HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 5:43 PM

Kentville's landmark Main Street Station sold

Article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...sold-1.6431673

Many of us 'older folk' will remember this as the Cornwallis Inn, but there was a name change because... well... you know.

I've always known it as a beautiful landmark in Kentville and am kind of nervous that it will have bad things done to it in the name of "development". Normally I would think of this as unthinkable... like who would be dumb and heartless enough to remove such an attractive, historic building that welcomes all visitors to Kentville, but I've learned not to think that anymore given what I've seen in Halifax, plus how much of the historic railway stuff (like the roundhouse) has already been removed in Kentville.

No information was given as to the actual plans for the building, but from the article:
Quote:
CBC News emailed and called the new owners, Joseph Arab of Rosedale Developments in Halifax, but no one was made available for an interview.
Quote:
Beverly Gentleman, director of planning for the Town of Kentville, said the building is privately owned so the owners don't need permission to sell, redevelop or even demolish it.

"The property does not have a heritage designation. We do not have a heritage bylaw," she said of the Town of Kentville.

"It's a C-1 zone, which allows for commercial on the ground floor and multi-residential, if wanted, above the second floor."
Quote:
Gentleman said the new owners bought two properties: Main Street Station and an adjacent property. Either site could be developed.
Not trying to be alarmist, just a realist. I sincerely hope that whatever development happens there will respect this historic building.

1932:

Quote:
The landmark red brick building was built by Dominion Atlantic Railway in 1929 as a year-round hotel. It was known as the Cornwallis Inn until a recent name change to Main Street Station.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 5:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's an Annapolis Valley Thread in the Atlantic Section. Perhaps this should be reposted there for all the non Haligonian Atlantic Canadians.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I've always known it as a beautiful landmark in Kentville and am kind of nervous that it will have bad things done to it in the name of "development". Normally I would think of this as unthinkable... like who would be dumb and heartless enough to remove such an attractive, historic building that welcomes all visitors to Kentville, but I've learned not to think that anymore given what I've seen in Halifax, plus how much of the historic railway stuff (like the roundhouse) has already been removed in Kentville.
I think it says quite a bit about our approach to heritage that this building isn’t protected, but I’d also be very surprised to see the developer want to become Kentville’s public enemy number one by tearing it down. My assumption would be some kind of boutique hotel or condo retrofit.

Last edited by Drybrain; May 1, 2022 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

There's an Annapolis Valley Thread in the Atlantic Section. Perhaps this should be reposted there for all the non Haligonian Atlantic Canadians.
Good idea!

Help me out a little. I don't see a dedicated Annapolis Valley thread in https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32. Did I miss it (entirely possible these days)?

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I think it says quite a bit about our approach to heritage that this building isn’t protected, but I’d also be very surprised to see the developer before Kentville’s public enemy number one by tearing it down. My assumption would be some kind of boutique hotel or condo retrofit.
I hope so!

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 7:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Good idea!

Help me out a little. I don't see a dedicated Annapolis Valley thread in https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32. Did I miss it (entirely possible these days)?
Try this:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=249735

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Got it. Thanks!

Not sure how I missed that, but...

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 10:01 PM

There is so much space in Kentville. Buying the one building that is attractive with the plan to tear it down would be weird.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 1:18 PM

It has been relatively low-end apartments for many years. Not much beauty left inside. I think the bathrooms in units may be mostly original and that is about all.

I don't see this being demolished. It has had a number of lower-tier owners over the last few decades and I expect it will remain largely as-is. It is probably wildly inefficient to run as most of its systems are old, and it likely has a long list of deferred maintenance items, but such is that fate of these sort of buildings that are in markets that cannot support the cost of major renovations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues