HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 2:32 AM
Urbane observer

Especially because this would be such a superb site for residential, with windowline on three (and possibly all four) sides. Would seem perfect for 180 microunits on top of two levels of retail.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:39 AM

635 N Wells - Blanc - 12/08

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:03 AM
MPLSXCHI

Well then...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:48 AM

No shit! Construction equipment already... Very pumped that this along with the various other projects along wells will soon start to box in and encroach upon the rock and roll mc donalds

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 11:44 AM
BANNED

Besides the demise of all the silly restaurants, The Beige Problem will seem less critical. I hope one day there's an 800 footer on par with Aqua right in front of Grand Plaza - the ugliest buildings in the city, or any proper city i've been to for that matter.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 2:21 PM

Wait a minute - I don't even remember hearing about Blanc. When did this come up? Wells/LaSalle corridor in that area.....man. This is going to be awesome.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 2:33 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I think Harry called it Blanc, but it's actually Gino's Tower (Blanc would be at a different corner at this intersection), right??

(thanks for capturing arrival of construction equipment, btw Harry!)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 2:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ I think Harry called it Blanc, but it's actually Gino's Tower (Blanc would be at a different corner at this intersection), right??
yes, those are clearly pics of the start of construction for 167 w erie (the gino's east tower). i don't know why harry mislabeled them as "Blanc", as that project is on a different corner.

i've moved 167 w erie to the U/C list on page 1.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 2:56 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Basically just converting the lower 3 floors into retail, changing the facade a bit. It's not very exciting.
Ughhhh.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i don't know why harry mislabeled them as "Blanc", as that project is on a different corner.
Correct, the Blanc proposal is for the site now occupied by Carson's. It's a very nice design albeit a bit stumpy in its current form.

Does anyone know what's happening with the buildings just south of 167 W. Erie on the eastern side of Wells? I'm talking about 617 N. Wells (formerly Kan Zaman) and its neighbors. I remember hearing rumors of demolition and redevelopment when the restaurant shuttered a year or so ago.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:02 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yes, those are clearly pics of the start of construction for 167 w erie (the gino's east tower). i don't know why harry mislabeled them as "Blanc", as that project is on a different corner.

i've moved 167 w erie to the U/C list on page 1.
Yeah, let there be no doubt: this is CLEARLY, definitively a construction boom. And even if only half of the current proposals on page 1 actually move forward and become real projects, that's still over 30 highrises, in addition to many others currently in various stages of construction.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:21 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
I thought they just repaved the lot.

Yeah, I remember someone saying that, but I couldn't see anything recently paved (maybe oiled, but not paved) anytime I walked past it.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:45 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Especially because this would be such a superb site for residential, with windowline on three (and possibly all four) sides. Would seem perfect for 180 microunits on top of two levels of retail.

Yeah, if this is what Tishman is going with, it's a major missed opportunity.........makes very little sense to not top redeveloped retail space with residential, hotel, or both....

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:47 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Ughhhh.
I mean, they're not building a tower... but the old Amalgamated Bank building is a pretty cold, corporate glass box, so good riddance. Generic International style, not even well-designed. It's not like this is a jewel-box masterpiece like Manufacturers Hanover Bank.

This renovation will definitely make the building fit better into the retail-oriented State St ensemble. The only bummer is the loss of the setback from sidewalk, which was always a nice bit of breathing room.

This would actually be a cool spot for a second Uniqlo location - I'm sure they are looking to expand if the first one is successful, the same way Zara and H&M did...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:51 PM
you know where I'll be

Oxford Buys Indigo hotel project

Crain's reporting this morning that Oxford, wrapping up the LondonHouse project, has bought the stalled hotel redevelopment just north of the Crains/Smurfit Stone building on Michigan.......still to be hotel, seems to me likely a different flag though, I think keeping that small vertical addition that was planned...........

Really great news here, as this one began to drive me crazy recently....

(written confirmation from Crain's owner that they will not impede on space needed to allow for windows on South facade of hotel building has now been obtained to allow hotel construction permits to be issued......although now of course there may be a bit more of a delay before work begins as Oxford finalizes its new plans for the adaptive reuse/expansion project)....

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Crain's reporting this morning that Oxford, wrapping up the LondonHouse project, has bought the stalled hotel redevelopment just north of the Crains/Smurfit Stone building on Michigan.......still to be hotel, seems to me likely a different flag though, I think keeping that small vertical addition that was planned...........
From the article, sounds as though the facade may be lost. I was hoping it was being restored.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:16 PM

Conservatory Tower

Arrest warrant, garbage piles complicate Loop skyscraper plan from Crains

Quote:
Bighorn Capital has been wrangling in court with tenants in the Garvey Food Court at 201 N. Clark St., which it plans to tear down to make way for the skyscraper that would include Live Aqua and Dream hotels, two new brands in Chicago. But Bighorn CFO Jeffrey Mahoney is now wanted after failing to produce documents and show up at a Nov. 17 court hearing...

The turn of events at the property carries the kind of reputational damage that many developers fear and is likely to raise further doubts about Bighorn's ability to pull off such a huge project. Alienating city officials won't help when it comes to seeking a zoning change for its planned skyscraper, and potential lenders and equity partners may think twice about going into business with a firm that flouts a federal judge.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Correct, the Blanc proposal is for the site now occupied by Carson's. It's a very nice design albeit a bit stumpy in its current form.

Does anyone know what's happening with the buildings just south of 167 W. Erie on the eastern side of Wells? I'm talking about 617 N. Wells (formerly Kan Zaman) and its neighbors. I remember hearing rumors of demolition and redevelopment when the restaurant shuttered a year or so ago.
The SRO was bought and shut down by an investor, I would expect a condo conversion or something

Also, Glass is going up on the north side of 'NEXT' (chestnut & orleans)
what an ugly building!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
not a serious proposal.

the amateur hour circus show continues.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:38 PM

Navigant Consulting has leased the largest remaining large block of office space under construction. I expect we will hear about another office building starting construction pretty soon.

150 N riverside is at 75% pre-leased and River Point is at 70%.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations