HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 6:34 PM

^^ Stay classy...

Survey Says... $302.55

DIA (DEN) is listed as having the 7th cheapest average airfares according to well-known FinanceBuzz.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:28 PM

This is pretty sad....

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/07/...yclist-killed/

I really hope this makes the NIMBY asshole f$cktards who were trying to petition against a bike lane reconsider their positions.....

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:45 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
This is pretty sad....

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/07/...yclist-killed/

I really hope this makes the NIMBY asshole f$cktards who were trying to petition against a bike lane reconsider their positions.....
Keep hoping:

Another Bicyclist Dead and Bike Opponents Still Reject Marion Safety Upgrades

Quote:
The fatality happened where East Bayaud Avenue meets South Marion Street Parkway. It is the far end of Marion Street, a historic parkway where the city is planning safety improvements to the existing bike lane. But a group of neighbors are fighting to stop the upgrades and their organizer, Patsy Brown, says yesterday’s death hasn’t changed her mind.

“All I care about is preserving the beauty of the parkway,” she said about the leafy street with a grassy median where she lives. “These small oases of design beauty are going to become more and more rare and it seems imperative to protect them.”

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:00 PM

I read the Parkway Design Guidelines fairly carefully, and I didn't see anything in there that would preclude the changes being talked about. Moving the white stripes on the asphalt certainly isn't going to harm any of the "leafy green" features of the street. Without moving curb and gutter, it's hard to grasp how the movement of the location of parked cars and bike lanes has ANYTHING to do with the historic guidelines.

Kyle Clark called out these so-called "historic concerns" yesterday evening on Next. He correctly observes that the resident complains have nothing to do with history - they are arguing in favor of the status quo. I was encouraged though, because the responding comments on Next's Facebook post (HIGHLY scientific of course) have been overwhelmingly positive. I wouldn't get too discouraged by this small group of highly vocal old fogies.

I mean just look at how these protected bike lanes RUIN the beautiful leafy green trees on these streets in Rotterdam. Who in their right mind would want this in their city?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
And bike advocates, who have welcomed plastic posts for past bike lane projects, think they’re unattractive, ineffective and don’t want them there, either.

“So far, Denver’s default protected bike lane is white [plastic] bollards,” says van Heuven. “Bicyclists don’t like them. They’re just ugly.” “There’s an element of the bike community asking, ‘Why can’t we have nice things? Why are you always doing the cheapest things, which are the plastic bollards?’”
Since no one, including bike enthusiasts like plastic bollards, I don't know what the answer is? Searching the internet for ideas nothing jumped out as "that's it."

Denver7 has the best account of what happened.
Since this happened at an intersection "protected" lanes wouldn't have helped. It was mentioned that a number of accidents have occurred over time along this road; my guess is that most have been at an intersection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
I mean just look at how these protected bike lanes RUIN the beautiful leafy green trees on these streets in Rotterdam. Who in their right mind would want this in their city?
Oh, I'd love an off-road solution but assumed that wasn't an option?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Since no one, including bike enthusiasts like plastic bollards, I don't know what the answer is? Searching the internet for ideas nothing jumped out as "that's it."

Denver7 has the best account of what happened.
Since this happened at an intersection "protected" lanes wouldn't have helped.
Really?....... I disagree. Someone who drives down a road without a protected bike lane is going to be much less likely to be aware of a bicyclist because.... there's nothing there to alert the drive of that possibility, except actually seeing the person. If a protected bike lane is there, they KNOW they need to stay off that area because it's designated for bicyclists. To say otherwise I think is a little naive....

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 7:54 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Claymores come to mind. Nothing like shredding a vehicle with an anti-personnel munition to put drivers on notice. We don't need to go crazy and go with anti-material munitions.

I'd also be in favor of a similar deterrent to enforce rideshare pickup zones.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'd love an off-road solution but assumed that wasn't an option?
Well... I was speaking a bit in hyperbole and making a case about the historic aesthetics. As far as I know, off-street solutions are indeed not an option at this point. As I said, the curb and gutter are not slated to be moved (hence why it doesn't violate the historic parkway design in any way, shape, or form).

But on that point, the Dutch didn't install their off-street solutions overnight either. It takes a policy change followed by DECADES of gradual improvements to do that (because moving curb and gutter is really expensive). The Dutch also threw a lot more money at the problem, and as such probably moved a lot faster towards their current network than we can expect to. When it comes to parking protected lanes, I don't think there's any reason they couldn't live for a good long time with painted buffers before someday being upgraded into something like this when the concrete eventually deteriorates and needs to be replaced (as it always does - eventually).

When it comes to plastic bollards, I still do not understand why they are needed - particularly when using a parking protected solution. Bumper blocks, on the other hand, are absolutely needed until the buffer can eventually be rebuilt with a permanently raised buffer. The parking protected lane on 14th Street is working great these days with no plastic bollards, and started working better once bumper blocks were installed to prevent parked cars from pulling all the way into the bike lane. I haven't seen any cars blocking the Wynkoop Street lane either since the bumper blocks were installed (also no plastic bollards).

Last edited by mr1138; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 8:25 PM

Oh yeah... there are definitely other interim solutions than just bumper blocks too, though these would probably need to be funded by something like a Business Improvement District. For example large planter boxes (these particular ones probably wouldn't work as a parking buffer).

Image sourced from People for Bikes.

Something like these ones on 13th Street in Boulder might work too.

Last edited by mr1138; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Really?....... I disagree. Someone who drives down a road without a protected bike lane is going to be much less likely to be aware of a bicyclist because.... there's nothing there to alert the drive of that possibility, except actually seeing the person. If a protected bike lane is there, they KNOW they need to stay off that area because it's designated for bicyclists. To say otherwise I think is a little naive....
Sorry to keep posting, but one final thought on this specific point.

Sooner or later, Protected Intersections will have to come into this conversation as well. But you have to crawl before you can walk. Intersection solutions like this don't really make sense until you have protected lanes to tie into.

Boulder is actually preparing to build its first protected intersection - it may even be the first in Colorado (unless somebody already beat us to it - Boulder moves at a snails pace with these things). I would embed the image into this post, but it would be GIGANTIC.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Wishful thinking IMO.

Consider that the garbage truck driver was taught and had to demonstrate when he got his CDL license to USE YOUR SIDE MIRRORS at all intersections when turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Claymores come to mind. Nothing like shredding a vehicle with an anti-personnel munition to put drivers on notice. We don't need to go crazy and go with anti-material munitions.

I'd also be in favor of a similar deterrent to enforce rideshare pickup zones.
I should have guessed; but at least you made me learn something. I had no clue what a Claymore was.

You can't fool me though. In your heart you know that ride-sharing is a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Quote:
When it comes to plastic bollards, I still do not understand why they are needed - particularly when using a parking protected solution. Bumper blocks, on the other hand, are absolutely needed...
Well here's what they recently installed on 15th St looks like; Click and scroll. They are fugly but at least in this case the bike lane is wide enough for passing. But I can also understand why many riders do not like "protected" lanes.

It's one thing to design something on paper and quite another to cope with the limitations and even hazards in real life. In the Denver7 video a rider comes along who goes outside of the bike lane on So Marion Pkwy. Given the narrower bike lane on that street I can see how curb-barriers could be very hazardous when trying to pass someone - or just in general. Those barriers could send a 'distracted' bike rider flying off their bike.

Quote:
Sooner or later, Protected Intersections will have to come into this conversation as well.
It's been pointed out there has been a number of crashes along this stretch of road. My guess is that they occur primarily at intersections. It might be that paying more attention to intersections would be more beneficial than concrete curbs for protected bike lanes.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 11:39 PM

Not a Big Surprise

DIA Accuses Great Hall Developer of Misconduct; Threatens Contract Termination
July 26, 2019 By Brian Maass - CBS4
Quote:
DENVER (CBS4) – The rift grew dramatically this week between Denver International Airport and the developer of the Great Hall project, with DIA accusing the developer of “an incredible lack of professionalism.” Officials accused the developer of disrupting the terminal during the airports busiest time of year, “knowingly interfering with airport activities” and breaching its contract, potentially leading to termination of the deal.
Just a little tiff I assume?
Quote:
The explosive accusations are contained in four letters dated July 24 and sent from DIA to the developer of the Great Hall project. CBS4 obtained the letters Friday under a Colorado Open Records Act Request.
  • Notice of Non-Compliance with MWBE Commitments
  • Initial Breach Notice – Restoration of Escalators
  • Initial Breach Notice – Intentional Interference with Airport Activities
  • Response to Developers Request to Work without a Permit and Violate City Law
Well then, let me grab a beer and pull up a chair; this could get interesting.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:35 PM

Oh Colorado

Source

Colorado Transportation Commission pivoting toward highway alternatives
Jul 26, 2019 By Ed Sealover – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Gov. Jared Polis has begun to remake the Colorado Transportation Commission from a board that focuses on improving highway safety by expanding roadways to one that could dedicate a much higher percentage of the state’s resources to alternative means of mobility, from passenger rail to bike-sharing.
Standing O from the crowd on my left.
Quote:
The first-year Democratic governor in early July replaced four of the 11 members of the commission after they had finished their second four-year terms on the group, adding onto the group a transit coordinator and a public-land conservation activist, among others.

The remaking of a commission ... gels with Polis’ bigger-picture ideas of how transportation should be planned in the future. During his gubernatorial campaign last year, the Democrat pushed for more transit-oriented development, espoused the eventual creation of Front Range rail and said the state cannot build its way out of the congestion that floods it now.
And tears of concern from the crowd on my right.
Quote:
...even traditional road-building advocates acknowledge the need for working transit and other mobility options, ... some are concerned by how sharply CDOT and its governing board are pivoting their focus, especially as state officials acknowledge there remains a $9 billion backlog in transportation-infrastructure needs.

And they worry that as CDOT officials begin to study high-dollar options such as Front Range rail, that will create an “either/or” scenario with still-needed expansions of highways like Interstate 25 and Interstate 70 that could leave Colorado’s main vehicle thoroughfares even further behind where they should be.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:43 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
...state officials acknowledge there remains a $9 billion backlog in transportation-infrastructure needs.

... Front Range rail, that will create an “either/or” scenario with still-needed expansions of highways like Interstate 25 and Interstate 70 that could leave Colorado’s main vehicle thoroughfares even further behind where they should be.
lol. As if highways are the only "transportation-infrastructure need" with a backlog. And as if every other mode is not "even further behind where they should be."

We can debate the wisdom of how much money to spend on any given mode. But this whole mindset that highways are "real" and other things are "other things" is precisely why that old guard is increasingly being removed from power all over the country.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
But this whole mindset that highways are "real" and other things are "other things" is precisely why that old guard is increasingly being removed from power all over the country.
Well that gave me a laugh. Tell me about "all over the country." I'll give you a big assist by color coding the country.

I'll go with what I know.

Phoenix currently has 778 miles of bike lanes. Scottsdale has been a gold level city for being bike friendly for 8 years. Most of the East Valley which is generally more upscale is bike friendly. ADOT didn't pay one penny for of any of this.

Metro Phoenix is still building their way out of congestion. All modes aside, ADOT and their contractors do the heavy lifting but MAG supplies the juice courtesy of taxpayers. The Maricopa Association of Governments invests roughly a $billion per year. Matching funds come from both federal grants and ADOT. By itself ADOT couldn't do squat.

CDOT annual revenues are barely enough to keep the lights on. They have recently received added project specific funds. While shiny new things are nice that won't pay the annual light bill.

So long as they understand that CDOT is a State agency and not a City agency I don't care what they do. But given the recent efforts to increase funding which have not gone well do they think that monopoly money is the answer?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:31 AM

Downtown Denver: The Way Our Workforce Moves

I don't recall this being advertised previously. It was released in March and it's DTP's annual survey in this case from 2018.

DTP

Last year SOV's were tied with transit at 39%; the difference this year is increases in walk and bike percentages along with a six-tenths percent increase in ride-share/taxi. You can see the 2017 survey HERE.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:46 AM
cities|transit|croissants

More people on scooters than Uber surprises me.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:22 AM

It's spreading; 1st CDOT, now RTD

RTD is embarking on a two-year study to "Reimagine RTD.” For a recent brainstorming session they invited a Walker all the way from Portland to join them. I've never heard Jarrett in person; I wonder if he has a good sense of humor?

RTD Scores $11M In Grants To Buy More Electric Buses
July 26, 2019 By Nathaniel Minor/CPR
Quote:
The Regional Transportation District leveraged an $8.5 million grant it got in April of this year from the Volkswagen settlement program to secure another $2.6 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration on Friday.

The agency plans to use the two grants to buy as many as 17 new electric buses and charging stations, said RTD spokeswoman Tina Jaquez. The addition will expand RTD's current fleet of 36 electric buses, which Jaquez said is one of the largest in the country.
Here's a good liberal cause I can enthusiastically support.
Quote:
RTD pays a premium to power its electric fleet — 73 cents per mile over 46 cents a mile for a typical bus, according to the Denver Post. RTD's General Manager Dave Genova blamed a "demand charge" from Xcel Energy for the high cost, the Post reported.

The agency filed an appeal with Xcel's regulator, the Colorado Public Utilities Commission, but it doesn't expect any developments before September.
Streetsblog Denver has also covered the topic with a piece about how California has modified their rates to encourage electric vehicles.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Before I forget it, those Washington Nationals were very rude to my Rockies recently. Badly needing some home cookin' they got that tonight playing the Dodgers in front of a nice Monday crowd of 43,574. Rockies win 9-1.

With respect to ride-share that is hard to believe. The survey is voluntary? It could be that a lot of ride-share riders use the service some of the time while their primary mode would be something else?

Speaking for myself and with advice from the Pro's I don't 'intentionally' work rush hour trips. Other drivers do since you're guaranteed business and during the slow summer season (down here) it makes sense. For me, it's too hard to make a good per hour return. It's why I focus on airport trips; better tips with these too. A nice long ride from the suburbs to downtown is enough money to make it worthwhile though.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
This actually doesn't surprise me that much..... When the scooters first showed up in Denver, I was like "Oh god... what are these stupid things?..."

Then I tried one out.... and I realized how damn convenient they are. I can hop on one from Union Station and get to my place in Jefferson Park for under $3. An Uber would cost me at least $7 most likely. Plus, given they go 15-20 mph, it doesn't feel that much slower than waiting for an Uber to come pick you up when you can just grab a scooter on a sidewalk and go immediately.

They work great if you live close to downtown and have an easy path to get from point A to point B. I have noticed trying to get to other neighborhoods with them (Cap Hill) can be a bit more complex.

Overall, I love them. One more thing pushing me to go completely carless. That and hearing about Bustang expanding to Estes Park, Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, and probably more ski places in the future..... yeah. It's a good time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West