HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 4:04 PM

This is great news -- really gives this project the boost it needs, by securing significant early-stage investment.

Meanwhile, Brenton Davis, the dumb and despicable redneck county executive, who lies about his military record, is against the revitalization of a blighted industrial site that can be vital to helping restore economic prosperity in the city's depressed core. I mean, does he seriously think that the "private sector" will just swoop in, pay millions to purchase the crumbling property and for all the cleanup and demolition costs, and then invest tens of millions of dollars more to redevelop the site? That's simply not how things work in the real world. It's amazing to me how fucking simpletons like this Brenton Davis character get elected... just shows the general stupidity of the electorate of Erie County.

Erie's EMI project wins $4 million state grant

https://www.goerie.com/story/busines...i/65351239007/

Quote:
The Erie County Redevelopment Authority says its plan to reinvent the former Erie Malleable Iron Co. complex could provide an important economic boost and give a new look to one of the city's key gateways.

Meanwhile, Erie County Executive Brenton Davis has called the EMI project "cockamamie."

Davis said in a March interview that he's not a fan of plans for reinventing the EMI complex, which would include public art displays that honor the city's industrial past.

"I don't see us giving the authority millions and millions of dollars to go off on these cockamamie investments," he said. "We don't have the finances to support that kind of building."

However it's described, the initiative to build a high-tech business park just got a multi-million-dollar vote of affirmation.

Quote:
The Authority, which purchased the five-acre EMI complex in February of 2021, plans to raze the worst of the crumbling brick buildings, some of them with vast openings where the roof should be. Once that demolition is complete, the Authority plans to restore five of the remaining buildings and then build four new ones.

Mengine said the planned 160,000-square-foot facility will provide space for development and improve the landscape.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 4:12 PM

More good investment news for downtown:

Methodist Towers in downtown Erie poised for new ownership, $20 million upgrade

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...s/65351420007/

Quote:
An affordable housing company with offices in Virginia and California has reached a deal to purchase Erie’s Methodist Towers and has plans to make $20 million in renovations to the 13-story senior living complex.

Community Preservation Partners has reached a deal with Methodist Towers, Inc., a nonprofit corporation founded by the First United Methodist Church, to buy the building.

Erie County property records show that CPP, which has offices in Reston, Virginia, and Irvine, California, has secured $6.4 million in mortgages to purchase the property, located at 160 W. Eighth St.

The work will include accessibility upgrades, parking lot repairs, improvements to the building’s community sundeck, new floors and renovations to individual apartments.

The company did not provide a timetable for completing the renovations. John Fraser, CPP’s director of development, said in a statement that Methodist Towers was built in 1973 and “has never been through a meaningful rehab and as such, unit and common area finishes need upgrades and modernization.”

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 12:53 PM

West 5th & State mixed-use development by EDDC starting to rise from the old McDonald's parking lot:

Richford Arms apartment building expansion across the street at East 5th & State:

Taking the place of this surface parking lot:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 2:22 PM

@pj3000, thanks for all the great updates! I'm definitely slacking.

Also, I agree with you 100% about Brenton Davis. All I can say is- I didn't vote for that jagoff.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
This is great news -- really gives this project the boost it needs, by securing significant early-stage investment.

Meanwhile, Brenton Davis, the dumb and despicable redneck county executive, who lies about his military record, is against the revitalization of a blighted industrial site that can be vital to helping restore economic prosperity in the city's depressed core. I mean, does he seriously think that the "private sector" will just swoop in, pay millions to purchase the crumbling property and for all the cleanup and demolition costs, and then invest tens of millions of dollars more to redevelop the site? That's simply not how things work in the real world. It's amazing to me how fucking simpletons like this Brenton Davis character get elected... just shows the general stupidity of the electorate of Erie County.
It really is amazing. Revitalizing a huge chunk of land in the heart of the City of Erie doesn't deserve money, but he has no problem sending millions to expand a potato chip factory in Waterford or millions to Corry for whatever the hell they need? Got it.

That corner needs fixed up asap. A few times a week I turn on to Cherry Street and see the crumbling remains of the old industrial building. It's embarrassing for anyone visiting Erie, especially those headed to the beautiful Cathedral Prep Events Center across the street.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 7:51 PM

Erie Apparel downtown location opening this week

City Supply, the downtown location of Erie Apparel, will open this Friday at the corner of E. 5th and State where Lucky's Convenience Store used to be.

This will be part of the EDDC development and will add another retail option downtown. The location will offer many of Erie Apparel's most popular items as well as clothes and other items exclusive to downtown.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 5:50 PM

^ Erie models...

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 6:31 PM

Voting delay means proposed zip line won't be built in Erie this summer

Apparently an Erie City Council member and Scott Enterprises are in a disagreement about the plans for Harbor Place.

Scott Enterprises wanted to have a mini golf course and zipline built and open in time for the tourism season this year, but Liz Allen, the city council president, delayed the vote because she doesn't think Scott has lived up to it's promises of devoting enough of their land to public greenspace.

As a result of this, Nick Scott said the zipline will be delayed to 2023, as it's not financially viable for only part of the summer. The article made no mention on the status of the planned miniature gold course, though.

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...e/65354540007/

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Apparently an Erie City Council member and Scott Enterprises are in a disagreement about the plans for Harbor Place.

Scott Enterprises wanted to have a mini golf course and zipline built and open in time for the tourism season this year, but Liz Allen, the city council president, delayed the vote because she doesn't think Scott has lived up to it's promises of devoting enough of their land to public greenspace.

As a result of this, Nick Scott said the zipline will be delayed to 2023, as it's not financially viable for only part of the summer. The article made no mention on the status of the planned miniature gold course, though.

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/lo...e/65354540007/
This is great! I'm glad to see someone finally calling him out on his BS. Don't make promises you can't keep.

He promised over 6 public park spaces, a boardwalk, retail spaces, restaurants, TWO hotels, apartments and town homes.

Instead we get one hotel, one restaurant, and a picnic area. Then his next two great ideas are a zipline and mini golf? Two cheap and tacky projects, whose only purpose are for him to make a quick buck.

Tourists and locals aren't flocking to the Bayfront to ride a goofy zipline over a surface parking lot and eat mediocre food at your little picnic garden. If you can't build anything worthwhile down there, then sell the land to someone who will.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKZips View Post
This is great! I'm glad to see someone finally calling him out on his BS. Don't make promises you can't keep.

He promised over 6 public park spaces, a boardwalk, retail spaces, restaurants, TWO hotels, apartments and town homes.

Instead we get one hotel, one restaurant, and a picnic area. Then his next two great ideas are a zipline and mini golf? Two cheap and tacky projects, whose only purpose are for him to make a quick buck.

Tourists and locals aren't flocking to the Bayfront to ride a goofy zipline over a surface parking lot and eat mediocre food at your little picnic garden. If you can't build anything worthwhile down there, then sell the land to someone who will.
Also, Erie should take note that the plans for Harborplace were unveiled 8 years ago. And that Scott has owned the waterfront property for 23 years... and all that has been built is a single budget hotel (which is god-awful ugly) and a canopy for a half-assed beer garden.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Also, Erie should take note that the plans for Harborplace were unveiled 8 years ago. And that Scott has owned the waterfront property for 23 years... and all that has been built is a single budget hotel (which is god-awful ugly) and a canopy for a half-assed beer garden.
Hypothetically I'd love to see what the EDDC would do if they were able to aquire his wasted land on the Bayfront. They have done more for downtown Erie, than Scott has done in the past 20 years. It's amazing what a group is able to accomplish when they actually care about improving Erie, instead of just lining their pockets.

If roles were reversed, Scott would have taken 10 years to open a food hall with all vendors being businesses and chefs on his payroll. So his company would be the only one profiting.

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 3:36 AM

Quote:
That truly is remarkable. 10 years of a self-serving media blitz, less than half of the promised project isnt remotely close to the renderings, and now he wants to wait another year to put a half-baked zipline and putt-putt on a property that could be developed beautifully. I understand he has done a lot for our region, but that is all overshadowed by his butchering an incredible opportunity for Erie. There absolutely must be green, public areas for people to congregate and enjoy the gorgeous bay and presque isle. It is not rocket science!

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 3:23 PM

Red Roof + Plus opens

Video wait for loading

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-...-red-roof-inn/

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 3:56 PM

That's awesome on the Red Roof opening. Let's hope it stays nice and spurs some more investment in that area.

Anywho, it looks like Liz Allen finally caved and the zipline that the Scott's wanted on the bayfront will be happening. Still don't know if it will be happening this summer or not... I guess we'll see.

Nonetheless, the improvements taking place on the dock are slated to be finished in July. I'm glad they are serious about making the area pedestrian friendly with more street furniture, landscaping, lighting, etc. Now if we could only get some development on the east side of Dobbins Landing.

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-...-improvements/

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 3:43 PM

Quote:
That's awesome on the Red Roof opening. Let's hope it stays nice and spurs some more investment in that area.

Anywho, it looks like Liz Allen finally caved and the zipline that the Scott's wanted on the bayfront will be happening. Still don't know if it will be happening this summer or not... I guess we'll see.

If there's a single dime to be made by Nick Scott, you can bet your life that it will be happening this summer.

Can't wait for the go-kart track!

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 3:56 PM

Glad to see an empty being developed.. but come on, Lecom. They're building a generic strip mall-looking building on a big parking lot.

This is basically saying to Erie, "we're not even going to try to make it look halfway decent because we have zero respect for you".

The building is so bad, that they tout the fucking parking lot

And... this will be on the southwest corner of Peach & Bryant streets, not northwest.

LECOM Health to build $14.5 million ambulatory surgery center on Peach Street

Quote:
On Friday, officials with the Millcreek Township-based health system announced what they will do with two of those parcels. They will build a $14.5 million ambulatory surgery center on the northwest corner of Bryant and Peach streets.

Construction is expected to begin in May 2022 and will be completed in the summer of 2023, and will include three operating rooms, two procedure rooms, and pre-operative and post-operative beds.

The center will include a large parking lot, and its location makes it easy for patients traveling from outside Erie, said James Lin, D.O., president of the LECOM Institute for Successful Aging who is overseeing the project with Ferretti.

"Not only do patients not have to park in a garage, it's close to both Interstates 79 and 90," Lin said.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 7:11 PM

Quote:
If there's a single dime to be made by Nick Scott, you can bet your life that it will be happening this summer.

Can't wait for the go-kart track!
I'm expecting something called "Segway Adventure" that is just a roped off surface parking lot that you can pay $20 to ride around in circles.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Glad to see an empty being developed.. but come on, Lecom. They're building a generic strip mall-looking building on a big parking lot.

This is basically saying to Erie, "we're not even going to try to make it look halfway decent because we have zero respect for you".

The building is so bad, that they tout the fucking parking lot

And... this will be on the southwest corner of Peach & Bryant streets, not northwest.
Yeah, I saw this on GoErie earlier and couldn't help but laugh about the whole parking lot bit.

Sadly this type of development is par-for-the-course in Millcreek and LECOM bulldozed that whole area just for stuff like this.

Also, nice to see they aren't wasting money on any landscaping... (sarcasm)

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I saw this on GoErie earlier and couldn't help but laugh about the whole parking lot bit.

Sadly this type of development is par-for-the-course in Millcreek and LECOM bulldozed that whole area just for stuff like this.

Also, nice to see they aren't wasting money on any landscaping... (sarcasm)
Not sure what's worse. Bulldozing Peach Street for their ugly buildings, or buying perfectly fine buildings and only using them to store medical equipment. My wife complains about the old Pier 1 store every time we drive by. They literally just bought that to cover up all the windows and store all their junk in there. Can't understand why Millcreek is okay with that. Just seems like they have so much money they can do whatever they want.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKZips View Post
Not sure what's worse. Bulldozing Peach Street for their ugly buildings, or buying perfectly fine buildings and only using them to store medical equipment. My wife complains about the old Pier 1 store every time we drive by. They literally just bought that to cover up all the windows and store all their junk in there. Can't understand why Millcreek is okay with that. Just seems like they have so much money they can do whatever they want.
They're just land-banking... pretty much like any other large institution does. In downtown, Gannon, Erie Insurance, and UPMC all do the same.

They want to control all the land around them, for their future use, while potentially adding a monthly rent revenue stream. Lecom wants to own as much of Peach St. on both sides from Bryant to Kuntz as they possibly can... they probably own 60-70% of it now (for instance, they own the land that the Toyota dealership is on).

The medical, pharmacy, and dental programs are a major cash cow for Lecom... campuses all over the place with high enrollment. They gotta sink that cash somewhere, and real estate makes total sense.

I like the idea of developing a medical campus in this area of Millcreek. This stretch of Peach Street has been pretty junky since I can remember. It was all car dealerships (new and used)... some of which had fallen into serious disrepair... re-muddled houses/buildings (Home Video Exchange, PJs Auto Sound, old gas station, etc.).

The problem is, Lecom is decidedly 1990s "suburban" in mindset. Certainly appears that their plan is to plow everything down, lay surface parking lots, and develop bit by bit... and if the day comes where it makes $ sense to densify, they eventually will. But they're complete penny-pinchers (like Scott Enterprises), so without more stringent zoning/planning codes in Millcreek, they'll keep on doing exactly what is working for them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations