HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I don't think mentioning Skokie was going anywhere that the emphasis on cheapness and frugality wasn't already. And so what if it was? No group or identity should be beyond ridicule if they deserve it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I think you (like everyone in this overly sensitive world we now live in) read too much into the location. Really that building belongs out in the suburbs, and it's much lousier than the one it is replacing
Read too much into you specifically calling out a historically jewish area? In any event I'm not going to lose sleep over this despite being lumped into the sensitive world we all inhabit

I don't like the design, but like new development on that block of North. That's the real news here.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9 View Post
Read too much into you specifically calling out a historically jewish area? In any event I'm not going to lose sleep over this despite being lumped into the sensitive world we all inhabit

I don't like the design, but like new development on that block of North. That's the real news here.
I don't like the school of thought that any development here is a good thing. This stretch of North would've been just fine without the help of the JCYS, and this shit is not what contributes to an improvement of the corridor - it does the opposite. Not only is it ugly, but nothing about it activates the street or encourages pedestrian activity.

I'm not sure how this has garnered any degree of support or excitement, should we just be thankful that they have decided to venture into the inner city and grace it with new investment? I'd expect this more in areas of the city starved for development, or in Sioux Falls, but even then it's a hard pill to swallow that a low-cost design need be ugly.

Last edited by kemachs; Jan 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 10:00 PM

Today
Lots of dirt being turned at Northerly Island south of the music venue. Does this mean Studio Gang is building their proposal?

Prudential Building renovation. It really stands out when the sun hits it right.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
Wow, agreed. Way to replace a cool building with an awful and unimaginative design. Maybe you should've used some of that money you saved to hire a decent architect. I'd also love to know how it's more environmentally efficient to go the non-rehab route - and while you're at it define environmentally efficient.

(comments directed at JCYS)
There was a handsome building there, the demo permit caught us by surprise.
It had been overlooked by the historic resources survey and that block got cut out of both landmark districts.

The design (for what it is ) is as of right and will not get any nimby input save for the curb cut which will get a lot of local resistance.

There are a couple of problems with their drawings though, One, they don't own the rear half of the side lot where they show their parking, The rear half belongs to the CNT, The other is that the sidewalks are only 8ft along there and I doubt that tree pits will work.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 3:57 AM
TL;DR

The work on Northerly Island is a sort of "Phase I" of Studio Gang's plan, funded through an Army Corps habitat restoration program. It will include a lagoon, a path, and some sculptural landforms along with vegetation. Basically just a massive regrading and replanting, as you might expect for a habitat restoration.

However, the many "programmed" bits of Studio Gang's proposal - the bridges, boardwalks, shelters, and pavilions - are all currently unfunded, along with any hard infrastructure or site furnishings.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:04 PM
The City

Let loose the NIMBY's!

Developer plans 225-unit apartment building in Lincoln Park
By: Micah Maidenberg
January 13, 2014

Quote:
Developer Warren Baker plans to tear down a 30-unit Lincoln Park condominium building and replace it with a 225-unit luxury apartment complex.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Well he's right about one thing - that building is unsightly.

I give him a snowball's chance in hell of getting this done though.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:37 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ ^ I'm also perplexed over how this guy is convincing 30 individual condo owners to sell to him, at a price that makes sense for something that he can realistically get entitled for............

If he can do it, and get a large, dense, urban project approved and built, certainly more power to him, but count me as super skeptical on this one....

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The work on Northerly Island is a sort of "Phase I" of Studio Gang's plan, funded through an Army Corps habitat restoration program. It will include a lagoon, a path, and some sculptural landforms along with vegetation. Basically just a massive regrading and replanting, as you might expect for a habitat restoration.

However, the many "programmed" bits of Studio Gang's proposal - the bridges, boardwalks, shelters, and pavilions - are all currently unfunded, along with any hard infrastructure or site furnishings.
It's not visible (to me) in the posted photo, but a bridge has already been installed on the south end, over the newly created creek.

EDIT...
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...abitatdev.html
Quote:
With the availability of these additional funds, the Park District has expanded the scope to include:
  • A modified landscape and grading plan to accommodate more camping areas: The hills will be reshaped to provide new and expanded camping groves and will accentuate the view corridors from Northerly Island to downtown. In particular, the sight lines will correlate with the celestial calendar, aligning the visitor experience with constellations overhead. Lastly, the increase in elevation of the hills will prevent bird strikes at McCormick Place. Birds need prominent topography as a visual cue to compel them to land and avoid crashing into structures such as large buildings.
  • A deeper wetland (pond) that will reduce broad mud flats and help develop habitat: This will establish a habitat for the endangered mud-puppy salamander. Part of the installation will include educational and awareness video display of underwater habitat with a live feed to the Shedd Aquarium. The pond will also serve as an estuary non-game species of fish. The deeper wetland will result in a habitat that is more likely to be wet during dry periods through its hydraulic connection to Lake Michigan. This creates a more consistently wet habitat for birds travelling along the migratory flyway that need to rest at Northerly Island.
  • Additional trails, boardwalks, and a bridge at the south end: Public access will be increased to the wetland area, hills, camping grounds, and other locations of the park site. The formalized access paths will allow the public to interact with landscape and wildlife without disturbing the mesic prairie and wetland plantings. The paths and boardwalks will also enhance ADA accessibility. The installation of a bridge at the south end of the park that will complete the path system.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
Well he's right about one thing - that building is unsightly.

That building needs to go, I hope this guy can pull it off. But I also am afraid this is a long shot.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 3:51 PM
Urbane observer

The only example I remember was when DePaul bought out all the condo owners in that old abbey at Fullerton & Sheffield in the early 1980s.

But perhaps the Lincoln Center owners are facing (like my own building) a big repair bill for that deck or some other part of the exterior envelope, and will think the developer's offer a godsend.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The only example I remember was when DePaul bought out all the condo owners in that old abbey at Fullerton & Sheffield in the early 1980s.

But perhaps the Lincoln Center owners are facing (like my own building) a big repair bill for that deck or some other part of the exterior envelope, and will think the developer's offer a godsend.
I think this has also happened a few times in recent years on those megamansion blocks or Orchard and Burling. Luxury Homebuilders have bought out 4,6,8 unit developments etc.

I would have to think this building on Lincoln would be one of the largest condo buyouts in Chicago ever. But I also think you are right that this building could be a prime target for such a play. I'm guessing most of the owners really regret their decision and have been looking for an out for a long time.

This, by the way, is a big problem of the condo boom that gets little mention.
When an apartment building falls into disrepair, its a fairly simple solution (new owner, new capital etc.) When a condo building falls into disrepair, its much much more complicated to fix. In the next 20 years I expect this problem to become much more salient as we start to see problems with a lot of Condo buildings that really should have remained as rentals.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That building needs to go, I hope this guy can pull it off. But I also am afraid this is a long shot.
Yeah. The building is unique for Chicago but it's not the best. I always enjoy riding the train and seeing the random basketball court above the garages. I can't read the full article, but how many stories would this be? 18-25?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^^ ^ I'm also perplexed over how this guy is convincing 30 individual condo owners to sell to him, at a price that makes sense for something that he can realistically get entitled for............

If he can do it, and get a large, dense, urban project approved and built, certainly more power to him, but count me as super skeptical on this one....
Wasn't some of those units on the market recently?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I can't read the full article, but how many stories would this be? 18-25?
It looks to be 11 stories

From DNAinfo.com
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...lincoln-avenue

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:42 PM
TL;DR

I dig it. We're starting to see a flood of these proposals along L lines... Division, Belmont, Paulina, now Fullerton...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
I was at the presentation and the developer was asked if he had contacted the local alderman's office and gauged their thoughts on the project.

His response: No, I like to keep things under the radar.

lol good luck with that height variance!

PS: CMH meeting tonight at DePaul at 630. They mean it this time, for real...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I was at the presentation and the developer was asked if he had contacted the local alderman's office and gauged their thoughts on the project.

His response: No, I like to keep things under the radar.

lol good luck with that height variance!

PS: CMH meeting tonight at DePaul at 630. They mean it this time, for real...
Can we just reduce the city council at this point? Ten maybe?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:06 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Um, yes please. But then they would have to be a real citywide legislative body, you know - like an actual City Council (as opposed to their current bizarre primary roles as neighborhood custodians/praetors)...

And ^^, did this dude just move to Chicago?

That being stated, from that rendering this would appear to be a pretty slick proposal, so all the luck to him!

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jan 14, 2014 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:29 PM
tilted & shifted

The hotel conversion planned for 11 S. LaSalle has secured financing:

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...883H3247467E8W

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development