HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
There was a work stoppage ordered yesterday for this site. I am not sure for how long.
Was there a work startage ?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:02 PM

Work stoppage is over, and work startage is on again today, Pelzant st is closed.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:35 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Work stoppage is over, and work startage is on again today, Pelzant st is closed.
I will not be sad to see this go.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 6:32 PM

Convenient place for me to stop for a red light.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

- DJ

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 9:19 PM

Looks good so far!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 12:23 PM

For Sale signs all over this property now , with right to develop in place

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 1:16 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
For Sale signs all over this property now , with right to develop in place
Who knows, This may end up happening sooner than most of us figured. A new rendering and new materials and away we go.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 12:13 AM

The new owner of the property is looking to have the development agreement discharged. If approved the zoning would revert to CEN-2 which is part of the Wyse Road Centre. The F.A.R. for this spot is 5.00.

Halifax Planning Case #22921

- DJ

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The new owner of the property is looking to have the development agreement discharged. If approved the zoning would revert to CEN-2 which is part of the Wyse Road Centre. The F.A.R. for this spot is 5.00.

Halifax Planning Case #22921
One of the owners, a medical doctor, lives in a triplex in Portland Estates; the other in a fourplex a short distance away.
A good site for a well designed building with curb appeal.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:22 PM

Updated proposal for this site. Zagrab Nova Developments is now seeking a site plan approval for a 8-storey 113-unit residential building with ground floor retail facing Wyse Road. Click on the rendering above for the Design Advisory Committee document.

- DJ

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:58 PM

Nice massing, and it's good to see developers including "in situ" renderings using actual site photos with real power lines and such.

Not holding my breath for the quality of the cladding though. Wood print steel siding sounds too much like what's on Lotus Point Living.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:01 PM

Interesting to see an engineer's logo on the drawing sheets and no mention of an architect (I was gonna snoop for other work by the same architect).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:23 PM

It wouldn't be a development in Halifax, if the proposal didn't shrink 3 times.

This time from 12 stories to 10 then 8 with a "max" height of 90m for the area and a block away from the Ghosn proposed 35 floor Harbour Gardens, this could be easily be taller.

It's another lost opportunity for the small area designated for buildings not to look like the usual short and squat buildings the Centre Plan prescribes...

To think I used to gripe about viewplanes from the privately owned Brightwood golf course, little did I know they would be expanded to the rest of Dartmouth within the Circ.

Like most people from Dartmouth, seeing this site redeveloped is a victory. Anyone remember its last iteration, the BYOB strip club named Sensations?
It's forever memorialized in the locally filmed show, Trailer Park Boys in an episode discussing VLT addiction.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
Like most people from Dartmouth, seeing this site redeveloped is a victory. Anyone remember its last iteration, the BYOB strip club named Sensations?
It's forever memorialized in the locally filmed show, Trailer Park Boys in an episode discussing VLT addiction.
I recall it being the Matador cabaret, and later the Crazy Horse cabaret (where some pretty good bands played), then later it was (yech) Little Nashville. I can recall later that they turned into some strip clubs or something - will have to consult the Trailer Park Boys episodes for confirmation...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:14 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I recall it being the Matador cabaret, and later the Crazy Horse cabaret (where some pretty good bands played), then later it was (yech) Little Nashville. I can recall later that they turned into some strip clubs or something - will have to consult the Trailer Park Boys episodes for confirmation...
Season 5, Episode 3. "The F***ing way she goes". It's a great show to watch when homesick.

I have a question for the planners in the room, not to be adversarial just trying to understand.
Did anyone in the planning department check the average size of the PID's in the areas designated for a FAR of 5 and what it would take to actually get to the 90m max height in the plan? It seems to me, someone would have to consolidate a few of these to allow for a footprint large enough to go up to 25-27 stories. Even the one on Robie and May does so and is only 8 stories high. Here, they would have to purchase the 2 or 3 properties down Wyse Rd. to achieve a building over 20 stories.

When council voted on the directive to concentrate growth to the core and a plan was created to address this. How did the department plan achieve that objective with this strategy? The CP has streamlined mediocrity so each greenfield site can get its own version of Box by ....... but we've restricted the sites so that the plan only works in an ideal situation with wholesale re-development of a few select areas. The limited budgets of these short buildings warrant very little effort from the builders let alone a landmark. We get buildings that conform but aren't very interesting. Built as planned though, adding inadequate amounts of units to a market that needs twice the numbers we are building..

The reason for my constant concern for the issue of height in Halifax, is this is a site dedicated to skyscrapers. Here we have a perfect case study of restricting height in an area and development stagnating for decades afterwards. The viewplanes in Dartmouth and Halifax hollowed out each respective downtown after being implemented and it seems we just expanded the case study to the rest of the city. At a time when we are finally growing and evolving as a city, we could use new thinking to go along with it.

Last edited by TheNovaScotian; Jun 8, 2021 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
Season 5, Episode 3. "The F***ing way she goes". It's a great show to watch when homesick.
Thanks! I'll look it up...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:55 PM

Just an update on this development

Yesterday (June 9) the Design Advisory Committee met and moved to defer this case due to several inconsistencies between rendering and drawing sets. Frankly, the proposal didn't seem to have the design resolved architecturally and the DAC saw through some half-baked work. (the DAC also asked the presenter who the architect was and it was like pulling teeth, I'm a novice but the exchange seemed strange to me)

This area is ripe for redevelopment and likely will soon see far more proposals come forward (rightly so). Being one of the first larger ones in this area, it's quite important to be a good one - set a good taste for what future developers can offer that area.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 2:50 PM

Very disappointing in the case of the developer, but reassuring that the checks and balances in place on the city side appear to be working.

Thanks very much for the update!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 3:45 PM

Construction permit has been issued for this project. It's listed as 99 units in 9 floors and $21.4 million.

The address is coming up as 30 Pelzant Street.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:23 AM

Excavation has started on this site.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

- DJ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth