HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 4:02 PM

I really like RDNI's vision the most, but I think its interesting that the main centerpiece of their proposal (Batture Park and adjacent buildings) is on a parcel that isn't even in the RFP. Seems like a risky gamble, but perhaps this RFP selection process isn't super rigid. Its worth noting that its part of Phase I, which generates less income and ground rent, so may make it a harder sell to include it in the overall proposal. I like that they aren't creating some artificial feeling, isolated entertainment district out of thin air that would potentially distract visitors away from the FQ, Fulton Alley, Warehouse District etc. Instead, the entertainment venue portion of their proposal feels like an amenity and an appendage directly tied to the Convention Center and hotel, which I think is a better approach. Seems like a place that conventioneers would go to for specific events rather than getting lost spending too much time in. The downside to that is that its seems like it would feel really dead and abandoned during certain hours. I also like that they are proposing the largest number of residential units. Seems like a solid, mostly local development team overall too.

Was the riverfront part of the RFP? It seems like some teams focused on the riverfront, and some did not at all.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 4:41 PM

I give the advantage to the Domain proposal. I hate to be negative, but any plan that relies on a corporate office component should be dead on arrival, especially after co-vid. We might be witnessing the death of corporate office, and the rise of the tele-community age. This could actually benefit NOLA more in that many might choose to live there, while their companies are "HQ'd" elsewhere.

I love NOLA, but it aint getting any corporate relocations in the short of even mid-term.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 4:52 PM
-

Canopy of Peace:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 4:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
I give the advantage to the Domain proposal. I hate to be negative, but any plan that relies on a corporate office component should be dead on arrival, especially after co-vid. We might be witnessing the death of corporate office, and the rise of the tele-community age. This could actually benefit NOLA more in that many might choose to live there, while their companies are "HQ'd" elsewhere.

I love NOLA, but it aint getting any corporate relocations in the short of even mid-term.
Strongly disagree here... corporate offices aren't going anywhere. For every person that is more productive doing WFH, there's probably 2-3 people who are less productive. Certain kinds of meetings are still best done in person, companies still need access to physical resources, etc.

Also, if you're worried about people being psychologically scarred into being permanent hermits after only a few months of social distancing, then you should be equally concerned with bars, restaurants, convention facilities, hotels, retail and pretty much every other kind of urban land use except residential or industrial. If people really do decide to withdraw from society permanently, it won't be limited to work hours. Such an outcome is HIGHLY unlikely but if it did happen then pretty much every major sector of NOLA's economy would be toast, not just commercial office.

Whether NOLA will continue to get corporate relocations is a different question, the office market there was lukewarm even before the pandemic with total square footage even in decline due to hotel/resi conversions. So there are other good reasons to doubt the viability of a major office expansion. Still, I would much rather this new district be a place that mixes locals and tourists in equal measure, and bringing locals here on a semi-regular basis will require more than just entertainment uses. Professional offices (doctors, dentists, accountants, etc) may be a good way to bring people into the area where they might have a meal or go shopping before/after appointments. Good, independent music venues could do it as well. Also, much as I hate to say it, it will be important to provide ample parking that is well-hidden. Tourists and conventioneers are the only people who will come to this area if parking is limited.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 23, 2020 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:16 PM
-

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:

My take is that the other plans don't necessarily rely on the office component, but I'm happy to see that some effort would be made to attract new tenants. I'd disagree that the office is going to die - telecommuting has been around for a while and while it has lessened the demand for office space there is a certain amount of efficiency and productivity that is sparked with in person work for certain functions. In fact this could be just what the local market needs. A lot of office development has been happening in more suburban office park/planned community environments - something common all over Texas - while most of our office stock is in a few dense CBD clusters. Corporate real estate types

I do agree that there might be an upside for those workers who are able to telecommute. I think there is a significant population who would return to live here if their job allowed for it. That's something the local economic development community seems to have ignored. Aside from the economic disruption, with crime at historic lows and billions in infrastructure work ongoing, the city might be in the best shape it has been in decades.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:48 PM
-

Gibbs Construction project for Ochsner on Jefferson Hwy in Jefferson, Louisiana by the mighty Mississippi River.

#progress #construction #aerialdocumentation #aerialmapping
#ochsner #gibbsconstruction #teamgibbs #zephyrdronesllc

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
My take is that the other plans don't necessarily rely on the office component, but I'm happy to see that some effort would be made to attract new tenants. I'd disagree that the office is going to die - telecommuting has been around for a while and while it has lessened the demand for office space there is a certain amount of efficiency and productivity that is sparked with in person work for certain functions. In fact this could be just what the local market needs. A lot of office development has been happening in more suburban office park/planned community environments - something common all over Texas - while most of our office stock is in a few dense CBD clusters. Corporate real estate types

I do agree that there might be an upside for those workers who are able to telecommute. I think there is a significant population who would return to live here if their job allowed for it. That's something the local economic development community seems to have ignored. Aside from the economic disruption, with crime at historic lows and billions in infrastructure work ongoing, the city might be in the best shape it has been in decades.
I actually saw an interesting article stating because of covid issues tenants may require additional square footage to allow for more social distancing in the work place

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 5:56 PM
-

Virgin Hotel New Orleans Progression
#virginhotelneworleans #construction #aerialphotography #aerialdocumentation #drone #zephyrdronesllc

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:05 PM
-

1 Poydras St Spc 1005, Space 1005·Interior Demolition · Ref CodeGRPJE
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Interior Demolition
Applicant:
Angela Morton
Application Review
Date Filed:
4/13/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Partial interior demolition of existing restaurant. Permit while awaiting remainder of demolition application. note this is also listed a Spanish Plaza restaurant.

1555 Poydras St Ste 1200·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:L3RU5U
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Scout Services
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/20/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
TENANT IMPROVEMENT OF THE 12TH FLOOR (APPROX. 13,800 SF). NEW WORK SHALL INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING: DEMISING WALLS, HVAC SYSTEMS, PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL, AND FINISHES (WALLS, FLOORS, CEILINGS, ETC.). Tenant is AECOM

315 Girod St·Board of Building Standards and Appeals · Project #BBSA No. 20-015 · Ref Code:1QK6M8
Pay Fees Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Board of Building Standards and Appeals
Applicant:
Scott Welty
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/14/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
The applicant is appealing the base flood elevation requirement for 315 Girod St.

djsnola
1050 Annunciation St·Board of Building Standards and Appeals · Project #BBSA No. 20-016 · Ref Code:C445D8
Pay Fees Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Board of Building Standards and Appeals
Applicant:
L Katherine Harmon
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/16/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
The applicant is appealing the base flood elevation requirement for a masonry warehouse in a historic district, 1050 Annunciation st.

6007 Bullard Ave·New Construction · Ref Code:7K1UMW
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Aromy Kristen
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
4/21/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
Build new Taco Bell restaurant.

1709-1741 Poydras St·Text Amendment · Project #ZD052-20 · Ref Code:JL6YAK
Download (7) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Text Amendment
Applicant:
Zelia Cnp LLC
Public Hearing Notice
Date Filed:
4/3/2020
Closed:
No
Description:
ZONING DOCKET 052/20 - Request by Zelia, CNP, LLC for a text amendment to the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance to: • Amend Article 17, Section 17.3.A and Table 17-1 to classify “motor vehicle dealership, small” and “motor vehicle dealership, large” as permitted uses in the CBD-4 Exposition District and the CBD-7 Bio-Science District • Amend Article 17, Section 17.3.B to permit “motor vehicle dealership, small” and “motor vehicle dealership, large” to be located along Multi-Modal/Pedestrian Corridors

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:10 PM

Urban Construction Management Degree

I don't know anything about this except that I saw it in my mail.

https://www.uno.edu/news/2020-04-21/...uJxeMKrJKu5MZc

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Strongly disagree here... corporate offices aren't going anywhere. For every person that is more productive doing WFH, there's probably 2-3 people who are less productive. Certain kinds of meetings are still best done in person, companies still need access to physical resources, etc.

Also, if you're worried about people being psychologically scarred into being permanent hermits after only a few months of social distancing, then you should be equally concerned with bars, restaurants, convention facilities, hotels, retail and pretty much every other kind of urban land use except residential or industrial. If people really do decide to withdraw from society permanently, it won't be limited to work hours. Such an outcome is HIGHLY unlikely but if it did happen then pretty much every major sector of NOLA's economy would be toast, not just commercial office.

Whether NOLA will continue to get corporate relocations is a different question, the office market there was lukewarm even before the pandemic with total square footage even in decline due to hotel/resi conversions. So there are other good reasons to doubt the viability of a major office expansion. Still, I would much rather this new district be a place that mixes locals and tourists in equal measure, and bringing locals here on a semi-regular basis will require more than just entertainment uses. Professional offices (doctors, dentists, accountants, etc) may be a good way to bring people into the area where they might have a meal or go shopping before/after appointments. Good, independent music venues could do it as well. Also, much as I hate to say it, it will be important to provide ample parking that is well-hidden. Tourists and conventioneers are the only people who will come to this area if parking is limited.
Maybe I will put it more plainly... while I love NOLA, the COVID outbreak, collapse of the Hard Rock, airport delays, crazy preachers in Baton Rouge, the idea that local leaders were negligent in allowing Mardi Gras (as BS as that is) - just demonstrates to the investment community that NOLA is no place to do business. The only Corporate tenants recruited in the last a decade (DXC) were due to government incentives that will surely be cut going forward.

Putting it plainly... LA and NOLA is no place to do business. Been that way for 40 years and only getting worse.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:27 PM
-

Quote:
Maybe I will put it more plainly... while I love NOLA, the COVID outbreak, collapse of the Hard Rock, airport delays, crazy preachers in Baton Rouge, the idea that local leaders were negligent in allowing Mardi Gras (as BS as that is) - just demonstrates to the investment community that NOLA is no place to do business. The only Corporate tenants recruited in the last a decade (DXC) were due to government incentives that will surely be cut going forward.

Putting it plainly... LA and NOLA is no place to do business. Been that way for 40 years and only getting worse.
Ok we heard you the first time.. your opinion.. this is a construction forum ..if you want to go on rants go to tiger droppings

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Ok we heard you the first time.. your opinion.. this is a construction forum ..if you want to go on rants go to tiger droppings
Apologies for discussing reasons you wont be seeing CONSTRUCTION.

Y'all have fun, wash your hands.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 8:20 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

Not all companies are chasing the cheapest possible locations. If they were, then Silicon Valley and NYC would be shedding jobs like Detroit in the 80s. If dysfunction and embarrassing news stories were a fatal flaw, then Florida wouldn't be growing like gangbusters.

Clearly many talented and smart/educated people see NOLA as a desirable place to live, in spite of what you mentioned above. I agree that technology has now allowed more talented people to move to NOLA and work remotely, despite a general lack of well-paying employers in many fields... given the concentration of talent here, it's only a matter of time before employers come as well. It's a shame the airport connections are not great, but at least now the airport is an impressive gateway to the city.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Not all companies are chasing the cheapest possible locations. If they were, then Silicon Valley and NYC would be shedding jobs like Detroit in the 80s. If dysfunction and embarrassing news stories were a fatal flaw, then Florida wouldn't be growing like gangbusters.

Clearly many talented and smart/educated people see NOLA as a desirable place to live, in spite of what you mentioned above. I agree that technology has now allowed more talented people to move to NOLA and work remotely, despite a general lack of well-paying employers in many fields... given the concentration of talent here, it's only a matter of time before employers come as well. It's a shame the airport connections are not great, but at least now the airport is an impressive gateway to the city.
I dont understand the airport bashing for NOLA. For a market our size, we have a ton of direct flights from our airport. This is a result of tourism obviously but it doesnt mean it cant be leveraged to recruit businesses. We arent going to be getting corporate relocations but that doesnt mean we cant get satelite offices of large companies. No reason in my mind that we cant get a few more DXC type announcements over the next few years especially considering you can get downtown office class A office space in a vibrant downtown which is a huge plus for younger workers for 19-22/sqft and get a generous technology tax credit from the state on top of that (not to mention pay people 20% less than other markets). Google hasnt left California but they certainly have moved thousands of jobs to Austin so we dont need an HQ just to get good jobs.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
I dont understand the airport bashing for NOLA. For a market our size, we have a ton of direct flights from our airport. This is a result of tourism obviously but it doesnt mean it cant be leveraged to recruit businesses. We arent going to be getting corporate relocations but that doesnt mean we cant get satelite offices of large companies. No reason in my mind that we cant get a few more DXC type announcements over the next few years especially considering you can get downtown office class A office space in a vibrant downtown which is a huge plus for younger workers for 19-22/sqft and get a generous technology tax credit from the state on top of that (not to mention pay people 20% less than other markets). Google hasnt left California but they certainly have moved thousands of jobs to Austin so we dont need an HQ just to get good jobs.
I don't get the airport bashing either. MSY has non-stop service to nearly every major business market in the country, and also non-stop service to London, Toronto, Montreal, and Panama City, Panama year round. There are very few metro areas of our size that can boast that.

I would fully expect to see all of those markets continue to be served once we get through this current situation.

The region has had recent success recruiting satellite offices, and success typically builds upon success. Accruent and DXC are biggest wins in the past couple of years. We also can not discount the success of local startups like Lucid, Levelset, and Ampirical Solutions. These companies are growing rapidly (at least before this self-induced economic crisis), and will hopefully survive this downturn and continue to grow at a fast pace. Again, success typically breeds more success and that has been happening for the past few years here in New Orleans.

Crime is at historic lows for my lifetime, infrastructure is actually being repaired throughout the city and now has a real funding mechanism in place to allow for continued upkeep, and the public education system has continued to see improvements even as the bar keeps being raised by the state. Things are absolutely not perfect, and there is still a lot of work to do. However, the region has been on an upward trajectory for the past decade that I don't see stopping anytime soon.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 10:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
I dont understand the airport bashing for NOLA. For a market our size, we have a ton of direct flights from our airport. This is a result of tourism obviously but it doesnt mean it cant be leveraged to recruit businesses.
I don't know if it's that impressive - it's pretty average. I'm not even talking about international flights, just domestic ones. Remember that MSY is also the primary airport for the Baton Rouge metro, combine that with the NOLA metro and the population is just over 2M, similar to lots of mid-tier metros including Austin (56 domestic), Portland (63 flights), KC (50 flights), Cincinnati (50 flights), Indianapolis (50 flights), Pittsburgh (54 flights), Orlando (84 flights), or even Charlotte (137 flights). MSY only has 45 domestic flights, so less than all of those - and a lot of them have less tourism. Even if you rule out Orlando and Charlotte since both are hubs, we're still punching below our weight.

And, despite having fewer flights, we have more boardings than KC, Pittsburgh, Indy, or Cincinnati... so I'd say we are underserved for the demand that exists. That translates into higher ticket prices, which is a pain for people looking to relocate from other parts of the country and maintain ties.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 24, 2020 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Agreed, additionally, the lack of high rises will be less of an obstacle to financing and it also looks like they've specifically identified tenants they would bring in. The other proposals are vague by comparison IMO. Their track record of delivering on South Market was also good.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 1:47 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it's that impressive - it's pretty average. I'm not even talking about international flights, just domestic ones. Remember that MSY is also the primary airport for the Baton Rouge metro, combine that with the NOLA metro and the population is just over 2M, similar to lots of mid-tier metros including Austin (56 domestic), Portland (63 flights), KC (50 flights), Cincinnati (50 flights), Indianapolis (50 flights), Pittsburgh (54 flights), Orlando (84 flights), or even Charlotte (137 flights). MSY only has 45 domestic flights, so less than all of those - and a lot of them have less tourism. Even if you rule out Orlando and Charlotte since both are hubs, we're still punching below our weight.

And, despite having fewer flights, we have more boardings than KC, Pittsburgh, Indy, or Cincinnati... so I'd say we are underserved for the demand that exists. That translates into higher ticket prices, which is a pain for people looking to relocate from other parts of the country and maintain ties.
Not to turn this in to an aviation discussion, but I don't think this is an accurate comparison. First of all, I think you mean destinations, not flights. Of course Charlotte, Orlando, and Portland have hubs, which makes a difference. A lot of the midwestern cities have a bunch of low frequency (sometimes once weekly seasonal) flights to alternative airports in sun destinations. MSY tends to have more frequency to the main airports on larger planes and has more routes with multiple carriers than most of those, which helps to keep the fares low - MSY has lower average fares than all you mentioned except Orlando. There's a reason MSY carries 4-5 million more passengers than Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations