HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 5:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

For fun I made this little round-up of SGR area projects:

Hopefully the Google Earth 3D imagery will be updated in a year or two. It's from 2017 and it's already fairly out of date.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 7:59 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Great job!!!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 3:51 AM

Great visual!

Here's the number of residential units in each of the recently completed SGR developments, as well as those under construction.

There should be lots more activity on the street in the near future. Good time to go ahead with the streetscaping.

Completed 2004 to 2018
The Paramount 169
The Martello 110
The Trillium 84
Vertu 97
Mary Ann 135

Total 595

Under construction
Margaretta 147
Pavilion 85
Curve 198
South Park Lofts 62
Doyle Block 107
Grafton Park 67
Brenton Suites 170

Total 836 under construction

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 5:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There have been a couple smaller ones too like the new BMO building and the one near Dresden Row and Brunswick.

The population density of this small neighbourhood will be similar to many busy neighbourhoods of large cities (I mean areas like inner-city Paris that are full of ~6 storey apartment buildings). It will only be an area with around 5,000 people, but that is still enough to support a lot of local amenities.

Gottingen will not be this densely built up but it is in the middle of a similar transformation. It didn't have enough population density to support many local pedestrian-oriented businesses, but that is changing.

One thing that I think is missing is a plan to integrate the main part of Spring Garden Road with the blocks farther west, and ultimately the Dal campus on Coburg Road. That may sound far-fetched but development sites in the core SGR area are almost gone. As the city grows, Robie Street will naturally morph into more of a commercial street too. There are 8 or 10 developments active along Robie.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:45 AM
Closed account

It's been a while since this thread has been updated, so I thought I'd share my little pet project: Halifax Developments & Transit

It includes ongoing and planned developments, recently finished builds, proposed BRT & fast ferry routes, public infrastructure/Canada Lands projects, and links to development proposal documents or renderings where available.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
It's been a while since this thread has been updated, so I thought I'd share my little pet project: Halifax Developments & Transit

It includes ongoing and planned developments, recently finished builds, proposed BRT & fast ferry routes, public infrastructure/Canada Lands projects, and links to development proposal documents or renderings where available.
Thanks for your effort atbw! This is a great resource, super easy to navigate through in the Google Maps app. Keep up the great work!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
Thanks for your effort atbw! This is a great resource, super easy to navigate through in the Google Maps app. Keep up the great work!
Thanks! Something really prominent I noticed was the intensity of development along the Robie & Young corridors, and the little pocket of development happening around Main. Hopefully other suburbs like Spryfield start to get more walkable as they get better transit.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post

This is an incredible resource, thank you! I'm working on adding Halifax to my future skyline portfolio, and I was having difficulty collecting everything, but this resource is going to make things so much easier!

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
This is an incredible resource, thank you! I'm working on adding Halifax to my future skyline portfolio, and I was having difficulty collecting everything, but this resource is going to make things so much easier!
This is SO cool ericmacm! Can you let us know when you’ve finished Halifax? I’d love to see what you’ve done. I especially think the waterfront will be really cool to see with the new developments incorporated!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yes, thanks for making this. It's quite extensive.

I hope Google will soon update the 3D imagery for Halifax. It's getting old now, to the point where you sometimes see markers that are in buildings or on streets that don't exist on the map. This is particularly noticeable in the Larry Uteck Blvd area.

The undeveloped land in the Paper Mill Lake area is becoming more and more conspicuous too.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
This is SO cool ericmacm! Can you let us know when you’ve finished Halifax? I’d love to see what you’ve done. I especially think the waterfront will be really cool to see with the new developments incorporated!
I intend to make a new thread here once it is done, to showcase my work. It's hard to say when I'll be finished, but at this point I have ~15 done. The interesting part is how spread out Halifax's skyline is, there really is a lot of change for certain individual areas with the models added in (such as the North End), but not much for the overall skyline. It differs a lot from the other cities I'm working on and is very interesting.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 9:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax planning rules actually allow for taller buildings outside of downtown than in the old downtown area. There's comparatively little potential building envelope left downtown for development once you factor out the height limits and heritage sites.

Cogswell is a potential future exception to that but there are no proposals for those parcels yet and I believe demolition of the interchange has been put on hold for another year (after many years of delays already, so who knows if it will really happen in 2021).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I intend to make a new thread here once it is done, to showcase my work. It's hard to say when I'll be finished, but at this point I have ~15 done. The interesting part is how spread out Halifax's skyline is, there really is a lot of change for certain individual areas with the models added in (such as the North End), but not much for the overall skyline. It differs a lot from the other cities I'm working on and is very interesting.
Just checked out your previous work, very excited to see what you have for Halifax! Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Just checked out your previous work, very excited to see what you have for Halifax! Great stuff, thanks for sharing.
Has this model been attempted/completed yet for Halifax? Or am I being a little slow and just can't find the link to it...
[Sorry, edit to clarify before someone replies: I see a collection of photos of the Halifax future skyline, but I am struggling to find the model or KMZ file]

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian Laing View Post
Has this model been attempted/completed yet for Halifax? Or am I being a little slow and just can't find the link to it...
[Sorry, edit to clarify before someone replies: I see a collection of photos of the Halifax future skyline, but I am struggling to find the model or KMZ file]
I haven't seen any models released; I'm fairly sure it's just the massing pictures of future developments.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen any models released; I'm fairly sure it's just the massing pictures of future developments.
Thanks mleblanc! I think you're right, I've followed the rabbit hole and messaged the author on another forum. I'll let folks know if I find anything!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 8:14 PM

Hey Folks, I don't normally show WIP, but below is my first draft at the Quinpool density corridor/node. Max Height=(Pink) FAR zones=(Purple) Willow Tree Massing =(Red). The FAR massing is basically a guess based on High-rise and Mid-rise setback requirements assuming it is trying to maximize density. Trying to predict the future of development is hard, but I wanted to show likely shapes it could take. Still lots of work to do, but I think this opens many doors to understand the future shape of our city. Please please please let me know your thoughts. I would like to improve!

Images can be found here!

[speaking of improving, first step was learning how to embed images, that was hard... yikes!]

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 6:24 PM

Looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

Although nothing is announced for St. Pats yet, these massing give me hope for this area. Any chance you can add something for the Hospital addition?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

Although nothing is announced for St. Pats yet, these massing give me hope for this area. Any chance you can add something for the Hospital addition?
I would love to model the QEII, I just need enough plans/Elevations to do an accurate massing and I haven't seen much publicly available. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Hadrian Laing; Jul 26, 2021 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian Laing View Post
I would love to model the QEII, I just need enough plans/Elevations to do an accurate massing and I haven't seen much publicly available. Any thoughts?
The most recent information should be found here:

https://healthredevelopment.novascot...mary-expansion

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth