HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:33 AM

July 1957 - Tearing down the Hershey Arms Hotel - 2600 Wilshire Blvd.

So, they tore down this.

http://cdm16003.contentdm.oclc.org/c.../id/6194/rec/7

http://cdm16003.contentdm.oclc.org/c.../id/6194/rec/7

In order that we could have this?

Google Street View

Oh Geez! Thanks so much.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:51 AM

A view as seen in the LA Times on May, 1913... on this side of the hotel is the Nicholas Rice house at 2520 Wilshire Boulevard, the history of which is here.

We've also seen the Hershey Arms here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=15408

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Sometimes it's just easier to do a screenshot and post that--

As seen in prior post #12022:

See also #12039 and [IMG]"http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5994345&postcount=12043"]#12043[/URL].

I don't know whatever happened to Ashley Judd, but maybe she could play Flo....

PS rlrdrken: Not sure what you meant by posting just the marriage record, but you might want to link a new post to the prior one you're referring to... I just happened to pick up on "Florence Coberly" and remembered the shoplifting policewoman...
None of my photo posts seem to go through, cant figure it out. Any way heres the link to the marriage record

[IMG]http://interactive.ancestry.com/1100...l=ReturnRecord[/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrdrken View Post
None of my photo posts seem to go through, cant figure it out. Any way heres the link to the marriage record

[IMG]http://interactive.ancestry.com/1100...l=ReturnRecord[/IMG]
Here is a link to a Newspaper Article, and the Address she lived at

4216 Stern Ave Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:29 AM

Thank you!

Thank you ethereal--Magritte fan?--sopa, Beaudry, LA Past and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. This is the best history of architecture class I've ever taken. Some of these posts have had me in tears. Thanks again for the incredible education!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:18 PM

LA Times, June 18, 1944/GSV

There was Henry Willson, creator of Rock, Tab, Ty, Troy, Guy etc, and then there was the apparently less noirish Meredith Willson of Music Man fame.... After running across the item above, I naturally had to see if it was still there. It is, but looks a lot less impressive and is hidden by the bane of those interested in old LA architecture--trees and shrubbery. Especially annoying in that the house was, according to the Nov 15, 1981, Times ad below, designed by Paul Williams.

Every house has to have a little bit of noir... here we have a younger husband at the mercy of a rich wife:

Times, July 1, 1939

Late-breaking news: 1152 San Ysidro Drive seems also to have been the home of Jeff Chandler. Did Esther Williams live here too--and the giant high heels she claimed he wore?

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Feb 7, 2014 at 1:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
I hadn't come across either this photo before, nor had I heard of the theater. This is Sid Grauman's Metropolitan Theater, opened 1923 at the corner of 6th and Hill and with 3387 seats, was the largest movie theatre ever built in Los Angeles. In the 50s it got a makeover and was renamed The Paramount, which lasted until 1962.

More photos and info can be found here:
http://cruiselinehistory.com/cruisin...-metropolitan/

I remember talking about this a while back,we discovered that there is an annex building still around on 6th street? One of the reasons i remember was because when i was still living in LA i checked out the annex building to see if the massive staircase was still there.(it wasnt)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:57 PM

Quote:

Late-breaking news: 1152 San Ysidro Drive seems also to have been the home of Jeff Chandler. Did Esther Williams live here too--and the giant high heels she claimed he wore?
I would doubt that Ester Williams ever lived with Jeff Chandler though they were supposedly romantically linked for a short period of time. Williams was apparently a bit of a mental train wreck (ding-dong) as most everyone that knew both she and Chandler refuted her allegations of Chandler being a cross dresser. With his military records indicating he was six feet four inches tall and weight 210 lbs. the idea of him wearing high heels would seem to be a bit on the ridiculous side. But then considering Hollywood who knows?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:57 PM
Dallas, TX

According to Zillow and Trulia, Florence Colberly's house is worth $1,058,058-1,231,000 today. Shoplifting $2.32 worth of groceries from a supermarket?
Bedrooms:4 beds
Bathrooms:2 baths
Single Family:2,174 sq ft
Lot:6,997 sqft
Year Built:1938

Google Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrdrken View Post
Here is a link to a Newspaper Article, and the Address she lived at

4216 Stern Ave Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_in_Texas View Post
[Esther] Williams was apparently a bit of a mental train wreck (ding-dong)
That's surprising, I never heard this.

___

A little analysis about E.W. and that Jeff Chandler episode:

http://www.ralphmag.org/esther-williamsZD.html

Last edited by Martin Pal; Feb 7, 2014 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:18 PM

ebay

I guess we might ask--whose tattered dress?

Practically an all-star Noirish Los Angeles roundup.... We've been discussing Big Jeff, and Gail Russell made a recent appearance here. We've seen Jeanne Crain a time or two--she appears in a particularly juicy post by MichaelRyerson from a year ago (one that coincidentally includes Florence the shoplifting lady cop): #12022

We've seen Jack Carson in posts about Mildred Pierce (the real film, not the truly lousy Kate Winslet version).

Not sure who Elaine Stewart is, but maybe she doesn't have any noir cred... or does she?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:32 PM

Unbelieveable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
According to Zillow and Trulia, Florence Colberly's house is worth $1,058,058-1,231,000 today. Shoplifting $2.32 worth of groceries from a supermarket?

Google Earth
Unbelieveable to say the least, the place doesn't look like it has changed since the 1950's, you can almost see her sauntering up the driveway in that tight Skirt!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Caveat emptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

Google Earth
Just my opinion but this house is wildly overpriced. Check the nearby home values, that's what I conclude.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
After running across the item above, I naturally had to see if it was still there. It is, but looks a lot less impressive and is hidden by the bane of those interested in old LA architecture--trees and shrubbery. Especially annoying in that the house was, according to the Nov 15, 1981, Times ad below, designed by Paul Williams.
GW, you've prompted me to finish a post that I've had on the back-burner for a while. It concerns a 'CHiPs' filming location which I only discovered after reading this thread, a house designed by another well-known architect, and a load of shrubbery.

The 1979 'CHiPs' episode 'Pressure Point' starts with a nice aerial shot of DTLA with the Edison building and the Engstrum at the center - no mystery there.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

It was the house below that I couldn't locate. My first thought was somewhere like Beverly Hills or Bel-Air, so I spent quite a while searching those areas with Google aerial views.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

After reading post #10289 and post #10290 I checked out Fremont Place, and there it was - number 61.

Google Maps

According to fremontplace.org, "Number 61 was designed by Myron Hunt [Ambassador Hotel, Rose Bowl etc.] in 1923 for J.L. Olindorf, a retired farm implement manufacturer from Ohio." Here's a closer aerial view:

Google Maps

Some detail shots: front door with stained glass either side (there's also ironwork on the door); garages and a nice XK-E; porte-cochère; swimming pool and some of the back of the house. The lady in the pool shot is Mary Crosby, daughter of Bing, and answer to the question "Who shot J.R.?"

MGM TV/Rosner TV

Property websites value the house at between 4.1 and 4.7 million dollars. I found this recent photo on www.thepartnerstrust.com. Unfortunately, like the house in GW's post (above), the house is now almost hidden by trees and bushes.

www.thepartnerstrust.com

Finally, since the Googlemobile isn't allowed into Fremont Place, I thought I'd include a ground-level picture from 'CHiPs' of the house next door.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
That's surprising, I never heard this.

___

A little analysis about E.W. and that Jeff Chandler episode:

http://www.ralphmag.org/esther-williamsZD.html
It appears that much of that "article" is from E.W.'s book and that is what those who knew both she and Chandler disputed. Even if one just takes the article on face value, it is obvious that she was about a bubble and a half off plumb and perhaps not believable. Kinda reminds me of my Ex.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:48 AM
BANNED

LA Gangsters

Attorney Joseph Scott, left, and Johnny Stompanato, Oct. 4, 1949, after Stompanato was charged with vagrancy. Later that year he was fatally knifed by Lana Turner's daughter.

Joseph Scott (July 16, 1867 - March 24, 1958) was a prominent British-born attorney and community leader in Los Angeles, California. His service to the community was so varied and important that he earned the nickname "Mr. Los Angeles."

Scott momentarily rose to national prominence in 1945 in the Charlie Chaplin-Joan Barry paternity suit. The 23-year-old actress and one-time Chaplin protégé, Barry, had had an affair with the actor in 1942. Barry became pregnant, and sued Chaplin for child support in 1943. Barry hired Scott to press her case in court. Scott convinced the court to rule a blood test inadmissible as evidence, even though the test seemed to indicate that Chaplin was not the father. At trial, Scott railed against the actor—who had a lengthy and public history of adulterous relationships and affairs with very young women. Among other things, Scott called Chaplin a "pestiferous, lecherous hound", "a little runt of a Svengali", a "cheap Cockney cad", "a hoary headed old buzzard" and "a master mechanic in the art of seduction".

LATimes

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 7:59 AM

e_r posed the question: where/what was this early ("1912") studio?

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6436027]mystery studio 1912
ebay

2014 view from my own office:

Here is an excerpt from the 1913 LA City Directory listing for motion picture studios. (I chose the 1913 directory because directories typically contained information from at least a year before they were published.)

Ancestrylibrary.com

As you can see, most of the studios then were concentrated on Alessandro, where it runs into Glendale Boulevard. (The stretch of Glendale Blvd. north of this intersection was named Alessandro back then.) There were some companies downtown, a couple in "east Hollywood" and then there was one at Sunset and Gower, the Universal Film Manufacturing Co. This was Carl Laemmle's production company which was formed on June 8, 1912. They spent 3 years at 6105 Sunset before moving over the hill to what became Universal City in 1915.

Using Google Earth, I examined various views of Mt. Hollywood taken from Alessandro/Glendale, east Hollywood, and the Sunset and Gower locations. The one that matched e_r's original photo was Sunset and Gower. (To conserve bandwidth, I won't post the other two views).

Here is a Google Earth view from Sunset and Gower looking north towards Mt. Hollywood.

...so I'll go out on a limb and say the studio in the photo was Universal.

This Google Earth shot has a line drawn from my office (by the "H" at the bottom) to Mt. Hollywood at the top. The old Universal Studios location is marked by a push-pin, which shows why the ridgeline seen from my window looks almost the same as e_r's original shot.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 9:03 AM

Quote:

Sometimes it's just easier to do a screenshot and post that--

As seen in prior post #12022:

See also #12039 and #12043.

I don't know whatever happened to Ashley Judd, but maybe she could play Flo....

PS rlrdrken: Not sure what you meant by posting just the marriage record, but you might want to link a new post to the prior one you're referring to... I just happened to pick up on "Florence Coberly" and remembered the shoplifting policewoman...
Here's another pic of our Lovely Police Women getting a little attention from the Boys at the station-seems the one Detective is Playing a little Pocket Pool in the background, definately a Noirish twist there!

One more

Photo's are from the USC Collection

Last edited by rlrdrken; Feb 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM. Reason: Photo Credit

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 9:09 AM

1932 Olympics Photos

With the Winter Olympics underway, let's look back to some photos -- mostly of the Olympic Village in Baldwin Hills -- from the Official Report of the 1932 Summer Games in Los Angeles, which is available online here: http://olympic-museum.de/o-reports/report1932.htm

Looking west at Exposition Park, pre-Coliseum; Figueroa runs left to right across the bottom of the photo. At the bottom just to the right of center, 39th Street ends at Figueroa, and just west of that we see the infamous Arcade Palm:

Some photos have their own caption:

Looking west at the site of the Olympic Village early in its construction. Today, View Park occupies the hills in the foreground, and Stocker Street runs in the ravine behind and to the right of the village site:

Four athletes stayed in each of the 500 cottages, which measured 14 feet x 24 feet (including the porch):

Each cottage had two 10' x 10' bedrooms, with an entrance to each from the outside, a 2' x 4' closet, a wash basin, 100-watt electric lamp, cold-shower bath and, apparently, a desk and two chairs:

A rare view looking south; the four longer buildings in the middle are the dining rooms:

The outside of the main entrance:

Among the village facilities was a 2,000-seat outdoor ampitheater:

The old Southern Pacific Depot at 5th and Central:

It looks like Pacific Electric buses were pressed into service:

Before starting their training, the team from Denmark deigns to be photographed:

But don't worry about working up a thirst:

What game are they playing?

And which pool is this?

It's got to be one of these:

Only male athletes stayed at the village in Baldwin Hills. Female athletes dreamed of Olympic glory on Wilshire Blvd:

Back at the Olympic Village the men dined amid more spartan surroundings:

And I doubt any female athletes barged into the Chapman Park Hotel kitchen to make an unwelcome inspection, as the two guys next to Mr. Chefs Hat seem to be doing (the guy at back left looks plenty annoyed):

In addition to the athletic competitions, there were other events held in connection with the Olympics:

There were also art exhibitions and competitions. In 1940, the guy on the right will try but fail to kill Trotsky (http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/3...iros-1896-1974 and http://www.marxists.org/archive/hans...0/08/assas.htm):

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

And which pool is this?

It's got to be one of these:
After a quick search, it looks like it's the pool at the Los Angeles Athletic Club.

Lauren Meshkin/bonvoyagelauren at Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos