HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
taken from another off-topic topic that came up in a thread...

in look forward to seeing the beaches of portland maine or whatever but thought i'd kick this off with something that is going to upset everyone...people bbqing and camping on sand beaches and dunes within site of the st. louis skyline

2muddy.com

2muddy.com
That's a nice little beach for a picnic. Just don't swim in it, drink from it, or eat anything caught from it

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 11:53 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
That's a nice little beach for a picnic. Just don't swim in it, drink from it, or eat anything caught from it
basically, although people most definitely swim in it there. north of st. louis it’s...borderline. it’s even semi-clear at times. it’s really the missouri and the illinois that are the “nasty” rivers. the mississippi is this elegant thing that somehow keeps it halfway together. people also kayaked/canoed to that sandbar. between the first lock and the south end of the chain of rocks ship canal theres this naturalized stretch of rapids, a wild island that people camp on within view of downtown, semi-naturalized channel that people paddle in. alton pool north of the first lock is also paddled, sailed, swam but the river “purists” dont like it i guess because its behind a lock.

Last edited by Centropolis; Aug 23, 2019 at 12:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:03 PM
Oak City

Raleigh Beach area of Raleigh. Located off Raleigh Beach Road.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:20 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
Raleigh Beach area of Raleigh. Located off Raleigh Beach Road.
You have to admire that kind of refreshingly honest truth in advertising.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:02 PM

Why does that look familiar to me? Did they use that in "Fried Green Tomatoes" and/or "Splendor in the Grass"?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:27 PM
Registered Ugly

Sauvie Island doesn't have Portland skyline views, but Collin's Beach's clothing optional policy almost certainly assures that you'll see something traumatizing.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

chicago's famed oak street beach, one of the best urban beaches in the nation:

Palm Trees in Chicago by SolarWind - Chicago, on Flickr

Oak Street Beach by Jay Clark, on Flickr

source: https://horschgallery.herokuapp.com/...ncock-building

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:48 PM

Nice beach Steely.

Are beach-goers shuttled in by boat or helicopter? Or do they have to cross 12-16(?) lanes of traffic in terror ;-)

P.S. weary of the dumb palm tree photos from Vancouver... but Chicago? Are they replanted every year?

Maybe a new pedestrian bridge to the beach designed by Calatrava is in order. Cheers.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post

Are beach-goers shuttled in by boat or helicopter? Or do they have to cross 12-16(?) lanes of traffic in terror ;-)
LSD is actually 24 lanes wide now.

~500 pedestrians a year are killed trying to cross it to get to oak Street beach, but that's still less than the city's annual murder tally, so city officials aren't too concerned about it.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 25, 2019 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

~500 pedestrians a year are killed trying to cross it to get to oak Street beach, but that's still less than the city's annual murder rally, so city officials aren't too concerned about it.
I read that LSD is actually wider than the Katy Freeway + the frontage roads/turning lanes outside of the freeway that have been mistakenly included in the freeway lane count.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:17 PM
BANNED

I'd love to go to that beach in Chicago, during the summer.

I went to Montrose Beach on a beautiful, cloudy, windy 28 degree March day. The sand was frozen and the lake resembled a slushy at 7/11. It was really cool to see and hear the waves move the slush around.

I got some really great photos of the skyline from the south facing jetty thing/walkway.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 8:01 PM
Back on the road again

Atlanta

Atlanta's closest and most popular beach is probably Lake Lanier Islands which is about 45 miles northeast of the city at Lake Lanier.

Other than that, anywhere along the Florida panhandle (the "Redneck Riviera") you probably find more people from metro Atlanta than anywhere else, and the Georgia and South Carolina beaches of Savannah (Tybee Island) and Myrtle Beach about all about 3 to 4 hour drives away, depending on where you're starting from in the metro.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Nice beach Steely.

P.S. weary of the dumb palm tree photos from Vancouver... but Chicago? Are they replanted every year?

Maybe a new pedestrian bridge to the beach designed by Calatrava is in order. Cheers.
There's a tunnel.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:36 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Speaking of Atlanta and surrounding areas, Chattanooga has sandy areas and marinas in nearby Harrison Bay. It’s really just an wide part of the Tennessee River but functions as a summer getaway.

No point in Florida is never more than 70 miles from the water, so every city I have lived in or been to there had decent beaches that get more warm and amazing the farther south or west on the peninsula you get. I’ve been to South Beach, Riviera Beach, Palm Beach, and the beaches in Martin and St. Lucie counties.

However, despite their cold temperatures, California’s beaches are very scenic. La Jolla, Santa Monica, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, you name it. Beautiful cliffs, coves, and hills right next to the ocean.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 12:50 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Speaking of Atlanta and surrounding areas, Chattanooga has sandy areas and marinas in nearby Harrison Bay. It’s really just an wide part of the Tennessee River but functions as a summer getaway.

No point in Florida is never more than 70 miles from the water, so every city I have lived in or been to there had decent beaches that get more warm and amazing the farther south or west on the peninsula you get. I’ve been to South Beach, Riviera Beach, Palm Beach, and the beaches in Martin and St. Lucie counties.

However, despite their cold temperatures, California’s beaches are very scenic. La Jolla, Santa Monica, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, you name it. Beautiful cliffs, coves, and hills right next to the ocean.
I didn't know that about Chattanooga! Interesting!

My sister lives in Seminole (Tampa Bay area on the St. Pete side) and the whole stretch of beaches there, Reddington, Madiera, Indian Rocks, Clearwater and on and on is just beautiful. We visit her down there all the time.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Southern California waters -- you can trunk it right now -- I was in it yesterday afternoon 67-70 degrees. It's still much cooler than last two summers at this time where it was 75-77+, whereas Monterey's August monthly average is in the 50s, although I think they do have some spots reporting in around 60 right now.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

~500 pedestrians a year are killed trying to cross it to get to oak Street beach, but that's still less than the city's annual murder tally, so city officials aren't too concerned about it.
500 people a year die on that one stretch of road?! That's insane. It's not like there's a gross lack of safe access points either.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
I assume you're talking about the temperature of the water... because yesterday, I went to the beach to cool down. It was in the 90s where I live in the SGV, and I was hoping for at least upper 70s at the beaches... and when I got to the beach at Dana Point, it was 81 or 82---cooler than the SGV, but still borderline too warm for me, though nice in the shade and with the breeze.

So, for me anyway, I like the beach to be cool/cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Southern California waters -- you can trunk it right now -- I was in it yesterday afternoon 67-70 degrees. It's still much cooler than last two summers at this time where it was 75-77+, whereas Monterey's August monthly average is in the 50s, although I think they do have some spots reporting in around 60 right now.
Yes. Many people at the beach yesterday enjoying the water in their bathing suits/swim trunks.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
500 people a year die on that one stretch of road?!
of course not.

just an absurd response to an absurd question.

there are pedestrian/bike under/overpasses to get across LSD every 1/4 to 1/2 mile or so.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:14 PM

Chicago could have much much more beach shoreline, I don't understand why they settle for just that little corner. There must be no budget for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions