HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

307 Prince Albert in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You cannot talk about a patient's illness without understanding the disease. This is not about the Centre Plan which is just another victim of that same contagious disease.
Right, but talking about generalities will not likely progress 'this' discussion.

However, it doesn't appear that it will progress anyhow as all I'm hearing is crickets...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 11:54 PM

First reading in Regional Council happened on July 30th, there's a public hearing scheduled for september 17th

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 12:36 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Got a good look at the crane tonight. I do not see where this one has the ability to self jack. I'm with the previous poster, that this doesn't seem tall enough for the floors that are planned.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Looks like Austin's tantrum and threats against the long-suffering developer amounted to nothing:

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019...l-project.html

Given that HRM is seemingly made of money these days I'm surprised he isn't still arguing for this. But I'm glad he has admitted defeat.
It's very important this project move forward - it's important for certain members of city council to understand there is job is NOT to stop development in the city.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith p. View Post
it is the same for any development over 3 storeys in height in this town - tall-building phobia. Your question really should be much broader and not site specific. Why does the much-vaunted centre plan limit height so stringently? Why has virtually every development agreement hearing bogged down into a parade of citizens decrying the proposals by saying "it's too tall!!" and "we're not toronto!!"? Why has so much tax money and staff time been spent over the years sawing off development proposals generally, not just the previous ones proposed for this site which went through an absurd process of proposal/counter proposal for years over a couple of floors that once built, nobody would have even noticed. It is unchecked planning theory run amok, fuelled in part by many militant urban planners in an oversized and poorly managed hrm planning dept..
great post!

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 11:57 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 7:22 PM

I'm not sure if this site is active or not. I see they removed all of the concrete forms on that bit that has been built but I've not seen any other changes on this for the past 2 months.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I'm not sure if this site is active or not. I see they removed all of the concrete forms on that bit that has been built but I've not seen any other changes on this for the past 2 months.
If there was any doubt, this star-crossed project appears to be firmly on hold, if not all but dead. After months of seeming inactivity, a crew is dismantling the construction crane this weekend.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
If there was any doubt, this star-crossed project appears to be firmly on hold, if not all but dead. After months of seeming inactivity, a crew is dismantling the construction crane this weekend.
That’s an interesting development. It had seemed like there was casual progress since the summer. The hotel market isn’t terribly hot at the moment, so I wouldn’t be surprised to hear this is getting paused. It’s strange that they are taking the crane down before shipping out all the formwork and materials. Makes me think there is demand for that crane elsewhere and the cleanup will be done with a smaller mobile crane.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 12:27 AM

That is very strange. They have done a fair amount of work since they restarted in July. Maybe they are just switching to a different crane?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
That is very strange. They have done a fair amount of work since they restarted in July. Maybe they are just switching to a different crane?
I found that to be an odd crane, for the floors planned, it had to be raised, locally I don’t think that type of crane has typically been raised.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I found that to be an odd crane, for the floors planned, it had to be raised, locally I don’t think that type of crane has typically been raised.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they used it as a stand in until another one was available.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Drove by recently. Thought the tower looks higher now than before. Is it possible they took off the boom to raise the tower? I noticed the boom is still on site, in fact sitting on the building itself.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Drove by recently. Thought the tower looks higher now than before. Is it possible they took off the boom to raise the tower? I noticed the boom is still on site, in fact sitting on the building itself.
Interesting. I think the formwork company owns a similar crane which was in the same time frame moved from the Boss Plaza to Joe Howe/Bayers, but the new setup is shorter, so it’s possible a couple tower sections were moved here.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 12:59 PM

Here is a photo from a couple days ago. The tower seems a little higher, with 2 more tower sections sitting on the structure along with the boom. It certainly doesn't look to be dead, maybe just not a priority.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 6:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 6:48 PM

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but there was concrete being poured on this site again as recently as last Thursday (and maybe since - I haven't been back to check).

Last edited by Saul Goode; Feb 1, 2021 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 5:16 PM

And just for the record, work continues on this site today.

This is an odd project. I keep thinking it's going to die, but Dr. Frankenstein seems to pump just enough juice into it every few weeks to make its limbs quiver.

For now, it's apparently not dead, but it's not doing any jumping jacks (or terrorizing any villagers) either.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Feb 19, 2021 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
And just for the record, work continues on this site today.

This is an odd project. I keep thinking it's going to die, but Dr. Frankenstein seems to pump just enough juice into it every few weeks to make its limbs quiver.

For now, it's apparently not dead, but it's not doing any jumping jacks (or terrorizing any villagers) either.
I have wondered for a while if the project is slowed with the trades jumping jobs for better money or maybe the developers are putting the neighbor's through hell after their approval (not) adventure.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 10:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
I have wondered for a while if the project is slowed with the trades jumping jobs for better money or maybe the developers are putting the neighbor's through hell after their approval (not) adventure.
My money is on a hotel not being a huge priority given the state of things right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth