HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
And if you listen to Herdman he is the first Canadian coach I know of who engages in the Concacaf dark arts.
I love these terms !

"CONCACAF dark arts."

"Getting concacafed"

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/09/02...er-daily-cover

But I don't buy the argument that it doesn't exist in other jurisdictions. It does. Just not at the same level as here.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 2:59 AM

Canadian men's soccer team makes big leap in FIFA rankings
Sportsnet Staff Sportsnet September 16, 2021

The Canadian men’s soccer team has jumped eight spots to No. 51 in the latest FIFA world rankings (No. 35 ELO World Ratings - elly), released Thursday.

Canada made the leap after tying Honduras and the United States and beating El Salvador in the first three games of the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying.

It marks the best ranking for Canada since the team also reached No. 51 in 2007.

Canada is ranked fourth in CONCACAF, behind No. 9 Mexico, No. 13 U.S. and No. 44 Costa Rica.

Belgium remains No. 1, while Brazil stays at No. 2. England, France and Italy round out the top five.

Canada continues 2022 Qatar World Cup qualifying with road games against Mexico (Oct. 7) and Jamaica (Oct. 10) before returning to BMO Field in Toronto to face Panama on Oct. 13.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 5:05 PM

Canadian Championship - Canada Soccer

This deserves it's own thread with some real coast to coast professional soccer Canadian match-ups happening now thanks to the CPL joining MLS teams in the tournament.

And especially after Vancouver being eliminated by a CPL team.

As of today One soccer channel is now available on Telus TV channel 980.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/events/...-championship/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 5:07 PM
ハルウララ

Don't think we need multiple threads on what is essentially the same topic. This will be the Canadian soccer catch-all going forward.

Exciting night, though. Montreal are in good form but York have a legit chance to beat TFC tonight.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Don't think we need multiple threads on what is essentially the same topic. This will be the Canadian soccer catch-all going forward.

Exciting night, though. Montreal are in good form but York have a legit chance to beat TFC tonight.
Forgot there was this thread about Canadian soccer.

Wouldn't want to clutter up the Canadian sub with random things, like Turkey day threads about covid

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
As of today One soccer channel is now available on Telus TV channel 980.
That's great... hopefully they won't be the only cable provider to add One Soccer to their lineup.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 5:26 PM

I'm more excited by all the news announcements surrounding the CCL and Leagues Cup. Looks like the Canadian MLS teams have a lot of chances to enter the championship with a real possibility of sending all three there some years even. As well, the CPL teams have direct entry. Could see quite a few CPL vs LMX matchups...as lopsided as that sounds right now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 2:18 PM
ハルウララ

The new semi-professional BC League 1 will launch next summer with eights men’s teams and eight women’s teams.

A great opportunity for U SPORTS and Canada West players to play in the summer months.

https://twitter.com/BenSteiner00/sta...71372883382276

Rumours that a few of the teams will be directly affiliated with Canada West/U Sports teams.

This would make BC the third semi-pro soccer league in Canada, joining L1O in Ontario and PLSQ in Quebec.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 6:24 PM
ハルウララ

Two matches of the CANWNT Celebration Tour announced. October 23rd at TD Place Ottawa and October 26th at Stade Saputo in Montreal. Both matches against 2023 World Cup co-hosts New Zealand.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada...-and-montreal/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 6:49 PM
ハルウララ

https://twitter.com/CPLsoccer/status...01968000131074

Forge won their Round of 16 match in Panama last night against Independiente after going down a man and have qualified for the CONCACAF League quarterfinals. Another big away win and one step closer to qualifying for the 2022 CONCACAF Champions League. If Forge win their quarterfinal matchup or are one of the two best losing quarterfinal teams then they will qualify for the 2022 CONCACAF Champions League as the second Canadian entry, with the first being the 2021 Canadian Championship winner, which Forge are also still in contention to win.

Forge actually looking at a potential treble in 2021.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 9:26 PM

Canada plays in the next few weeks at BMO Field in Toronto against Panama...home game who is going to that

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Canada plays in the next few weeks at BMO Field in Toronto against Panama...home game who is going to that
Got my tickets and booked my Porter flight to TO! First flight since the pandemic and first international soccer match

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:07 AM

I've only been to two Canada games. 2008 WCQ against Jamaica and 2015 GC double header of Canada v Costa Rica and Jamaica v Honduras. Both Canada games were draws.

The first one was a very good atmosphere and there was way more red in the stands than green and gold. I was a member of the CSA at the time and got the presale code. I bought a total of 63 tickets in one of the supporter's sections in the corner for $19 each and sold them for 20 bucks to friends and family and their people. So I had a massive block of seats not far from the pitch and it was funny when we got there well ahead of time and random people would enter from the concourse and sit in one of the empty seats, including right before kickoff, and we'd say no, not happening. Those are spoken for and they'll be here soon. Can't blame them though as I've done that in the past, though it always worked out. That includes second row behind home plate at the Jays game when they sucked bad and a few rows back at a Bills game in the endzone when they also sucked.

Anyway, those tickets were going for $100 on stubhub. I could have made a fortune if I wanted to. Like in 2009 or 2010 or something, there was a Pizza Pizza promo for TFC where you order two pizzas or something and you get two nose bleed tickets. I ordered a few pizzas over two days and ended up with a bunch of pizzas and ate like a pig for a while. In the end I had 14 tickets as the last store owner I went to wanted to get rid of the last of his allotment and sold those few for like 10 bucks or something. I kept two tix for myself and sold the other 12 for $50 a piece on kijiji. Ah yes, when the novelty of TFC and BMO was alive and well.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 7:40 AM

Borjan may be out (with the Covid) for the Mexico WCQ. Fortuitously, Crepeau has already played (and played well) in front of 50k+ Mexicans (in Houston). Crepeau has been on a string of good fortune lately, we shall see.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 11:16 AM

Canada's next 3 qualifiers are against Mexico which is an away game in Mexico at the Azteca, Jamaica which is also an away game in Jamaica and then against Panama we are back at home at BMO Field...so for Canada our next 3 games are basically must win games if you think about it as far as the WCQ standings

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Borjan may be out (with the Covid) for the Mexico WCQ. Fortuitously, Crepeau has already played (and played well) in front of 50k+ Mexicans (in Houston). Crepeau has been on a string of good fortune lately, we shall see.
Crepeau isn't that much of a step down from Borjan, IMO, so I don't really see this being much of a big deal, thankfully.

Quote:
Canada's next 3 qualifiers are against Mexico which is an away game in Mexico at the Azteca, Jamaica which is also an away game in Jamaica and then against Panama we are back at home at BMO Field...so for Canada our next 3 games are basically must win games if you think about it as far as the WCQ standings
Games against Mexico are never must-wins because it's generally assumed we'll be dropping points, especially when visiting Azteca. A draw would be phenomenal and a loss expected. Jamaica away probably should be a win given their form but away in CONCACAF is always a tossup, and home to Panama should be a win. It's early but we are still third in the stage.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Not must win games but we have to pick up some points. A draw against a world top-10 team would be amazing but hardly expected. I was worried about how close our games are together but all the teams are playing on the same day so hopefully not much of a factor. Actually, we play Jamaica 3 days before Panama but Panama plays Mexico on the same night. They will have to dress their A-team while we may get away with resting some top guys going into that home game on the 13th. Looking forward to it for sure!

On that note, where they hell can I find a Team Canada jersey? It seems ridiculously hard to me to get one!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:11 PM

Canada vs Mexico away I say we lose that fixture but against the Reggae Boyz we win that game and then against Panama we win that game

That would take us to 11 points assuming we beat Jamaica and Panama but then lose to Mexico

Because we drew with USA and Honduras and beat El Salvador (5 points)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Canada vs Mexico away I say we lose that fixture but against the Reggae Boyz we win that game and then against Panama we win that game

That would take us to 11 points assuming we beat Jamaica and Panama but then lose to Mexico

Because we drew with USA and Honduras and beat El Salvador (5 points)
IMO that would be an amazing start the tournament and likely have us in the top 3 half way in.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:54 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Not must win games but we have to pick up some points. A draw against a world top-10 team would be amazing but hardly expected. I was worried about how close our games are together but all the teams are playing on the same day so hopefully not much of a factor. Actually, we play Jamaica 3 days before Panama but Panama plays Mexico on the same night. They will have to dress their A-team while we may get away with resting some top guys going into that home game on the 13th. Looking forward to it for sure!

On that note, where they hell can I find a Team Canada jersey? It seems ridiculously hard to me to get one!
It does seem ridiculously hard. Canada Soccer Store seems to be the only place I can find that has an actual jersey. Although I can't find a red home jersey outside of a youth size.

Come on people. We've got the best football team we've had in decades where's the capitalization on the merchandise?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada