HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 10:32 PM

Demolition is coming along, although it was a shorter day when the excavator lost it's footing. No reported injuries.

Photo Credit : WaterfrontMdaHfx on Twitter

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:25 PM

Wow! Glad there were no injuries!

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:13 PM

I wonder what the Labour department thinks of this ? Appears to be a case of failure to operate safely and a rush to complete the job.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I wonder what the Labour department thinks of this ? Appears to be a case of failure to operate safely and a rush to complete the job.
It leads me to wonder just how much re training in all trades, professions and practices this COVID silliness will demand. Exhibit one?

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
It leads me to wonder just how much re training in all trades, professions and practices this COVID silliness will demand. Exhibit one?
I wonder of the Department of Labour shut the site down.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 10:28 AM

I first heard about it from a twitter account that follows emergency services scanners. With emergency services notified, Department of Labour would have been automatically.

I don’t see where there is any sign of rushing. Demolition would be challenging work with unknowns and a changing structure. It appears a void must have partially caved in. This looks a little more extreme than it is due to the arm position. Had the tracks been 90 degrees to where they are, there would have been no problem as excavators can handle steep grades.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 12:25 PM

The garage is fully down and the tower is starting to come down. They had the top floor off when I drove by yesterday.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:04 AM

Would this be the tallest demolition in Halifax history?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:20 AM
hi

From a few days ago:

Source

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:24 AM
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corker View Post
It's the tallest I can think of offhand!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 11:24 AM

The child in me wishes this was 25 years ago when it would have been more acceptable take this down in one big messy bang rather than the careful, controlled dismantling.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 11:56 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I hope they checked the load bearing strength of those concrete floors before lifting that demolition vehicle up there!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
The old hospital on Queen St where the Library and parking lots now stand was fairly big. Not sure if it was bigger though.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
The old hospital on Queen St where the Library and parking lots now stand was fairly big. Not sure if it was bigger though.
The Infirmary was definitely bigger, but not sure if it was taller.

Pic of the Halifax Infirmary complex from 1970:

Source:
Halifax Public Archives

Quote:
Item consists of an oblique aerial photograph centring on the Halifax Infirmary. The view looks west, showing Morris St. from Barrington St. (not shown) overlooking Schmidtville to just beyond Queen St. along the bottom-left of the image, and Spring Garden Rd. from Queen St. to Dresden Row along the top-right. The Sexton Memorial Gymnasium is in the bottom-right corner of the image, and a bit of Park Victoria Apartments is seen in the top-left.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:38 PM

^^ Nice find! There was a later addition that had a taller building that ran up to Spring Garden too.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
^^ Nice find! There was a later addition that had a taller building that ran up to Spring Garden too.
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Prior to the construction of the Designer Library, that corner of SGR was green space with mature trees as shown and adjacent to that a smallish parking lot. I do not recall any taller building there. The Emergency dept entrance was the first thing one encountered along Queen St.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
The Infirmary was definitely bigger, but not sure if it was taller.
Just to close the loop on this, it's hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the infirmary was nine floors whereas the Willow Tree site was ten floors plus mechanical penthouse, so assuming similar floor heights the Willow Tree site is a little taller, but it's close.

I know we're getting off topic here, but I love this quote from the 2004 announcement of the Infirmary demolition:
"This project is going to free up a large, prime piece of real estate in the heart of the capital city," said Mr. Russell. "It's time to get on with the job and make way for the future."
https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20040602001

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 9:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Citadel Inn is another highrise that was demolished. The sugar refineries were somewhat tall too.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:37 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Just to close the loop on this, it's hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the infirmary was nine floors whereas the Willow Tree site was ten floors plus mechanical penthouse, so assuming similar floor heights the Willow Tree site is a little taller, but it's close.

I know we're getting off topic here, but I love this quote from the 2004 announcement of the Infirmary demolition:
"This project is going to free up a large, prime piece of real estate in the heart of the capital city," said Mr. Russell. "It's time to get on with the job and make way for the future."
https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20040602001
16 years of priiiiime parking.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:57 PM

The Roy measured from the Granville side would be a fairly tall demolition. Different type, but the smokestacks at the old Lower Water Street generating plant were tall objects to demolish.

I know with the Roy and the Bank of Canada building where the Maple now is, the floors were reinforced with temporary bracing for the excavators. Although I heard the Bank of Canada building was very well built, they likely were not needed.

The round apartment building on Willet will be a tall demotion whenever that happens.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth