HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 1:56 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

5000 Robert Grant Ave | up to 65m | 1/6/9/18f | Proposed

The City of Ottawa has received an application from Lépine Corp. for a Zoning By-law Amendment for the property at 1000 Robert Grant Avenue to allow construction of 3 apartment buildings, ranging in height from 5-storeys (18 metres) to 15 storeys (54 metres)

The proposed development will create 566 new 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom rental apartments within three buildings. As shown in Figure 3.1, Building A (5 and 6 storeys) will face Livery Street, while Building B (15 storeys) and Building C (12 storeys) will be constructed on both sides of the main entrance at Robert Grant Avenue. The centre of the site will be comprehensively landscaped and will include a 1-storey community amenity building (club house), a vehicle drop-off circle, surface parking stalls for visitors, loading areas, access to the underground parking, and a system of pathways. This pedestrian circulation system will connect the four buildings, link up with the multi-use pathway (MUP) on Robert Grant Avenue and the sidewalk on Livery Street

This apartment community will have its own 24-hour concierge, security and reception services. Two levels of underground parking underneath the entire site will provide 617 stalls for residents, visitors, and persons with disabilities. 283 bicycle parking spaces will also be provided underground. The underground parking garage will have direct vehicular access to Robert Grant Avenue, Livery Street, and all four buildings on site. 6 surface parking stalls will also be provided for visitors.

Architect: NEUF

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__BIIOQP

Site:

Drawings:

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 10:53 AM

Very odd location for a 15 storey tower. Will it be a 'tower in the park' Le Corbusier style development. I can't imagine that there is a sufficient market for 15 storeys of units in the area between Kanata and Stittsville with the view of suburbia.

Cue the pitchfork brigade of opposition once this becomes public knowledge.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 12:26 PM

Looks like it's less than 500 meters from the future Hazeldean Station.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Very odd location for a 15 storey tower. Will it be a 'tower in the park' Le Corbusier style development. I can't imagine that there is a sufficient market for 15 storeys of units in the area between Kanata and Stittsville with the view of suburbia.

Cue the pitchfork brigade of opposition once this becomes public knowledge.
There is a HUGE market - all the Kanata boomers that want to retire in Kanata, ditch their house (and adult children still stuck with them) but don't want the expense of retirement resorts. Also # of tech workers that can't afford or want a house.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Looks like it's less than 500 meters from the future Hazeldean Station.
Nope, its close to Abbott / the Trans Canada Trail - not Hazeldean. There is supposed to be BRT along Robert Grant Avenue extending from Hazeldean station, but thats a long time from now.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 12:53 PM
inner city

Thanks as always for the post, Rocketphish...you rock!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Nope, its close to Abbott / the Trans Canada Trail - not Hazeldean. There is supposed to be BRT along Robert Grant Avenue extending from Hazeldean station, but thats a long time from now.
Ah damn! What the heck was I looking at!?

Thanks for pointing that out.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah this would make more sense if it was right at Hazeldean. Any higher order transit adjacent to this is decades out.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Yeah this would make more sense if it was right at Hazeldean. Any higher order transit adjacent to this is decades out.
It reminds me of Lepine's high density development at Innes and Page. Density in the strangest locations.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 4:42 PM

Should be rejected. Too far in the middle of nowhere. Density in Kanata should be in the Town Centre area.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
It reminds me of Lepine's high density development at Innes and Page. Density in the strangest locations.
Another location that is close to a future transit station (Cumberland Transitway). At least that spot on Innes is located along an existing frequent transit route.

I don't think there is any basis to reject this since the OP calls for intensification close to existing and future transit stations. In the shorter term, hopefully the development will lead to transit improvements.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 5:18 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
Thanks as always for the post, Rocketphish...you rock!
Thanks! You're most welcome!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 11:51 PM
National Capital Region

This site is right beside a future rapid station in the TMP (BRT at-grade in 2031 ultimate plan, bus priority in the affordable plan)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 11:55 PM

That corridor isn't even going to have regular bus service anytime soon as IIRC the Robert Grant Avenue roadway isn't even supposed to extend north to the highway area for another decade.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 12:32 AM

I've changed my initial opinion on this. Reading the planning rational won me over. It's a little "towers in the park" but I think it's well thought out. They talk about the transit priority corridor in the rational, essentially saying it's a chicken or the egg thing. That building density now will justify bringing transit priority to the are sooner.

The only thing I worry about is they are rezoning from arterial main street (mixed use). I hope the remaining mixed use blocks to the south are developed with some "neighborhood commercial" or else there won't be much in the area.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 2:36 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Updated proposal (June 2020): The development will now create 504 new rental apartments within three buildings. Building A (4, 5, and 6 storeys) will terrace down toward Livery Street, while Building B (9 storeys) and Building C (18 storeys) will be constructed on both sides of the main entrance at Robert Grant Avenue.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 2:36 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

It could be Stittsville's turn to absorb residential density thanks to proposed 18-storey complex

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: May 05, 2021 • 2 hours ago • 3 minute read

Tall development could be coming to the village of Stittsville as residents push back against a high-rise proposal that some worry will alter the character of the growing west-Ottawa suburb.

It’s another example of a high-density, big-building projects coming to a community that, until now, hasn’t experienced that kind of residential intensification.

And it likely won’t be the last controversy as the city aims to establish more than half of all new homes in built-up communities, especially around current and future rapid transit stations. Suburban communities, like the inner-urban areas, will need to absorb the density.

Future transit plans for Stittsville are working in favour of Lépine’s development proposal for 5000 Robert Grant Ave.

Lépine Corp. wants a high-density residential development on the two-hectare lot on the east side of Robert Grant Avenue between Abbott Street and Bobolink Ridge. The company envisions 504 rental units on the site, with a goal of situating the tallest building away from the existing neighbourhood on Livery Street.

The units would be in three buildings of six storeys, nine storeys and, the most controversial piece, 18 storeys. Another one-storey building would be used for amenities.

Zoning currently allows multiple nine-storey buildings on the property and about 550 units.

Tanya Hein, president of the Stittsville Community Association, said the organization was against the extra height allowance pursued by Lépine. Opponents don’t believe the transportation network can handle the added volume of vehicles.

“The infrastructure is not in place,” Hein said. “Until Robert Grant extends up to the highway, it’s just going cause a lot more traffic congestion and frustration.”

Hein said there would be a significant transition from the townhomes on Livery Street to the high-rise.

“It does not fit in and it’s going to set a precedent,” Hein said.

Lépine will need a zoning amendment endorsed by planning committee on May 13 before the matter moves to council later this month. City planners are recommending that council approves the application.

The city is eyeing an extension of the LRT system to the Stittsville area as part of a Stage 3 O-Train expansion, but the terminus would be at Hazeldean Road, well north of the Lépine development site. Plus, there’s no timeline for Stage 3.

However, Robert Grant Avenue is intended to have a bus rapid transit route with a station located just north of the site at Abbott Street, providing the rationale for allowing more density on the land.

Few development proposals in Stittsville have attracted the same level of concern.

Stittsville Coun. Glen Gower said he would support the application since Lépine had made concessions, including lowering the unit count and holding off on building the high-rise until Robert Grant Avenue was constructed to Hazeldean Road. The road extension could happen in four to five years or earlier, he said.

“Transportation is an issue for every development application we have out here,” Gower said. “I think there’s a lot of merit to those concerns. We are so far behind for the big transportation projects for Stittsville and the west end of Ottawa.”

Gower said Lépine could have covered the land with nine-storey structures, but, instead, the company loaded up the density near Robert Grant Avenue, away from the adjacent low-rise neighbourhood.

According to Gower, Stittsville is changing just like the rest of Ottawa and the community, too, will need to accept some intensification near transit stations to avoid having to expand development at the edges.

Stittsville is no longer considered a hamlet at the outskirts of Ottawa, he said.

Hein said she rejected any criticism that opponents were simply NIMBYs — not in my backyard — since residents have understood that the property would have a maximum height of nine storeys.

It’s a community, she said, that still thinks of itself as a village.

“It’s not that we don’t want growth,” Hein said. “Growth supports business, it supports all sorts of good things, but I don’t think it has to go this far.”

With city planners and the ward councillor registering support of Lépine’s application, the chances are high that it will receive council’s endorsement. The planning committee meeting will be residents’ last chance to address decision-makers directly about the rezoning request.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...storey-complex

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 1:57 PM

I really like Glen Gower's take on this. From the article:

Quote:
Stittsville Coun. Glen Gower said he would support the application since Lépine had made concessions, including lowering the unit count and holding off on building the high-rise until Robert Grant Avenue was constructed to Hazeldean Road. The road extension could happen in four to five years or earlier, he said.

“Transportation is an issue for every development application we have out here,” Gower said. “I think there’s a lot of merit to those concerns. We are so far behind for the big transportation projects for Stittsville and the west end of Ottawa.”

Gower said Lépine could have covered the land with nine-storey structures, but, instead, the company loaded up the density near Robert Grant Avenue, away from the adjacent low-rise neighbourhood.

According to Gower, Stittsville is changing just like the rest of Ottawa and the community, too, will need to accept some intensification near transit stations to avoid having to expand development at the edges.

Stittsville is no longer considered a hamlet at the outskirts of Ottawa, he said.
He is correct in that Stittsville is no longer a small town “Just Beyond the Fringe” as was commonly said. Even at that, this development is hardly within what would traditionally be called the Village of Stittsville, it is near the boarder with Kanata.

As for traffic concerns, Robert Grant is intended to be a major transportation (not just transit) corridor. It is true that until it is extended to the Queensway, there will be some strain on Hazeldean and Terry Fox, but I do beleive that it will be manageable if the developer is willing to hold off on building the high-rise until the extension to Hazeldean is built.

As for the suggestion that density should only be built near transit stations, the problem is, prime TOD land like that will become expensive. As a corollary of a post of mine in the Regional and Intercity Bus\Rail Transportation, building affordable housing on prime development land doesn't work, "because no mater how dense you make it, it's never going to be affordable when it has to sit on some of the most expensive land in the region."

Don't get me wrong, we need density in prime TOD areas, but that doesn't mean that density should be strictly limited to TOD areas. The key is providing good bus service connecting these more remote pockets of density to a transportation hub.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
alter the character of the growing west-Ottawa suburb
What character? What are they talking about? It's a field 2.5km from the old village main street.

NIMBYs don't seem to understand that height does not equal more units. It's a redistribution of units to allow for more green space and breathing room.

This proposal is good density for a future Transitway.

Side note, I took a quick look at Glen Gower's open houses on YouTube, and a bunch of development proposals within a few hundred meters from the future O-Train are still sfh and townhomes. The City needs to push for more density around future transit stations. Town centres or towers directly adjacent and 4-6 floors within walking distance.

I generally like Gower. He's seems far more engaged and open to a more modern way of thinking than many of his colleagues.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:40 PM

I love it when Stittsville people are like "but anything more than 3 storeys will ruin the current character of our neighbourhood".

The current character of the neighbourhood:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs