HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 9:29 PM
Honored Member

[Halifax] The Dillon (Market Lofts) | 28 m | 8 fl | Completed

Since this is a great looking proposal, I wanted to start a thread for it.

Quotes are from Sept 19 - Sept 21, 2013 in the Development Rumours Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
ANS published a rendering for the "Midnight Magic" proposal on Sackville Street tonight. It's quite nice -- the facade of the old building is preserved and there's an 11-storey residential tower set back slightly behind it. The developer wants to begin construction within 2 years.

If even half of the proposed buildings along Sackville Street are built it will look completely different. If they're all built then that would bring in a large number of new residents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Not trying to correct you Someone123 but it should be noted the store is called "Night Magic Fashions" and is at 5268 Sackville (at Market Street directly across from the Nova Centre site).

I didn't see the renderings but the basic planning principles sound like its a good idea.
Quote:
I didn't read the article but assuming 10 feet per floor (normal for residential) this would be around 33m. Including the heritage base which likely has higher ceilings this would more likely be 36-38m. The most that could be developed in a 28m height limit is 9 residential floors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Where HRMbD works great is a case like this - he should be approved in 6 months. SIX MONTHS. That is great. He knew what he was allowed to propose, what was allowed is significant and can make the developers project financially viable, the speed of the approval reflects that. My understanding is that he is accessing bonus height by retaining the heritage facade, which adds a couple hundred grand to the cost of the development. And I can comment on it because it isn't coming to council.

Last edited by fenwick16; Feb 1, 2014 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 10:18 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Since this is a great looking proposal, I wanted to start a thread for it.

Quotes are from Sept 19 - Sept 21, 2013 in the Development Rumours Thread
This will be a fantastic companion to the Nova Centre. I hope it does get built soon. Are there any additional pictures?

Last edited by teddifax; Sep 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: add question

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:01 AM

This has been chopped down to eight floors presumably to fit into the HbD height limits. It will house 37 apartments (bach, 1-bed, and 2-bed) and three commercial units. As seen on the renderings the Night Magic Fashions building will be retained and the new building will be modern.

Design Review Committee - November 14th, 2013 - Preliminary Presentation - 8 Storey Building - Corner of Market and Sackville Streets - 5362 and 5268 Sackville St.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 6:31 AM

Quote:
This has been chopped down to eight floors presumably to fit into the HbD height limits. It will house 37 apartments (bach, 1-bed, and 2-bed) and three commercial units. As seen on the renderings the Night Magic Fashions building will be retained and the new building will be modern.

Design Review Committee - November 14th, 2013 - Preliminary Presentation - 8 Storey Building - Corner of Market and Sackville Streets - 5362 and 5268 Sackville St.
Looks great. But, seriously, is the height limit on this part of Sackville street 8 floors? FFS.

This is my one problem with HRMxD. Its drafters caved far too much to the heritage / STV people, whose influence, IMHO, has increasingly and happily waned. 11 Stories, to me, seems actually pretty short for that area. The fact that 8 is the height that is possible is ridiculous.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 12:31 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:

That overhang on the roof looks like the helipad on the Infirmary!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Looks great. But, seriously, is the height limit on this part of Sackville street 8 floors? FFS.

This is my one problem with HRMxD. Its drafters caved far too much to the heritage / STV people, whose influence, IMHO, has increasingly and happily waned. 11 Stories, to me, seems actually pretty short for that area. The fact that 8 is the height that is possible is ridiculous.
I'm not gonna weigh in on if it's ridiculous or not (or if there are too many viewplanes or not, 'cause I haven't really looked at the issue) but since the city inclines steeply from the harbour, that's just what the max height has to be at this location, near the top of downtown. Otherwise views protection would be meaningless.

But wasn't there a bunch of discussion about the height earlier? I suspected it'd get chopped down, but I also thought there'd be a big fight over it that would delay the project--too bad to lose some units, but good to see it going ahead with minimal fuss.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 3:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I'm not gonna weigh in on if it's ridiculous or not (or if there are too many viewplanes or not, 'cause I haven't really looked at the issue) but since the city inclines steeply from the harbour, that's just what the max height has to be at this location, near the top of downtown. Otherwise views protection would be meaningless.

But wasn't there a bunch of discussion about the height earlier? I suspected it'd get chopped down, but I also thought there'd be a big fight over it that would delay the project--too bad to lose some units, but good to see it going ahead with minimal fuss.
The previous version of this proposal didn't encroach upon any viewplanes. This reduction of height is senseless. The old rendering could have actually been taller because the building's full height didn't reach the Citadel ramparts -- as much of the downtown currently does.

The Maritime Centre is already "in the way". Are we trying to protect the view of it, now?

Halifax acts as though it has so much downtown density to spare.... fuck. Unbelievably stupid.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
The previous version of this proposal didn't encroach upon any viewplanes. This reduction of height is senseless. The old rendering could have actually been taller because the building's full height didn't reach the Citadel ramparts -- as much of the downtown currently does.

The Maritime Centre is already "in the way". Are we trying to protect the view of it, now?

Halifax acts as though it has so much downtown density to spare.... fuck. Unbelievably stupid.
Ah yes, you're right.

Anyway, I'm inclined not to worry about it. I know that's an unpopular point of view 'round here, but HRMxD, whatever its faults, had to negotiate between a lot of competing interests.

It's what we're working with now, and overall it's a really good document, even if it reaches a little less for the sky than some would like. Eight storeys, 11 storeys...meh.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 3:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
It's what we're working with now, and overall it's a really good document, even if it reaches a little less for the sky than some would like. Eight storeys, 11 storeys...meh.
For me, this is far less about what Halifax's skyline looks like and much more about the self-inflicted wounds of the city in its attempts to bring more residents downtown, to allow this consumerism to generate more jobs located in the core.

This height-phobia bullshit isn't limited to subjective preferences in skylines; it has real, deep, longstanding economic impacts of what downtown Halifax will be capable of commercially, and even in terms of public transit prospects for the entire HRM.

I look forward to the day when HRMbyDesign is challenged in this regard (and by something less of a parody than Skye Halifax).

*If only* this site could be considered as part of the Nova Centre site. Then we'd get our relatively sane height allowance.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 5:13 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think it looks a bit retro but it'll be good for the street. The changes along this stretch are going to be pretty dramatic over the next few years.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
For me, this is far less about what Halifax's skyline looks like and much more about the self-inflicted wounds of the city in its attempts to bring more residents downtown, to allow this consumerism to generate more jobs located in the core.

This height-phobia bullshit isn't limited to subjective preferences in skylines; it has real, deep, longstanding economic impacts of what downtown Halifax will be capable of commercially, and even in terms of public transit prospects for the entire HRM.

I look forward to the day when HRMbyDesign is challenged in this regard (and by something less of a parody than Skye Halifax).

*If only* this site could be considered as part of the Nova Centre site. Then we'd get our relatively sane height allowance.
Hard not to agree. I'm just as annoyed by the whole thing.

Though, at the same time, I appreciate what HRMxD has done in the near term for downtown development: it really has brought certainty, and a lot more action. At least things have now turned around.

once we get a certain level of density and infill, hopefully, down the road, there will be greater pressure for height and more efficient use of downtown land. That'll mean some of this generation of buildings (built under these height limits) will be toppled for bigger and better yet. I guess we can see it as the organic development of the city...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 9:12 AM
BANNED

Wrong thread. Edit.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 4:19 AM

[deleted due to copyright complaint]

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jan 29, 2014 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 7:43 AM

Quote:

[DELETED DUE TO COPYRIGHT COMPLAINT]
It's described in ANS as being a "10 storey" building again ?!

Did it gain two storeys when we weren't looking?

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jan 29, 2014 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 12:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Really?...

Well, maybe if we look away again the developer will be given permission to build as tall as the new hotels and apartment buildings on Brunswick...or even the Nova Centre across the street.

It's the least we can do in appreciation for the restoration of this building's old façade.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 4:26 PM

Quote:

It's a hilly site - maybe they are counting from the lower part of the grade?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 5:44 AM

Quote:
[deleted due to copyright complaint]
By the way, posting excerpts from news articles are not necessarily copyright infringement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/michael...b_2828854.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 7:23 PM
we built this city

True, esp. if its a quote from a person.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 1:05 AM
Honored Member

Here is a link giving a few more proposal details - http://mosaikproperties.ca/. The link gives a colour rendering (below) and notice of a public meeting (I don't see a date and time for the public meeting, just a deadline for public submissions of Feb 17, 20014). It also gives this pdf document link - http://mosaikproperties.ca/images/up...etStreet_2.pdf

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 1:56 AM

It looks good. I'm slightly worried about how the gray podium will turn out but it is definitely a worthwhile addition to the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth