HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 2:02 PM

50 King Street - 43s, 53s - York Developments (Approved)

Last edited by GreatTallNorth2; Feb 24, 2022 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 2:10 PM

I count over 50 floors in the tallest one. Looks like it would be a new tallest for London by a significant margin. Interested in seeing more details!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 2:13 PM

York is also quoted as saying there would eventually be a 3rd tower on the site. And construction could start at the end of this year

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 2:19 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I count over 50 floors in the tallest one. Looks like it would be a new tallest for London by a significant margin. Interested in seeing more details!
Looks like London has a cap of 35 stories and they want both towers to be 40+. I am assuming council will budge. Welcome to the 40 story building boom. London surely needs it to help with all the growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
York is also quoted as saying there would eventually be a 3rd tower on the site. And construction could start at the end of this year
Would that possibly be the development involving/integrating the old court house?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 2:23 PM

I hope they can maybe incorporate some neon or something cool like that into these buildings, seeing as how they would be a kind of icon of our downtown. Very cool. Looking forward to more details

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 2:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Amazing. This prime location demands something bold and tall. Imagine 50 storeys in London.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 3:34 PM

I hope there is something interesting at the street level too, more than just an entrance to the buildings. It would be a great location for a hotel as well, like I know in some cities they combine residential with a hotel component.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 4:24 PM

This is terrific news for the downtown. The height limit in the official plan should never have been included and needs to be deleted immediately. The mental midgets who thought of limiting height in the core should be ashamed of themselves.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
This is terrific news for the downtown. The height limit in the official plan should never have been included and needs to be deleted immediately. The mental midgets who thought of limiting height in the core should be ashamed of themselves.
I think it serves a purpose - for example if a developer wants to go taller, they have to meet a certain design criteria. Otherwise we will get a lot more CityPlace, Drewlo style boxes, which we don't want.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 5:21 PM

You don't need height limits to enforce design standards. The two are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I think it serves a purpose - for example if a developer wants to go taller, they have to meet a certain design criteria. Otherwise we will get a lot more CityPlace, Drewlo style boxes, which we don't want.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 6:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

please, no more Drewlo style boxes. Drewless.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 11:36 PM

I love the design, definitely would look great downtown. Just seems like a good fit!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 4:26 AM

I'm very happy with this, pending the final renders. Hieght is just right! I'm guessing 550 - 575 feet for the taller one.

If these and Farhi's go as planned the view from Labatt Park will be world class!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 4:27 PM

It looks like the one tower would be 40 storeys and the taller one at 50 storeys. It looks good and will be a nice build for in the downtown. I was talking with a realtor developer from the Toronto area and they are looking at coming to London in the near future with an even taller project than this one. I wasn't given the full details, but taller and upward is the only real way to go.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 6:54 PM
Londoner

Wow!!!

If this gets built 50 stories or above it will put London on the map for sure!!!!
Especially with that design and that height and location!!!!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:
You don't need height limits to enforce design standards. The two are mutually exclusive.
Well said!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
The city has a height limit regardless. They have used the height limit negotiating with developers to get better design. It's right in the documents when they submit proposals, I've seen it many times.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2022, 3:53 PM
User Registered

Could the height limit also be due to the amount of work you need for the foundation? I mean London was a glacier- and the Thames fork, where this is close to- was pretty much a toilet bowl during their retreat. May not be the most solid ground- lots of uncertainty for 35+ floors without a ton of excavation?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 26, 2022, 4:54 PM

I don't know when they set that height limit, but I suspect it was when they looked at One London Place and someone said "that's 25 floors, how much taller can they go here, maybe 35?" and didn't put a ton more thought into it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2022, 8:47 PM

I don't think the height will be an issue. The only reason city's have height restrictions are due to being near an airport like Edmonton once had, to protect view corridors like Vancouver, to ensure the dominance of one particular building or civic place like Ottawa and Parliament Hill or to ensure the integrity of a historic area. None of these things apply to London.

The city may just use it as a bargaining chip to try to get civic amenities in exchange for the height allowance but that's it. The downtown desperately needs more people living there to ensure it's vitality and growth and the last thing they will want is to be seen stopping projects from doing just that.

As far as the Farhi proposal, it was a stupid one but thankfully due to being a Farhi proposal it will never get built so it's irrelevant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates