HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Why the concern with saving the building? I have been there many times and I have always found the general flow awkward. More importantly, most of it was designed before anyone thought that barrier free access would be a concept. While accommodations have been made, they aren't always what one would plan from new.
In my opinion, 100% yes it's worth saving. I'm not a member anymore, although I should be. I love the AGH. I love the building. The programing. I enjoy getting lost and losing track of time wandering through the gallery. I don't believe it needs to be rebuilt. If there is an opportunity to expand on it then by all means, I would support that. I'm just not a fan of re-doing things every generation. I like the Ellen Fairclough building only because it adds an extra texture to the skyline from a distance. I wouldn't be sad to see it replaced with something tall and exceptional that animates King street which at this point is a disaster.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Hamilton’s duelling arena proposals: Council wants developers to sharpen their pencils
City staff favoured Vrancor but council opts to keep venue process competitive

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-stor...their-pencils/

Up to 120 days.

That's how much time two local business groups competing to redevelop Hamilton's city-owned downtown sports and entertainment venues have been given to sharpen their pencils.

According to sources, councillors have directed city staff to negotiate the best deal possible with the groups and then recommend a preferred proponent to undertake a multimillion revamping of the aging arena, convention centre and concert hall — all without tapping local tax dollars.

After emerging from a closed-door meeting Wednesday night, councillors voted to keep a staff report on the duelling redevelopment proposals confidential.

But The Spectator has learned that staff formally recommended that the city sign a memorandum of understanding with Vrancor Inc., owned by developer Darko Vranich.

However, instead of following staff advice, councillors opted to keep the competitive process alive by continuing to engage with Vrancor and rival proponent Hamilton Urban Precinct Arts and Entertainment Group — but for no more than 120 days.

A third proposal by a consortium led by Ancaster-based Pearle Hospitality was reportedly considered insufficiently advanced to proceed.

Be that as it may, staff's hip checked recommendation to negotiate a memorandum of understanding with Vrancor is hardly surprising, at least based on presentations of the competing plans that took place earlier that day.

Vrancor and Urban Precinct Group — consisting of Carmen's Group, LIUNA Pension Fund, Fengate Capital, Paletta International, Jetport Inc., and Meridian Credit Union — have both submitted confidential term sheets to the city containing financial information and conditions which haven't been made divulged.

But while publicly showcasing Vrancor's $200-million plans, project adviser Mario Frankovich was sharply focused. He highlighted the company's readiness, asserted its ability to deliver a revitalized arena in 12 to 14 months and, perhaps most significantly, promised an end to taxpayer subsidies with no impact on the tax levy.

By contrast, PJ Mercanti and Jasper Kujavsky, speaking on behalf of Urban Precinct Group's $500-million plan, spent too much time talking about the load-bearing capacity of the arena roof and theoretical high rises.

In an interview, Kujavsky defended his consortium as a "solid group of investors" who have the necessary "capital ready to deploy." But that message wasn't clear enough in front of the cameras. It also didn't help that Urban Precinct is looking to the federal and provincial governments for funding help.

In broad strokes, Vrancor and Urban Precinct are both proposing to transform the arena into a modern venue that can be curtained off to host 8,000-seat events and expanded to its full 17,000-seat capacity when needed. Vrancor, however, is also talking about attaching two six-storey Grade A office towers to the facility.

Both groups are proposing relatively modest upgrades to the 2,200-seat concert hall. But they have radically different visions for the convention centre. Vrancor proposes to double its capacity at its current location by going out over Summers Lane, as well as building a supporting hotel nearby.

Urban Precinct wants to build a new convention centre at the site of a redeveloped City Centre (formerly Eaton's Centre) and use the existing location for a mixed-use tower, which could possibly include the Art Gallery of Hamilton.

For its part, Urban Precinct says it's prepared to explore various investment models to get the city out of the entertainment and hospitality business and eliminate or reduce its operating and capital costs at the facilities.

Vrancor, on the other hand, is more explicit. It proposes to fund the arena and concert hall renovations and operate them while leaving the ownership in city hands. It does, however, want to buy the convention centre, as well as pay for its revitalization. Obviously, that's where Vranich sees the return on his investment.

Meanwhile, word that Michael Andlauer is talking to Burlington about a new arena and moving the Hamilton Bulldogs there has added greater urgency to the discussions. As the anchor tenant at FirstOntario Centre, the Bulldogs are key to any revitalizations plans.

But Andlauer is tired of waiting for an arena fix and disgusted with the way his proposal for a new arena at Lime Ridge Mall was dismissed by council. He says he recently spoke to Vrancor, Urban Precinct and Pearle Hospitality. But in the end, he sees all their plans as "conceptual and speculative."

Andlauer says he'll continue to look at Burlington while remaining open to staying in Hamilton. But he wants to see "concrete timelines" and needs to consider the best interests of Bulldogs' fans.
Every day is like Tuesday .... what is the countdown on this decision. Trust the teams are creatively working away for for an early June reveal (perhaps to a vitrual meeting room via webex or zoom)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 6:40 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I just hope whatever one wins keeps the Bulldogs and Andeluer happy. Has the most high rise dense development. I never heard about Pearle's proposal.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 11:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Deal for Hamilton’s entertainment venues expected Friday

Teviah Moro
Spectator Reporter
https://www.thespec.com/news/council...ed-friday.html

City council is expected to announce the successful proponent of a multimillion-dollar revamp of Hamilton’s entertainment venues on Friday.

Two groups made public pitches in February to refurbish and operate the downtown arena, convention centre and concert hall.

Behind closed doors, council told economic development staff to keep working with the Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group and Vrancor Group on their proposals.

Confidential negotiations have continued and an announcement is expected Friday.

“It’s pretty awesome,” Coun. John-Paul Danko said about deal without offering details. “It’s a big deal.”

Coun. Jason Farr said to expect a statement from Mayor Fred Eisenberger on Friday.

Springing from a motion by Coun. Sam Merulla in 2018, the city’s goal is to have a private-sector investor redevelop the three aging venues owned by the city in order to generate more property tax revenue and end public subsidies to support them.

Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group includes the Mercanti family’s Carmen’s Group, LIUNA Pension Fund, Fengate Capital, Meridian Credit Union, Jetport Inc. and Paletta International.

They’ve proposed a $500-million plan to equip FirstOntario Centre with expandable seating, building a new convention centre at the location of a renovated City Centre, a mixed-use tower where the existing convention centre sits and an enhanced concert hall.

Carmen’s Group operates the convention centre on behalf of the city.

Vrancor’s proposal — which it has cited as a minimum $200-million investment — is for a renovated and expandable arena with two office towers, a new hotel, a larger convention centre at the existing site and an upgraded concert hall.

Vrancor Group is owned by Darko Vranich, one of Hamilton’s biggest developers of hotels and apartment buildings in recent years.

Representatives of the competing bidders didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment Wednesday.

On July 6, councillors met in camera for an update on the talks and voted publicly to instruct staff to declare the properties surplus to unload them through sale, lease or easement.

As well, staff were told to firm up a memorandum of understanding and other agreements. There was no public mention of the winning proponent. Related documents and reports weren’t released.

On Friday, councillors are expected to sign off on the final details.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 12:14 AM

Wonder how the one bid using the City centre as the new convention centre would work with the current owners just releasing drawings of their condo proposal.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Wonder how the one bid using the City centre as the new convention centre would work with the current owners just releasing drawings of their condo proposal.
So Vrancor won?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 4:14 AM

The rendering for the City Centre looked preliminary to me, it'll likely not look like that. Plus I don't think a moved convention centre will take up the whole lot, just a portion.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:49 AM

big reveal tomorrow - any details on when/time of day council is meeting to announce

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 12:55 PM

I hope Carmens Group wins the bid. With Vrancor we all know the development will be underwhelming.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
I hope Carmens Group wins the bid. With Vrancor we all know the development will be underwhelming.
When has Carmens developed anything worth celebrating?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group wins.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:56 PM

Good. Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group definitely had the better proposal. I personally like their arena design a lot better than the Vrancor one.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

Plus their project is worth $500 million vs. $200 million from Vrancor.

Later today, probably this afternoon the Mayor will release more information. This will change the plans for the City Centre (this is where they want to put the convention centre, I'm guessing along York Blvd).

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Precinct Group proposes to invest $50m in renovations to FirstOntario Centre, $16m in upgrades to FirstOnt Concert Hall, convention centre, and $340.5m mixed use development that will include affordable housing.

https://twitter.com/WerkHCN

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

City selects $500M plan for Hamilton's downtown entertainment facilities
The winning proposal suggests huge changes to the facilities and 3 high-rise buildings

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...osal-1.5653371

The winning proposal of the multi-million dollar renovation to Hamilton's downtown entertainment facilities proposes massive changes to FirstOntario Centre, FirstOntario Concert Hall and the Hamilton Convention Centre, as well as a series of high-rises.

The bidder, Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group (HUPEG) — which includes Carmen's Group, LiUNA, Fengate Capital, Meridian Credit Union, Paletta International and Jetport Inc. — offered a $500-million pitch.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger made the highly anticipated announcement during Friday's city council meeting, saying that the group had come out "on top."

"I think it's going to be a great opportunity for a transformational upgrades to our facilities" he said, calling the investment "historic."

More details will come when the master agreement is finalized, but here are some of the plans suggested so far:

HUPEG originally proposed keeping FirstOntario's seating capacity, and suggested relocating the convention centre to a part of Hamilton City Centre.

Three high-rises downtown would include the Art Gallery of Hamilton, the convention centre, condos and commercial space. Two more towers are possible at the corner of Bay Street and King Street East.

The other option considered was a $200-million plan by Vrancor Group, a prolific Hamilton development company owned by Darko Vranich. Among its changes, the project proposed limiting the arena's capacity to around 15,400 seats, with the possibility to expand to 17,000 if needed.

"The numbers showed that the precinct group was the better proposal, better bid and that's the direction we're moving forward on," Eisenberger said, and added that he think the announcement will get a positive reaction from Hamilton Bulldogs owner, Michael Andlauer.

More to come.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Council selects Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group L.P to revitalize Hamilton’s entertainment district
JULY 17 2020
https://www.hamilton.ca/government-i...urban-precinct

HAMILTON, ON – Today, in a historic decision, Hamilton City Council announced that the City will move forward with the development plan from Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group L.P. (known as ‘the Precinct Group’) to deliver entertainment, culture, and renewed vitality to Hamilton’s downtown core. The Precinct Group’s plan includes a modernized arena, a newly renovated convention centre and concert hall, significant investment in the Art Gallery of Hamilton, as well as new residential, affordable housing, office and retail space development.

Today’s announcement signals an important first step in the development process. Next steps include negotiations between the City and the Precinct Group to create a “Master Agreement”, which is expected to be finalized in late 2020. The completion of this “Master Agreement” would see arena renovations beginning in the Fall of 2021.

In addition to taking on all capital costs for the renewal of the City’s entertainment facilities, under the plan approved by Council today, the Precinct Group would take over responsibility for the operations and maintenance of the FirstOntario Centre and the FirstOntario Concert Hall for a period of 99 years and of the Hamilton Convention Centre indefinitely, without any monetary contribution from the City. In a 2019 study completed by Ernst and Young, the elimination of the City’s ongoing subsidization and capital commitments at its entertainment assets would provide Hamilton taxpayers with $155M in savings over the next 30 years. The City’s contribution to this initiative involves City owned lands in the downtown core and deferrals of a portion of any additional property taxes resulting from the new developments.

The Precinct Group’s proposed $50M renovation of FirstOntario Centre includes a new building exterior, comprehensive transformation of the lower bowl, expanded concourse level, and a new flexible and attractive curtaining system for the upper bowl balcony. Fans will have access to premium amenities like a microbrewery, suites, and hospitality clubs. Fans will also have year-round access to the experience through street-level hospitality activations on York Blvd. and Bay Street. The management of the transformed arena will pursue global partnerships to supply top touring artists and live events in the facility. The Precinct Group looks forward to the continued partnership with the Hamilton Bulldogs as the arena's anchor tenant.

In addition to the comprehensive arena transformation, the Precinct Group’s plan also includes over $16M in capital upgrades to the existing Hamilton Convention Centre, FirstOntario Concert Hall, and Art Gallery of Hamilton. As well, an estimated $340.5M in auxiliary mixed-use development, including affordable housing, will be part of any residential developments that stem from this initiative.

The City of Hamilton would like to thank Darko Vranich and his Vrancor Group team for their continued investment in the Hamilton community. While their proposal was not ultimately selected, Vrancor Group invested significant time and effort into this process. The City commends Vrancor Group for their vision, professionalism and passion for our city, and looks forward to more opportunities to work together as part of Hamilton’s transformation story.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 3:51 PM
Hamilton Historian

FINALLY!

This is going to be some major transformation to this area - much needed!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:28 PM

Is anybody else skeptical that $50M is enough to get what those renderings are showing?

Completely redoing the exterior, eliminating the bank of stairs on Bay Street, new scoreboard, new suites, looks like new vomitories leading to a new concourse, below the existing concourse, new curtain system, new club, microbrewry. I'm assuming replacement of original upper level seats and ice making plant which is close to failure.

I don't think $50M is enough? Maybe I'm wrong.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 5:11 PM

$50 million isn't an insubstantial amount of money. That's about how much a ~20 storey apartment building costs to build.

I'm interested to see the rest of the plans beyond the arena.

Specifically what they are doing with the convention centre now that they can't move it to City Centre, which is owned by IN8.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton