HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 11:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I dunno what the rates will be compared to Vancouver. A similar hotel in Halifax tends to be a bit cheaper, all else being equal.

There's a certain amount of demand for higher end rooms that just happens as cities get bigger, although I am sure part of the idea behind this hotel was convention traffic. Some people stay in whatever hotel is nicest, and $300 a night is hardly ultra-luxury territory. I'd imagine that when a hotel chain like this opens up they take a fairly long view of the business; this hotel has been planned for years, and will not be operating until the fall.

If anything Halifax has had a conspicuous lack of a nicer hotel for a few years. Some developers have complained that there's been too much construction of small downtown hotels when there should have been a new major destination hotel (maybe 500-1,000 rooms) similar to what the Nova Scotian or Lord Nelson were when they opened. It is too bad they couldn't build a taller tower on this site. The Nova Centre pretty much used up the available envelope.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 11:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Incidentally this makes me think of just how long it takes to go from demolition and excavation to a fully-occupied development. For the Nova Centre it will be 5 years or more.

In an area like Spring Garden Road which is being built out now (Margaretta, Brenton Suites, Doyle) we may not see the full impact of the added density on foot traffic and businesses for a couple of years.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 11:26 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I was curious to hear how the Halifax one would turn out. There are a few around Canada. The one here in Vancouver is, I think, a bit higher end than any existing larger than boutique sized Halifax hotel. It's what I might describe as a traditional-looking medium-high-end hotel (I think around $300 a night), with somewhat frilly decor rather than sleek modern stuff.
We have a Sutton going up here in Winnipeg. It's a 5 star hotel attached to the convention center and arena - the kind of place NHL players will be staying for games.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 1:22 AM

I spent several weeks in the Grand Hotel,Yokohama. Late 1967 and into 1968. Don't have a clue what it cost. I was sent there and just signed a chit for every meal and drink. Great food, nice steaks. Sat next to New York bankers and shipowners every night for 3-4 weeks and had a lovely view of the waterfront gardens and park. Tough life.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:19 AM

Once Americans can come and visit that $300 a night rack rate becomes $180US less whatever deals are offered on sites like Trivago, so I wouldn't think they would find it outrageous at all.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 11:38 AM

I've payed close to that for a non-business trip if the location was important, and this is probably one of the best locations in the city for being right in the middle of things and probably with the best views of any hotel currently. If one was coming to town to attend an event at the Scotiabank Centre and wanted to stay in a nice place, closest to eating and drinking establishments, it would be ideal.

Another aspect is how difficult it can be to book a hotel room in Halifax at times. I recall a couple of years ago we had 4 associates visiting from abroad, who wanted to extend their business trip for a couple of days, and their hotel was completely booked up. On checking EVERY hotel in Halifax, the best we could get them was the Hilton Garden Suites near Aerotech park. So definitely a favourable supply/demand ratio for hotel owners. On that basis alone it should do fine (coronavirus conditions notwithstanding).

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 1:02 PM

According to the Sutton Place website, the standard rate for a king "luxury guest room" in mid-October is $286; a promotional advance booking rate is $201. The top accommodation, the 532 sq ft. Grand Suite, is $411 or $288 for the best promotional rate.

By contrast, for the same dates down the street at the Prince George, a deluxe king room lists at $309 or $278 advance purchase. The 600 sq. ft. Executive Suite is $609 or $548.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 10:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Great photo of the Money Pit.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 4:17 AM

Started getting facebook ads for the hotel yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 12:56 PM
life in the present

That BMO logo is far too large and really takes away from the overall look of the Nova Centre, placement over the windows is terrible too, same goes for the Sutton Place Hotel sign to a lesser degree. What's with the giant lettering?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 11:18 PM

Sutton Place Hotel opening on Spetember 8th

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 6:46 AM

Is it just me or does the fact that only 2 of the 3 towers have the light feature at the top drive anyone else crazy? I’m not sure if it’s because the hotel tower took longer to come online compared to the office towers, but I’m hoping that the light feature is installed to complete the look of the development.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 7:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Visible in this picture. I noticed that a lot of new lighting features are visible in this shot including lights installed on older buildings. Also noticeable is the shift away from orange sodium lighting.

Source

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 7:50 PM

I don't have a camera that is good enough to capture it but I can see the skyline at night from my house and it definitely looks more like a thriving and alive city with a good variety of lighting features now. Much more so than 10 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I don't have a camera that is good enough to capture it but I can see the skyline at night from my house and it definitely looks more like a thriving and alive city with a good variety of lighting features now. Much more so than 10 years ago.
It's definitely coming along. Now we just need a few nice 30-35 storey towers sprinkled into the mix and it will be perfect

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 1:15 AM

Stayed on the top floor of the Sutton Place Hotel last weekend (19th floor). Here are some photos of the view!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:15 AM

(Source)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 9:43 PM

Rare view from inside:

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 10:59 AM

Hopefully those tables, chairs and electrical lines on the floor are remnants of its use as a testing/vaccination center and not a permanent feature. The lines on the floor violate every code known to man.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth