HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:20 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

It would be a landmark, which is useful when having people coming to visit so you can give them directions more easily.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
The area is suburb hell, but that’s no reason to keep it that way.
A tad harsh? I grew up near West 5th and Stone Church, went to school at STM. that part of the mountain isn't downtown Toronto in terms of city excitement, but it's an established community that is home to a lot of growing families and doesn't really seem like 'hell' to me.

Not every neighbourhood needs to be downtown to be pleasant.

Quote:
I don’t understand the economics of it, and would not have guessed that that kind of height is necessary in the middle of nowhere, but if the developer sees demand, that’s good.
Where is there any indication that there's demand for such a thing at this location? There is lots of proof that there's demand for houses and town houses, but a condo? I see a developer who owns a small parcel of land and figures they can make more money building a condo than a few detached or semi-detached homes.

I'm not against them doing that to make money by the way, but is it any different than the people downtown who choose to keep parking lots instead of building something...it's just a reverse situation.

Quote:
14 stories is tall, but it’s not that tall. It’s not tall enough to disrupt flight plans of an airport that is seven kilometres away; not tall enough to shade properties hundreds of meters away. It’s a good mid-rise height for a building (maybe a tall mid-rise), which seems appropriate for the intersection of two important roadways.
It's WAY taller than anything else nearby. The flight path thing is a joke of an excuse, but the rest of the concerns have merit.

Quote:
NIMBYs really just don’t want any risk of poor people living nearby, and poor people are to their mind the only types interested in living in dense non-car-dependent neighbourhoods.
This will no doubt be an unpopular opinion, but why is it bad that residents who have paid good money for their property are concerned about a random, relatively large building that could lower their property values? The fact is, the proposal is pretty out of place for up there. I'd be concerned too.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 4:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yea, I'm a West Mount resident and I love my hood.

PS - I hope they start naming these wards instead of numbering them. Ward 8 should be West Mount.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
Where is there any indication that there's demand for such a thing at this location? There is lots of proof that there's demand for houses and town houses, but a condo? I see a developer who owns a small parcel of land and figures they can make more money building a condo than a few detached or semi-detached homes.
If the developer is going to make money then it means there is a (perceived) demand. The two are 100% related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
I'm not against them doing that to make money by the way, but is it any different than the people downtown who choose to keep parking lots instead of building something...it's just a reverse situation.
Yes it's much different. Hundreds of residential units, and the property taxes generated, plus the benefit of having more people in the city versus the lowest common denominator land use: surface parking. If you don't see the difference then I'm afraid you don't understand the economies of cities!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
If the developer is going to make money then it means there is a (perceived) demand. The two are 100% related.
Are they? Or are they making lemonade out of shitty lemons? The area they're building on is very small. If they went straight commercial, they'll be at a disadvantage versus the big box stores up the street. If they built houses, they can't build very many. Same with town houses.

Quote:
Yes it's much different. Hundreds of residential units, and the property taxes generated, plus the benefit of having more people in the city versus the lowest common denominator land use: surface parking. If you don't see the difference then I'm afraid you don't understand the economies of cities!
To quote- if the owner of the parking lot is going to make money with a parking lot, then it means there is a (perceived) demand.

I think the concerns of the current residents are being thrown to the side in this thread for no reason because of the histrionics of a couple of people who sent in stupid letters.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:15 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Most suburbs have a few highrises tossed about. This isn't anything bizarre.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:26 PM

this is why places like Burlington and Oakville have increasingly expanded and created great reputations for themselves .... there are condos popping up everywhere in suburban neighborhoods.... this is what young professionals and even retired business people want ... low maintenance combined with great neighborhoods equals successful people moving in and spending money

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 11:07 PM

It's hard to take the concerns seriously when people are complaining that their satellite reception might be affected.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 11:32 PM

Fizzle, I called it "suburb hell" because you had called it "subdivision heaven."

The developer has sensed that he can sell these units; they will bring many new residents to the area, and they will contribute to the neighbourhood. The building itself is not exceedingly tall, the built environment that has been permitted thus far is too-universally low-rise.

There are a lot of good reasons that we decide that some uses are permitted in some places, and some developments are for whatever reason not suited to a specific area. Confining people we think are undesireable to certain areas should not be one of them. I'm not saying I acknowledge that this development in particular will attract lower-income people, because I don't think that's true, but I don't think anyone should have the right to prevent "the poor" from becoming their neighbours in order to preserve the value of their own properties. We know that neighbourhoods that are diverse are vibrant and liveable. Besides that, it's just wrong to pursue neighbourhoods with qualities we want, and then try to deny the ability to live in those neighbourhoods to others.

For a variety of reasons, I feel strongly about this point, and I say again that most of these residents' concerns can be easily interpreted as their desire to keep undesireable elements away from them, where they don't have to see them or interact with them.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 6:54 PM

Majestic Condos | ? | 9 fl | Proposed

"A carefree condo lifestyle that you have always dreamed of.

Located at Garth Street & Rymal Rd West, the Majestic is a commuters dream, nearing all major highways in Hamilton. After a busy day come home to beautiful meadowlands with lush green spaces, friendly parks, while enjoying big city amenities just minutes away. Have it all at the Majestic.."

http://www.valeryhomes.com/majestic/

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/majestic-condos

THIS IS NASTY LOOKING

Last edited by davidcappi; Jan 23, 2017 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 8:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

Figured something was happening to the site, been seeing a lot of activity in the area lately. I think they are getting prepared for a presentation centre. They've been clearing the area and Rymal from Garth to Upper Paradise is finally getting repaired, new water lines, new sidewalks and roads.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 8:53 PM

Damn, thats beautiful ! Omg Im speechless..

/e look at those stone wall claddings on the left facing rymal, perfect design!

Last edited by Rg2016; Jan 23, 2017 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 10:14 PM

One MAJOR problem though!!

No retail ???

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 10:16 PM

source

valeryhomes.com/majestic
buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/majestic-condos

This thread needs a name update from 1670 Garth St | ? | 14 fl | Proposal to Majestic Condos | ? | 2 x 10 fl | Proposed

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 10:16 PM

There's already a thread for this ---> 1670 Garth St | ? | 14 fl | Proposal

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 10:20 PM

No retail? That corner is like a major intersection, speckally with the theme park coming..

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 12:41 AM

Any retail would have to be drive-thru.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 2:01 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
"A carefree condo lifestyle that you have always dreamed of.

Located at Garth Street & Rymal Rd West, the Majestic is a commuters dream, nearing all major highways in Hamilton. After a busy day come home to beautiful meadowlands with lush green spaces, friendly parks, while enjoying big city amenities just minutes away. Have it all at the Majestic.."

http://www.valeryhomes.com/majestic/

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/majestic-condos

THIS IS NASTY LOOKING
personally I rather like it - i say if you are going to have that much glass go big or go home!

I've always liked buildings that mirror each other though - looks more elegant somehow

also buzzbuzzhome says this is on huntley st? That puts it downtown - which is it? Up on the mountain or downtown?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
also buzzbuzzhome says this is on huntley st? That puts it downtown - which is it? Up on the mountain or downtown?
It's on the mountain, buzzbuzzhome has it labelled wrong.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 2:36 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
It's on the mountain, buzzbuzzhome has it labelled wrong.
good to know - thanks for the clarification! I just ask because I work for source cable (now owned by rogers) and thus this new condo is part of my territory I look after so we will probably have to provide it with cable services.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton