HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Elysian in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 7:12 AM

The steel net is not a mat; it will form part of the retaining wall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slurry_wall

http://www.slurrywall.com/slurry-wal...E-SLURRY-WALLS

Last edited by Jaroslaw; Dec 25, 2006 at 7:18 AM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 7:26 AM
BANNED

Oh I see, I thought someone said it was the for the foundation, I get it now...

Thanks...

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Oh I see, I thought someone said it was the for the foundation, I get it now...

Thanks...
Well, the slurry wall is apart of the foundation foundation technically. It's a bathtub basiclly, like what the World Trade Center site has around it to keep the Hudson out...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 4:24 AM

Why are there no new pictures of my favorite building?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 1:26 AM
Chicago

January 17, 2007

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 1:29 AM

Thats it? How long have they been U/C?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 2:03 AM

Yikes, this one is moving rather slow, I figured they'd be done with the foundation and working on the excavation by now....they still have about 40-50ft to dig down...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 3:07 AM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Yikes, this one is moving rather slow, I figured they'd be done with the foundation and working on the excavation by now....they still have about 40-50ft to dig down...
Yeah, everything about this building seems to go slow. Years from now, a person turns to another and mutters, "damn these elevators take forever".

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 3:25 AM

Thanks for the pictures, although I see why you hadnt updated before....not much to see. Hopefully they pick up the pace soon.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 10:16 PM

Whats in a name?

You'd think they might have looked into the connotations of the name a little more closely on this one. The gold coast is a bit staid, but not sure I'd want to live in a building named after the final resting place of heros:

From wikipedia:

In Greek mythology, Elysium (Greek: λύσια πεδία) was a section of the Underworld (the spelling Elysium is a Latinization of the Greek word Elysion). Elysium is an obscure and mysterious name that evolved from a designation of a place or person struck by lightning, enelysion, enelysios. Alternately, scholars have also suggested that Greek Elysion may instead derive from the Egyptian term ialu (older iaru), meaning "reeds," with specific reference to the "Reed fields" (Egyptian: sekhet iaru / ialu), a paradisiacal land of plenty where the dead hoped to spend eternity. Biblical scholars have suggested that Elysion may derive from Elisha, who was, according to Genesis, a son of Yawan (Iouan, forefather of the Ionians) and one of the ancestors of the Greeks. Elisha may have been worshipped as a god by his earliest descendents.

The Elysian fields, or sometimes Elysian plains, were the final resting place of the souls of the heroic and the virtuous. Two Homeric passages in particular established for Greeks the nature of the Afterlife: the dreamed apparition of the dead Patroclus in the Iliad and the more daring boundary-breaking visit in Book 11 of the Odyssey. Greek traditions concerning funerary ritual were reticent, but the Homeric examples encouraged other heroic visits, in the myth cycles centered around Theseus and Heracles.

In White Wolf, Inc's Vampire: the Masquerade and Vampire: the Requiem role playing games, Elysium is the name of a fictional place (usually a mansion, museum, or similar building with a function that is usually formal) wherein the Prince (vampire leader of the city) has declared a sanctuary. Elysium is used for formal meetings, socialization, celebration, court, and to seek asylum. The tradition of Elysium forbids violence within its confines, meaning even a vampire wanted dead can seek relief from their persecution there. The plural form of Elysium is Elysia, and larger cities have been known to have several Elysia.

In Saint Seiya, the Elysium Fields are the stage of the last battle against the God Hades.

The Vision of Aeneas in the Elysian Fields

Creepy.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 10:23 PM
Chaos Machine

^OK, the "Elysian Fields," were a paradise-like place that heroes were supposed to go in mythology, an afterlife if you will. However, the word "elysian" by itself, as it is used here, means surpassing excellence, paradise, a state of happiness, etc.. all of which are words that fit pretty well with a ritzy hotel and condo tower I think.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
^OK, the "Elysian Fields," were a paradise-like place that heroes were supposed to go in mythology, an afterlife if you will. However, the word "elysian" by itself, as it is used here, means surpassing excellence, paradise, a state of happiness, etc.. all of which are words that fit pretty well with a ritzy hotel and condo tower I think.
this from a being called "pandemonious". again, i quote wikipedia:

"Pandæmonium" (American English "Pandemonium") is stemmed from Greek ("παν" meaning "all" or "every" + δαιμόνιον meaning "little spirit" or "little angel" or as Christians interpreted it, "little daemon," and later, "demon." The word roughly translates to All Demons), it is the name invented by John Milton for the capital of Hell, "the High Capital, of Satan and his Peers", built by the fallen angels at the suggestion of Mammon at the end of Book I, Paradise Lost (1667). A comparison in meaning can be made with "pantheon" which refers to all of the gods. Book II begins with the debate among the demons in the council-chamber of Pandemonium.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 11:46 PM
THAT Guy

I doubt they were stupid enough not to understand the Elysium before marketing this tower for several years as "Paradise." You must remember that Elysian often has a very positive meaning.

And there already is the Elysees Condos building nearby and that doesn't seem to have any problems.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 12:36 AM
Flatiron

Also a song on MEGADETH's album Youthanasia. Yeah!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 2:08 AM

I suppose it's better than building on a former cemetery that was dug up for developement, like part of the north shore is.

Also, there is an area on the southside near the lakeshore that was a pow concentration camp in the 1860s where over 6000 people died from disease, starvation, execution etc. They are buried in a mass grave farther south near 71st st and Cottage Grove. Much of the former pow camp has condos on it. I think there is a school on part of it. I don't think many people know about what the site was used for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Douglas_%28Chicago%29

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:30 AM

From today....

Nothing much happening on the site...

On a side note, I am really going to miss that little frame house, which is to be demolished soon for 10 East Delaware.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post

On a side note, I am really going to miss that little frame house, which is to be demolished soon for 10 East Delaware.
^ I am going to miss that frame house too. Did anyone live there, or was it all commercial (I am assuming the latter). Also, I read that Trotter is going to be selling some food on some United Airlines flights. I bring this up here since he has agreed with the Elysian to open a restaurant there. Airline food at the Elysian doesnt sound too tasty.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post

These are great photos. 30 W Oak looks amazing and the 900 N Michigan parking garage quite depressing.

This tower is still just so damn quiet.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 8:56 PM

^ Shawn,
So it's confirmed that shack is a goner? That's a shame, wasn't it built around 1871 or 1872, immediately post-fire?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
^ Shawn,
So it's confirmed that shack is a goner? That's a shame, wasn't it built around 1871 or 1872, immediately post-fire?
That white frame house looks a bit nicer than a "shack" -- I'd live in it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture