HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:56 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Can it be true... a building that isn't flat topped, with some detail???

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Can it be true... a building that isn't flat topped, with some detail???
Surely some mistake!!

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 3:01 PM

I like the massing. Dunno about those crenelments. But as always, success or failure will come down to material choices.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:33 PM

Wow! A tower that looks like an actual tower. With a bottom, a top and a middle. I'm impressed.

Hopefully materials will be quality and make this a nice standout.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The HRM page says 23 storeys but the elevation suggests 22 (21 + penthouse, which is a bit hard to see in the rendering).

I agree the form looks interesting. Aside from having the bottom, middle, and top, it does not have the squat proportions of the average Halifax highrise. Around 20 floors a tower needs to be quite narrow to look tower-like.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The HRM page says 23 storeys but the elevation suggests 22 (21 + penthouse, which is a bit hard to see in the rendering).

I agree the form looks interesting. Aside from having the bottom, middle, and top, it does not have the squat proportions of the average Halifax highrise. Around 20 floors a tower needs to be quite narrow to look tower-like.
It also contains 4-6 units per floor as opposed to the usual floorplates which would have at least 8 or more units. It's nice to see a developer actually show that towers with these proportions are actually viable to the usual Halifax squat look.

This tower also emphasizes the vertical through its articulation and design. So many towers in Halifax emphasize the horizontal elements which in turn makes them look even more squat and out of proportion.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:49 PM

News story on this in the Herald today:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...street-539580/

Of course, Peggy Cameron is opposing it.

Quote:
The ground floor along Robie Street will be primarily a commercial space, according to the application put forward in May, and is “setback from the streetline to allow space for ‘spill out’ activity from the ground floor commercial units.”

There will also be individual balconies, two levels of underground parking, a rooftop patio space and interior amenity spaces, which haven’t been defined yet.

The application says the building has been designed to address four key design features: Massing, density, tower spacing and human-scale design, while also considering its effect on traffic and wind.

“Providing higher density housing at this location allows more people to live on the peninsula, which reduces travel distances to the amenities on the peninsula and downtown Halifax allowing residents to choose active transportation and transit to access their daily needs,” it says.

But Peggy Cameron says the proposal shouldn’t be reconsidered.

“It is effectively raising the dead,” the co-chair of Friends of Halifax Common, a non-profit group dedicated to preserving and expanding open and green space in HRM, said of the revised proposal.

In a letter addressed to Mayor Mike Savage, Halifax regional council and the city’s planners, Cameron says the development “is not necessary and will cause harm.”

“The list is endless,” Cameron said of the group’s concerns, such as density in the area, degradation of existing green spaces while not adding new ones and spacing between the other two towers.

It’s not the first time the group has been against a high rise in the area.

The Friends of Halifax Common also previously voiced their opposition to the 25-storey tower to be built on the corner of Robie Street and Quinpool Road.

“Adding this 23-storey Westwood proposal would form a wall of high-rises, standing between the unwanted 25-storey building and next to the Welsford high-rise,” Cameron said.

Like death and taxes, having Peggy Cameron oppose new development in HRM is inevitable.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 4:58 PM

Cameron et al are not just opposing it for one or two reasons. This time she actually says, “the list is endless.”

They must have a boilerplate objection document.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Cameron et al are not just opposing it for one or two reasons. This time she actually says, “the list is endless.”

They must have a boilerplate objection document.
Definitely. I can't wait to see the cries for more affordable housing along with the permanent opposition to any increased supply.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 6:04 PM

The proposal seems to be kosher with the Centre Plan, so perhaps this time this won't get bogged down terribly and Cameron and company will simply be forced to deal with it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 6:19 PM

"It’s not the first time the group has been against a high rise in the area."

I'll take understatements for a thousand, Alex.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 12:41 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This seems like a good spot for high density if ever there was one, in a city with a housing crunch that's trying to direct development from the suburbs into the core. It's a minor transportation hub with lots of public space and a commercial street nearby. It won't really block anybody's views (as Peggy Cameron says, it will be between two highrises), but it will provide many more people with nice views of the Commons.

In a few years I think Robie will sort of feel like an outer part of "downtown". It will still have some houses but there will be a lot of medium and high density development. It will be kind of like what South Park was like in the early 2000's. It will be interesting to see what happens with some of the wood Victorians and if there are more commercial conversions along the lines of SGR west but hopefully nicer looking. Robie would look quite handsome if it were a mix of modern buildings and thoughtful mixed use heritage buildings.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:48 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Peggy C. embodies everything wrong with public participation. When will the local press realize there are more concerned citizens than just her? I don’t mind NIMBYs featured in the media; it’s important, but they should at least feature multiple people since even those in opposition come from different angles.

Access to greenery is important, and adding these towers will bring more people who can enjoy the common. At some point it doesn’t feel like Cameron’s concern is about greenspace, but instead keeping new people out. It will be neat for the common to have more of a Central Park type vibe in the future.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:54 AM
Halifax Promoter!

You can email maundm@halifax.ca. It was in todays paper. The article was called "Feedback sought on Halifax high-rise proposal.... It states Halifax Regional Municipality is looking for feedback, positive or negative on this proposal. Since no public information meeting will be held for this, feedback can be submitted to the city planner processing the application, and that is Meaghan Maund/ She will take emails or phone calls (902) 233-0726). I have already submitted my email in favour. We can't let the Peggy Camerons win...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:14 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
You can email maundm@halifax.ca. It was in todays paper. The article was called "Feedback sought on Halifax high-rise proposal.... It states Halifax Regional Municipality is looking for feedback, positive or negative on this proposal. Since no public information meeting will be held for this, feedback can be submitted to the city planner processing the application, and that is Meaghan Maund/ She will take emails or phone calls (902) 233-0726). I have already submitted my email in favour. We can't let the Peggy Camerons win...
I agree, and great idea to include the link. We can now out-spam the spammers.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 3:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Thankfully Peggy Cameron and Friends' feedback message will never arrive in the HRM email inbox because her list of complaints is endless.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Peggy C. embodies everything wrong with public participation. When will the local press realize there are more concerned citizens than just her?
An excellent point.

I've always found the name "Friends of Halifax Common" (or "Friends of [anything]", for that matter) irritatingly presumptuous and pretentious. It invites the inference that those who don't belong to that group must, by definition, be enemies of the Common.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Jan 13, 2021 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 11:49 PM
Closed account

This is a road along a future BRT transit route, bike route, walking distance to anything you'd conceivably need, and as such one of the most desirable places to live in town. Looks like lots of commercial space to fill in the lot.

Cladding is going to make or break this one for sure, though. If it's all dark spandrel like the Vuze I'll have some words.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 12:22 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
This is a road along a future BRT transit route, bike route, walking distance to anything you'd conceivably need, and as such one of the most desirable places to live in town. Looks like lots of commercial space to fill in the lot.
Robie seems like a good example of a route that can be turned into a transit corridor. It has a lot of infill potential and runs past the universities and hospitals. It is good that the plan is to serve it with the BRT "green line", which continues on to Lacewood. I could see something like that route becoming LRT one day, although the grade around Fairview might be challenging.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 12:41 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I received an answer back from my email..... Hi Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the proposal for 2032-2050 Robie Street. I have included it in our file for the application. We will take this and all of the feedback into account as we make a recommendation to Council at the end of the process.

Kind regards,

Meaghan

MEAGHAN MAUND
PLANNER II

URBAN ENABLED APPLICATIONS | PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT

HΛLIFΛX

PO BOX 1749

HALIFAX NS B3J 3A5

M. 902.233.0726

halifax.ca

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth