercurys around these days as daily drivers, since the brand ended almost a decade ago. You still see a few when the classic cars come out in the summertime, though.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 12:48 PM

Heritage advisory committee recommends redevelopment plan for downtown buildings:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...plan-1.5603108

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 10:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

One question that has come up is whether the Dennis facade will come down and then be rebuilt or if it should be stabilized on site during construction. It'll be interesting to see how the Discovery Centre vs. Green Lantern buildings turn out. One reassembled, one preserved and restored on site.

The biggest thing I wonder is how covid and the economy will impact the latest round of projects. I hope the momentum the city's been building up isn't lost. The projects keep getting better.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
One question that has come up is whether the Dennis facade will come down and then be rebuilt or if it should be stabilized on site during construction. It'll be interesting to see how the Discovery Centre vs. Green Lantern buildings turn out. One reassembled, one preserved and restored on site.

The biggest thing I wonder is how covid and the economy will impact the latest round of projects. I hope the momentum the city's been building up isn't lost. The projects keep getting better.
I hope they keep it up. There's a certain feel about living in one of these older units that just can't be recreated, and there's very few of these left in the urban core.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 6:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Anybody know what's happening with this? I haven't seen any update in a while. They were under a somewhat strict schedule before; not sure how covid has impacted that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Approved by the Design Review Committee in their December 17 meeting: https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/boa...mittee-special

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth