HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
HFR doesn't need to be double tracked for the most part because it won't be sharing with freight trains.

Here's a quote from that study:

Exactly what I have been saying! Though, 3hr40 for the train is a bit faster than I expected. But that was back then, it will probably be slower now in the same way all the other VIA operations have got slower.
Well, then the goal is to get VIA up to the point they could sustain their maximum of 90mph for as much as possible. That 300km route would be done in 2 hours. The question would be what is needed to do that? The other question would be whether it would be worth it?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Well, then the goal is to get VIA up to the point they could sustain their maximum of 90mph for as much as possible. That 300km route would be done in 2 hours. The question would be what is needed to do that? The other question would be whether it would be worth it?
I agree!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree!
How?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:18 AM

Quote:
How?
Because you are saying what is needed - a train has to have a good average speed to compete with other modes of travel. A train that could make the trip in 2ish hours would be a very attractive option, and at that point would likely be able to fill enough seats to get the frequency to an ok level.

The question is then though, how much will it cost?

My opinion is, you might as well spend the money to make it fast enough to virtually eliminate air travel as an option.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
I said passenger speed is almost always higher than freight speed. You said only on class 5 track which is not true. Im not sure exactly what youre arguing?
No I didn’t. I said that VIA trains can only run 95mph and even 100mph on Class 5 track. On lower classes of track they must travel slower than that. Your implication was that they could travel that fast on any track in the country.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:49 AM

Quote:
We can?
I thought the Trillium line can only use theirs if no other train is running.
First of all the trillium line crosses, at grade, the Beachburg subdivision.

Secondly, as for sharing the track, I gather Transport Canada wanted to allow it but the City of Ottawa requested that it be prohibited.

Thirdly, the FRA has passed regulations for using European DMUs on shared track without a special exemption but I don’t believe TC has passed similar regulations here.

Fourthly, they are right to be cautious. Europe has these, tinny tiny, baby freight trains that are only allowed when passenger trains don’t need the track. Here freight trains are massive and run 24/7, making collisions with one more likely and devastating, so running wimpy DMUs on a mainline here would be foolish. A head on collision between a European DMU and a 150 car, North American, freight train would likely kill every passenger on board.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post

Secondly, as for sharing the track, I gather Transport Canada wanted to allow it but the City of Ottawa requested that it be prohibited.

Thirdly, the FRA has passed regulations for using European DMUs on shared track without a special exemption but I don’t believe TC has passed similar regulations here.

Fourthly, they are right to be cautious. Europe has these, tinny tiny, baby freight trains that are only allowed when passenger trains don’t need the track. Here freight trains are massive and run 24/7, making collisions with one more likely and devastating, so running wimpy DMUs on a mainline here would be foolish. A head on collision between a European DMU and a 150 car, North American, freight train would likely kill every passenger on board.
Safety regulations in North America came about from many tragedies.

My grandmother's first husband was a baggageman on a passenger train and was killed in a head on train collision. The other train consisted of only an engine. It doesn't take much to cause tragedy.

Safety still needs to be paramount.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:33 PM

Quote:

I haven't ever seen any convincing case for the effectiveness of the US rail safety strategy of building trains like tanks. What difference does it make if a European DMU hits a 2km long CP freight train or a 400m Deutsche Bahn freight train head on? The end result is going to be similar, there's no way you can engineer any train to safely withstand thousands of tonnes travelling at 100+km/h. In Europe they use the amazing strategy of not having an atrocious safety record and not having the trains crash in the first place, which seems to work much better.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Because you are saying what is needed - a train has to have a good average speed to compete with other modes of travel. A train that could make the trip in 2ish hours would be a very attractive option, and at that point would likely be able to fill enough seats to get the frequency to an ok level.

The question is then though, how much will it cost?

My opinion is, you might as well spend the money to make it fast enough to virtually eliminate air travel as an option.
What if the money is there to make it only go 60-70mph, should it not be done? I would argue that we need to start from somewhere to build back up our passenger service throughout Canada. I do agree that the faster it goes, the more appealing it is. Nothing worse than driving and being outpaced by a friken passenger train or commuter train....

Quote:

There is a fleet of planes grounded due to the fact that people died from a design and cost saving failure. Maybe it is time those 14,000+ feet long trains become a thing of the past. Maybe it is time to double track all mainlines. Maybe it is time to force all freight to side for the passenger train. Maybe it is time to nationalize the rail lines and have freight carriers be contractors.

Maybe it is time to change how we view rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Safety regulations in North America came about from many tragedies.

My grandmother's first husband was a baggageman on a passenger train and was killed in a head on train collision. The other train consisted of only an engine. It doesn't take much to cause tragedy.

Safety still needs to be paramount.
Absolutely agree. I have been told that every rule is written in blood.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I haven't ever seen any convincing case for the effectiveness of the US rail safety strategy of building trains like tanks. What difference does it make if a European DMU hits a 2km long CP freight train or a 400m Deutsche Bahn freight train head on? The end result is going to be similar, there's no way you can engineer any train to safely withstand thousands of tonnes travelling at 100+km/h. In Europe they use the amazing strategy of not having an atrocious safety record and not having the trains crash in the first place, which seems to work much better.
I am guessing you do not understand physics. One might be more survivable than the other due to the forces and due to the design features of one vs the other.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
I am guessing you do not understand physics. One might be more survivable than the other due to the forces and due to the design features of one vs the other.
No it must be you that doesn't understand physics then (my degree wasn't in physics, but it heavily used it). The potential energy in a head on collision between a 4000T European freight train and a 500T multiple unit travelling at 100km/h plus towards each other is going to be so immense that no engineering could make a difference.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:48 PM

Read this if you're interested, I'm heading out and haven't read it fully, but should give some insight:

Reducing Passenger Train Procurement Costs
The FRA’s Outmoded Safety Regulations Should Be Repealed

And the FRA did change the rules! So if you think the rules are good, the FRA says you are wrong.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No it must be you that doesn't understand physics then (my degree wasn't in physics, but it heavily used it). The potential energy in a head on collision between a 4000T European freight train and a 500T multiple unit travelling at 100km/h plus towards each other is going to be so immense that no engineering could make a difference.
While I read your article you posted, please work out the math, and then post it.

Otherwise, I can just file it under the same when people say they are anti vaxx yet do not have degrees in medicine or biology.

I too, do not have a degree in physics, but as an engineer, I do know that there are methods in design that can mitigate the forces acting upon the passengers and the train as a whole.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Read this if you're interested, I'm heading out and haven't read it fully, but should give some insight:

Reducing Passenger Train Procurement Costs
The FRA’s Outmoded Safety Regulations Should Be Repealed

And the FRA did change the rules! So if you think the rules are good, the FRA says you are wrong.
A good read and something TC should adopt.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Or maybe we have all been focused on being right instead of seeing meaningful discussion. I am not digging through here, but when someone points to a fact that I did not know, or that I got wrong, I acknowledge it and then work with the new fact.
I don’t expect any participant to be an expert on the subject, but it does help if we don’t have to discuss whether yellow is yellow or bright purple. That said, I certainly appreciate your new, more constructive approach to the discussions here and I'm looking forward to sharing two larger posts on which I have been working over the last few weeks, which both relate to the wonderful world of passenger rail timetabling: one will look at how the services on the CN route would have looked if VIA had been allowed to keep the Canadian on the CP route, whereas the other will look at the challenges and trade-offs when scheduling once-daily or night trains...

Quote:
I have been trying to use their trip planner and the PDFs. I am still trying to figure out what day 1,2,3, etc is. It is a learning process.
I admit that VIA’s timetables can be a bit difficult to read, but every PDF timetable file comes with handy explanations like these (found in the System timetable PDF on page 3):

Quote:
This is not my area of expertise, but that does not mean I cannot learn and create a good report from quality research.
The degree of expertise you already command only determines how much knowledge and understanding you will need to acquire to obtain the level of quality in your research you desire. Your skills and abilities will only influence how much time and efforts that learning process will take…

Quote:
That actually was a mistake. I thought there was no space. People spell my first name wrong all the time, even when I spell it out for them.
No offence taken and if your first name is the same as the first part of your user name on Urban Toronto, I don’t have any problem believing you your struggle, as it is a very common first name with an inversion of two letters which most people would "correct" as a typo.

One of my British friends from studying in England still calls me "John", even after sharing an apartment together for two separate years and me inviting him to my wedding. Also, most of the people here in Quebec who see my name before they call or talk to me in person assume that I’m a woman (because it is a woman’s name in French, whereas a famous inventor/printer, astronomer/mathematician and composer all can attest that it is a legit men’s name in German – let’s see who will be able to identify all three namesakes of mine to which I’m referring here [hint: they all lived in different centuries]…).

It’s also amazing how many people I met in England who could perfectly pronounce the name of the largest city in South Africa, yet completely butcher it whenever they are asked to just omit the last syllable (i.e. the only part which is not part of my first name)…

Quote:
Whether you want to help or not, it's up to you. You seem to have a lot of information.
I unfortunately don’t have much time to spare at the moment, as this is turning into a very challenging year at work (and that not just because of the blockades or outside factors affecting the demand for travel and tourism worldwide), but I’ll happily provide my feedback/suggestions/corrections, if invited to do so…

Quote:
If you were to join us, I would ask one thing - leave your bias at the door. We want the facts to speak on their own, but in an organized fashion. So, arguments on what will or will not work must be clearly shown in the facts.
I’m realistic enough to acknowledge that I have my own biases, but I have the suspicion that what you perceive as such are rather my attempts to put myself into the shoes of people who are much more skeptical of passenger rail services than myself and to try to figure out to what kind of arguments they would be more receptive and to which ones less. Any allusions to the primaries of the Democratic party of our Southern neighbors are of course purely unintended, but your ability to gather enough support to succeed is determined by how convincing you are to those which are skeptical to your plans and not to those which are already stoked…

Quote:
My concern is whether your employer has some sort of rule, like a nondisclosure, or conflict of interest. In the military, I had rules that governed what I could and could not do outside of the military. Even now, I still have some restrictions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
I like Urban Sky discussions, but I wonder how the heck he's allowed to talk about work items like that. I for sure can't disclose of any information from work before I get explicit apporoval from the higher management?
Quote:
I like them too. He has lots of information. If I gave that kind of information out as a military member, I would be court marshaled and spend a really long time in a really tiny space.
As is the case with every employee, my freedom of speech ends where I disclose information to which I only have access as an employee. Consequently, I have to make sure that I only post information and manipulate data which is publicly accessible and the best way of ensuring this is to meticulously state my sources. Therefore, I have to ask you: which information/data/documents I shared here or any other forum (in which I am known under the same name as here) would not have been accessible to a member of the general public (like yourself)?

It's of course in the nature of the our respective (in your case: previous) employers that there is much more operative information available about a Crown Corporation providing a very visible service (like passenger rail transportation) than about the Military, but virtually all the information I post here comes from timetables or reports (Annual Reports, Corporate Plans or Sustainable Mobility Reports) which have been published by VIA Rail directly, but if you think there is something I posted which you don’t think a non-employee could have posted, then please post/quote it here and I will dissect to you where I got all the information I used from and how I used it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
No i said it had nothing to do with TC being lazy. Dont put words in my mouth. Theres a reason why TC works closely with the FRA. Both countries systems are fully integrated so why would TC want that to change? Just so we can run European DMUs?
Everyone remotely familiar with the incredible bureaucratic and technical hurdles which still plague cross-border rail transport in Europe (despite decade-long laudable efforts of the European Union to create a unified European rail network), due to the large variety of different and incompatible laws, regulations, rules, voltage, track gauges, loading gauges, platform/boarding heights and train control systems a train traveling across the continent might have to deal with, will acknowledge that regulatory alignment with the FRA has allowed to make cross-border trade by rail much more efficient than in Europe at the mutual benefit of both countries involved.

Quote:
Do you notice it is hFr, not hSr? Those letters do mean something.
As much as HSR freaks like "High Speed Rail Canada" will deny this, the main motivation to build HSR has always been to create the capacity to run additional trains. Only once the need to construct a dedicated infrastructure for the most disruptive train type (i.e. intercity trains) crystallizes as the only feasible way to increase overall train capacity, the focus shifts to the possibility to cut travel times much further by choosing a very straight alignment.

Conversely, HFR attempts to achieve the desired increase in capacity by building dedicated tracks into existing right-of-ways (with minimal modifications to the alignment), in order to reach a travel time which is competitive against driving and taking the bus, yet keeps capital costs at a manageable level. This approach is best described by the previous VIA CEO quoted in this newspaper article:
Quote:
But the head of Canada’s dominant passenger rail service, Via Rail Canada, says high-speed rail is a tremendously expensive proposition, and it makes little sense to invest in it until the serious existing congestion problems on Canadian railways is solved.

“Back in 2012, there was a report published that pegged the cost of high-speed rail between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal at $10 billion, and for $10 billion it would get you 10-million customers,” said Via CEO Yves Desjardins-Siciliano. Simply providing dedicated passenger lines at conventional speed, he said, “will cost $3 billion for seven million (passengers), so it’s a third of the cost for two-thirds of the benefit.
That said, HFR would still provide significant travel time savings, as outlined on VIA’s HFR project page:
Quote:
By running on dedicated tracks, VIA Rail would offer more frequencies while reducing trip times by 25% and improving on-time performance over 95%.

The dedicated tracks would allow VIA Rail to have control over frequencies, speeds, and traffic priorities. For example, trains could travel at speeds of up to 177 kilometres per hour (or 110 miles per hour), reducing travel times from Ottawa to Toronto to as low as 3 hours and 15 minutes from current travel times of approximately 4 hours and 30 minutes.

Quote:
What if the money is there to make it only go 60-70mph, should it not be done? I would argue that we need to start from somewhere to build back up our passenger service throughout Canada.
And that’s where we are back again at the ever-circling argument in which you insist that money should be spend on intercity passenger rail services anywhere in this country regardless of how uncompetitive they would be, whereas myself and other posters here point out that it is preferable to focus it on where it will have the most impact and chance to make this mode of transport more relevant in the public eye, thus growing the demand and eventually also the political will for expanding such services onto the routes where you want to see them…

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 4:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
I don’t expect any participant to be an expert on the subject, but it does help if we don’t have to discuss whether yellow is yellow or bright purple. That said, I certainly appreciate your new, more constructive approach to the discussions here and I'm looking forward to sharing two larger posts on which I have been working over the last few weeks, which both relate to the wonderful world of passenger rail timetabling: one will look at how the services on the CN route would have looked if VIA had been allowed to keep the Canadian on the CP route, whereas the other will look at the challenges and trade-offs when scheduling once-daily or night trains...
I think we all can admit and agree on yellow being yellow.. I feel what we are doing is more trying to ague the name of the shade of yellow. Is it gold, or golden rod?

My attitude has remained the same. I will always want more. I am the kind of person that does not take no for an answer, but as a challenge.

I look forward to that timetable.

Quote:
I admit that VIA’s timetables can be a bit difficult to read, but every PDF timetable file comes with handy explanations like these (found in the System timetable PDF on page 3):

My problem really is that the timetable, especially the ones that are longer than a day really are convoluted.

Lets take this one:
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/fil...-Vancouver.pdf

Look at the Edmonton to Vancouver run. It looks like there is 2 trains on there, but AFAIK there isn't.

Mind you, nothing written by any government agency/department ever really makes sense to anyone but who wrote it. We just accept it and move on.

Quote:
The degree of expertise you already command only determines how much knowledge and understanding you will need to acquire to obtain the level of quality in your research you desire. Your skills and abilities will only influence how much time and efforts that learning process will take…
I know I have a very steep learning curve. That is why I aks for the facts, and the why they are there. Kinda like looking at a fact that there was less deficit on the southern route, yet it got cancelled. I now understand that it is not that simple, nor that logical.

Quote:
No offence taken and if your first name is the same as the first part of your user name on Urban Toronto, I don’t have any problem believing you your struggle, as it is a very common first name with an inversion of two letters which most people would "correct" as a typo.

One of my British friends from studying in England still calls me "John", even after sharing an apartment together for two separate years and me inviting him to my wedding. Also, most of the people here in Quebec who see my name before they call or talk to me in person assume that I’m a woman (because it is a woman’s name in French, whereas a famous inventor/printer, astronomer/mathematician and composer all can attest that it is a legit men’s name in German – let’s see who will be able to identify all three namesakes of mine to which I’m referring here [hint: they all lived in different centuries]…).

It’s also amazing how many people I met in England who could perfectly pronounce the name of the largest city in South Africa, yet completely butcher it whenever they are asked to just omit the last syllable (i.e. the only part which is not part of my first name)…
Yes, that is no typo. Don't get me started on how many government IDs and other documents are wrong.

Makes me think of the Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue".

Quote:
I unfortunately don’t have much time to spare at the moment, as this is turning into a very challenging year at work (and that not just because of the blockades or outside factors affecting the demand for travel and tourism worldwide), but I’ll happily provide my feedback/suggestions/corrections, if invited to do so…
A sounding board is great.

Quote:
I’m realistic enough to acknowledge that I have my own biases, but I have the suspicion that what you perceive as such are rather my attempts to put myself into the shoes of people who are much more skeptical of passenger rail services than myself and to try to figure out to what kind of arguments they would be more receptive and to which ones less. Any allusions to the primaries of the Democratic party of our Southern neighbors are of course purely unintended, but your ability to gather enough support to succeed is determined by how convincing you are to those which are skeptical to your plans and not to those which are already stoked…
It could be argued that saying it will cost a million vs 2 million could sway some of those over. However, then there are the ones that would say if it cannot do over 100mph, it is not worth it.

You cannot please everyone. The goal is to please enough people to get it done. That will be the real challenge.

Quote:
As is the case with every employee, my freedom of speech ends where I disclose information to which I only have access as an employee. Consequently, I have to make sure that I only post information and manipulate data which is publicly accessible and the best way of ensuring this is to meticulously state my sources. Therefore, I have to ask you: which information/data/documents I shared here or any other forum (in which I am known under the same name as here) would not have been accessible to a member of the general public (like yourself)?

It's of course in the nature of the our respective (in your case: previous) employers that there is much more operative information available about a Crown Corporation providing a very visible service (like passenger rail transportation) than about the Military, but virtually all the information I post here comes from timetables or reports (Annual Reports, Corporate Plans or Sustainable Mobility Reports) which have been published by VIA Rail directly, but if you think there is something I posted which you don’t think a non-employee could have posted, then please post/quote it here and I will dissect to you where I got all the information I used from and how I used it!
I am not assuming anything. I bet with enough digging and paperwork, I could get everything you have delivered. I almost wonder what you do there that you can make this much sense of it all.

Quote:
Everyone remotely familiar with the incredible bureaucratic and technical hurdles which still plague cross-border rail transport in Europe (despite decade-long laudable efforts of the European Union to create a unified European rail network), due to the large variety of different and incompatible laws, regulations, rules, voltage, track gauges, loading gauges, platform/boarding heights and train control systems a train traveling across the continent might have to deal with, will acknowledge that regulatory alignment with the FRA has allowed to make cross-border trade by rail much more efficient than in Europe at the mutual benefit of both countries involved.
Some things just make businesses work better, together. Who cares what we measure things in as long as it is consistant.

Quote:
As much as HSR freaks like "High Speed Rail Canada" will deny this, the main motivation to build HSR has always been to create the capacity to run additional trains. Only once the need to construct a dedicated infrastructure for the most disruptive train type (i.e. intercity trains) crystallizes as the only feasible way to increase overall train capacity, the focus shifts to the possibility to cut travel times much further by choosing a very straight alignment.

Conversely, HFR attempts to achieve the desired increase in capacity by building dedicated tracks into existing right-of-ways (with minimal modifications to the alignment), in order to reach a travel time which is competitive against driving and taking the bus, yet keeps capital costs at a manageable level. This approach is best described by the previous VIA CEO quoted in this newspaper article:

That said, HFR would still provide significant travel time savings, as outlined on VIA’s HFR project page:
It is interesting, Via likes incremental, but positive changes. No one is going to beat an airplane from gate to gate. The only way to do that is true HSR. That likely won't happen for a while, if ever. However, getting the train to travel faster, and have less delays will get the train closer to that of a plane.

And that brings us to
||
||
\/

Quote:
And that’s where we are back again at the ever-circling argument in which you insist that money should be spend on intercity passenger rail services anywhere in this country regardless of how uncompetitive they would be, whereas myself and other posters here point out that it is preferable to focus it on where it will have the most impact and chance to make this mode of transport more relevant in the public eye, thus growing the demand and eventually also the political will for expanding such services onto the routes where you want to see them…
Via seems to love doing incremental improvements. If they didn't we would have HSR. But for a variety of reasons, we have improvements, but not drastic ones.

So, my goal would be to figure out how much of an improvement is enough. Maybe a train that travels 60mph is enough. Maybe it is 90mph. Or, maybe it is simply not going to be competitive regardless of service.

Maybe 2 trains bouncing back and forth all day is enough frequency. Maybe it needs to be every 15 minutes, or maybe It won't matter as there is no way to get reasonable frequency.

The Conservatives could have defeated this government. They didn't.

The one thing the other parties all have in common is a desire to cut emissions. One feel good way is passenger rail.

My goal is to make it actually meaningful. Which means full trains, going as fast as we can, as often as we can. What that looks like is a work in progress.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 5:38 AM

Quote:
My goal is to make it actually meaningful. Which means full trains, going as fast as we can, as often as we can. What that looks like is a work in progress.
We all want that - it's just a we all need to be realistic about what things cost and what the federal government is likely to give.

With rail projects, it is often seems to be the case that you need to spend a lot of capital cost to make the business case worth it. But once you cross that threshold, spending incrementally more can give major benefits.

This is why the UK is spending so much money on HSR (HS2). They tried incremental improvements on existing lines and ended up spending way more money than they wanted for worse results than expected (the WCML upgrade). Eventually they realised that didn't work and that they needed to properly build new infrastructure to provide capacity, so HS2 was borne. While it is mainly a project to build capacity, they found that spending money on increasing line speed generated much more revenue than the cost, so it was worth spending money to make the line really fast. So even though their HS2 project is insanely expensive, it's worth it. Luckily Canada does not need to spend that much money.

This is kinda analogous to VIA HFR. The step change in service is probably similar going from UK WCML --> HS2 as it is from existing Corridor --> HFR corridor. You need to spend a lot of money to get up to that base level of decent service quality, but once VIA has HFR they should be able to get really good value from any upgrades they make.

Also, it's probably similar to GO in Toronto. For a while, GO seems to have provided pretty lame service (compared to real rail like seen in Europe), but managed to eventually eke out enough ridership and gain funding to start putting in upgrades where they could get the most value. They found those high value upgrades, and ridership increased to the point where now investing in GO is a no-brainer for Ontario and they can start to turn it into a proper commuter rail system Toronto can be proud of. I hope HFR can do the same for VIA, and as long as the federal government funds it I am confident it will.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 5:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
We all want that - it's just a we all need to be realistic about what things cost and what the federal government is likely to give.

With rail projects, it is often seems to be the case that you need to spend a lot of capital cost to make the business case worth it. But once you cross that threshold, spending incrementally more can give major benefits.

This is why the UK is spending so much money on HSR (HS2). They tried incremental improvements on existing lines and ended up spending way more money than they wanted for worse results than expected (the WCML upgrade). Eventually they realised that didn't work and that they needed to properly build new infrastructure to provide capacity, so HS2 was borne. While it is mainly a project to build capacity, they found that spending money on increasing line speed generated much more revenue than the cost, so it was worth spending money to make the line really fast. So even though their HS2 project is insanely expensive, it's worth it. Luckily Canada does not need to spend that much money.

This is kinda analogous to VIA HFR. The step change in service is probably similar going from UK WCML --> HS2 as it is from existing Corridor --> HFR corridor. You need to spend a lot of money to get up to that base level of decent service quality, but once VIA has HFR they should be able to get really good value from any upgrades they make.

Also, it's probably similar to GO in Toronto. For a while, GO seems to have provided pretty lame service (compared to real rail like seen in Europe), but managed to eventually eke out enough ridership and gain funding to start putting in upgrades where they could get the most value. They found those high value upgrades, and ridership increased to the point where now investing in GO is a no-brainer for Ontario and they can start to turn it into a proper commuter rail system Toronto can be proud of. I hope HFR can do the same for VIA, and as long as the federal government funds it I am confident it will.
Which is why the argument of HSR or even speeds approaching Corridor service must be achieved on opening day. We aren't the UK. We aren't Europe.

I am willing to bet that if passenger rail ever returns to the Chinook line it will not be HSR. I doubt it will even be HFR. But, I'll bet that it will grow like GO has to the point that decades from now, we will laugh about it was argued what should be there.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 5:51 AM

Maybe Onex should get involved with rail between Calgary and Edmonton, since, done correctly, it would have serious effects on their airline anyway.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Which is why the argument of HSR or even speeds approaching Corridor service must be achieved on opening day. We aren't the UK. We aren't Europe.

I am willing to bet that if passenger rail ever returns to the Chinook line it will not be HSR. I doubt it will even be HFR. But, I'll bet that it will grow like GO has to the point that decades from now, we will laugh about it was argued what should be there.
And that is why VIA is going with HFR. There have been many failed attempts to get HSR in Canada. And even though it probably has a perfectly valid business case, it cannot get political traction. So VIA is trying to ride a very fine line of asking for quite a lot of money, but not so much that it seems extravagant. HFR is the bare minimum VIA needs to ask for to get a good service, and hopefully once it's committed everything else is easier.

If I, or you, or Urban Sky, or probably anyone who has contributed to this thread was king of Canada we would likely sign off on an HSR line between Toronto and Montreal on the first day. They are big cities close together - both Toronto and Montreal would be huge cities in a European context. But for whatever reason, the powers that be do not want to fund HSR, so a cheaper solution must be sought.

Once Canadians see what good rail actually looks like (as they are probably beginning to see as GO reaches its escape velocity), they might be more receptive to funding VIA. But if VIA is just a money pit serving rural towns you have never heard of, they won't be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada