HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
Impressive if achievable. Costs under $700/month is really hard in the GTA; property taxes alone on a $750k condo would be $300/month.

Maintenance fees here have crept up to 70 cents/sqft for modern buildings (concierge/guard, pool, workout facilities, etc.); which would be around $300/month on a 400sqft bachelor pad.
Toronto has to follow depreciation reports I believe. I didn't seek an exact number on my $300/month estimate, could easily be $400-500.
An $1600/month for a $750,000 place is low, rents are usually $2500-$3000.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:49 PM
BANNED

Here's how Toronto is looking, inventory reducing sales increasing.

https://twitter.com/areacode416/stat...48150757384192

--------------------------------------------------------------

Evan Siddall, CMHC President and CEO answers questions. As Pierre points out he's one of the rare people who provides straight answers. Evan is quite optimistic and says "loss forecasts are not extreme".

Video Link

Last edited by misher; May 26, 2020 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Here's how Toronto is looking, inventory reducing sales increasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
We can't conclude anything from a market "heating up" after covid restrictions start to get lifted, as clearly there will be pent up demand.
I guess it's the last time I'm talking to this particular brick wall, so that's that.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 6:03 PM

CMHC housing forecast:

CMHC says housing prices won't have fully recovered by end of 2022
BY PAUL JAMES AND THE CANADIAN PRESS
Posted May 27, 2020

OTTAWA — Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. says it expects home prices and sales to decline substantially this year and still won’t have recovered by the end of 2022.

The federal housing agency says in a special housing market outlook that it expects home prices to decline between nine and 18 per cent, and as much as 25 per cent in oil-producing regions, before starting to recover by mid-2021.

The report also predicts average home prices in B.C. could drop close to $100,000 this year.

It says the drop in home prices will come along with a “historic recession” this year as the economic shock of COVID-19, including a plunge in oil prices, hits the market.

CMHC says home sales could decline by 19 to 29 per cent from pre-COVID levels before starting to recover late this year....

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/05...y-end-of-2022/

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
CMHC housing forecast:

CMHC says housing prices won't have fully recovered by end of 2022
But now who will post something from a realtor’s twitter feed as refutation?

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
But now who will post something from a realtor’s twitter feed as refutation?
I'm not sure I believe CMHC either. Anybody making predictions about RE or the economy over the next 2 years is taking a wild guess.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm not sure I believe CMHC either. Anybody making predictions about RE or the economy over the next 2 years is taking a wild guess.
True, I don’t mind predictions as long as their made in good faith, without propaganda, and taken with a grain of salt.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:41 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
True, I don’t mind predictions as long as their made in good faith, without propaganda, and taken with a grain of salt.
I've got my Scientology membership card (thetan clearing section III), my collection of Sino-Soviet Gay Vacation posters and thirty-seven pallets of Memories of Sicilia Sea Salt that I'm having trouble unloading on Amazon. So I hope you won't mind me making a prediction about real estate in Canada?

My prediction: it's too hard to predict.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:04 AM
Hello World

I am ok with predictions too as long as it is made in good faith. Lots of data out there that can be used to interpret things and sometimes that can be a glass half full or half empty. Look at this thread... started on Jun 30, 2011. If you had bought a place in one of those hot Canadian markets (Vancouver and Toronto) on that date. You'd be laughing all the way to the bank now.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
I am ok with predictions too as long as it is made in good faith. Lots of data out there that can be used to interpret things and sometimes that can be a glass half full or half empty. Look at this thread... started on Jun 30, 2011. If you had bought a place in one of those hot Canadian markets (Vancouver and Toronto) on that date. You'd be laughing all the way to the bank now.
Yep I have no problem with good faith projections. Show some data, give a few reasons and make some educated guesses.

The source is always important. My RE agent says it's always a good time to buy or sell.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 12:14 PM
Ontario's finest Brayon

Quote:
Yeah, people got so fed up with the lock-down that people are selling to get a house. Three in my building alone.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
My prediction: it's too hard to predict.
Totally agree. If markets were easy to predict then we would never have booms and busts, but even those most invested in markets (of all types), who have the most incentive to get it right, very often get it wrong.

My, likely wrong, prediction is that while there might be some price declines we won't see a return to affordability in the expensive cities. The fundamentals won't change, there are too many people for not enough housing. Unless unemployment stays at 20%, which I don't think it will and if it does that's a bigger problem than the house prices.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Yep I have no problem with good faith projections. Show some data, give a few reasons and make some educated guesses.

The source is always important. My RE agent says it's always a good time to buy or sell.
Given the huge loan loss provisions the big banks are taking, the indications are they expect it to get ugly.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
Yeah, people got so fed up with the lock-down that people are selling to get a house. Three in my building alone.
What a ridiculously rash decision for a short term issue.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Given the huge loan loss provisions the big banks are taking, the indications are they expect it to get ugly.
Yep, Canada will get hit like the US did in 2008-09. The rich will scoop up properties for pennies on the dollar and wealth disparity will increase.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
CMHC securitizes the mortgages for the banks. I'd say they do have some insight. They didn't given an exact number. Just a range.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:41 PM
Ontario's finest Brayon

Quote:
It's not a short term issue. Employers now see teleworking as a viable option. No need to stay in the city in a cramped condo anymore.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
After a couple of months of lockdown, it isn't surprising that some people reached a breaking point... especially those who were thinking about buying anyway.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
It's not a short term issue. Employers now see teleworking as a viable option. No need to stay in the city in a cramped condo anymore.
Do they? The future will tell us, but I wouldn't make any huge life decisions (like buying and selling RE) at this time.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 5:48 PM
Ontario's finest Brayon

Quote:
Do they? The future will tell us, but I wouldn't make any huge life decisions (like buying and selling RE) at this time.
Well I did, my condo is for sale! We got a letter from the union stating we can telework 3 days a week when this is all over. My employer wants to put it all-day week for those who want and can. It was already planned because of the REM impact but COVID hasten the decision.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada