HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Charleston has some Caribbean influence as well. The entire Low Country from Savannah up to Charleston and the Outer Banks along the coast is kind of a unique blend of Southern culture mixed with the colonial architecture of Boston/New England but with Caribbean influence in the pastel colors, big front porches and tropical landscaping.
Aesthetically, this is one of my favorite regions in the country.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 1:44 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I think the South is such a humongous region and not all parts of it look or feel the same. Houston is "southern" in the sense that is part of the gulf coast region and as you go towards the east things start to look less like Texas and more like Louisiana. But it's definitely not southern the way somewhere like Richmond, Virginia is southern. Totally different thing.

Along those lines, the Midwest can be the same way. It's just too big to say that any place is "Midwestern" without qualifying that. There are a number of strong shared characteristics and history between Dallas-Fort Worth, Kansas City, Wichita, and maybe even Denver, but then I would obviously not consider any of those to be in the same region as say, Minneapolis or Columbus, Ohio.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:27 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I think the South is such a humongous region and not all parts of it look or feel the same. Houston is "southern" in the sense that is part of the gulf coast region and as you go towards the east things start to look less like Texas and more like Louisiana. But it's definitely not southern the way somewhere like Richmond, Virginia is southern. Totally different thing.

Unfortunately, the national scientific ballooning facility is in Palestine, TX. I had the displeasure of spending a summer there (and may spend additional summers there in the future...). I'd say the Piney Woods region of Texas is extremely southern.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:59 AM

Sprinkles of southern was evident in Northern Miami Dade/Southern Broward county up until the late 90’s imo. Probably became as sparse in Nothern Broward/South Palm Beach in the mid 2000’s. Northern Palm Beach is probably the only place left in South Florida that has any inkling of a southern vibe left.

Homestead was emptied of native white Floridians after hurricane Andrew. Southern Black culture outside of main stream appropriation, is very much segregated from other groups. Now the region in 2020 might have changed a bit, as I haven’t really been in the area for over a decade now.

I’m guessing a lot of middle class blacks(many caribbean) I saw in Broward county, have grown up and diversified professional life there.

Either way, less southern for sure to the point of a novelty at best. You’ll see southern vibes hanging out in downtown Orlando a little, but absolutely zero to Nill evidence of that in Miami/Miami Beach.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 3:04 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
It's not really about the person who is regarded as the founder of the city, but about the people who who contributed to its culture early on and in important successive periods. After all, Chicago was founded by a Black Haitian but no one would mistake it for a Caribbean city.
well i would guess natives lived around there prior, but pretty sure that was of some importance when it happened. it was the culture of that time after all, if not eternally ever after. thats how a place gets to be a place, it has to start somewhere. and its also interesting that diaspora from a once major city like cleveland for example, had a hand in founding and growing places like miami, los angeles, vegas, etc.. as with your example of chicago, the cities boomed and its unsung history.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Unfortunately, the national scientific ballooning facility is in Palestine, TX. I had the displeasure of spending a summer there (and may spend additional summers there in the future...). I'd say the Piney Woods region of Texas is extremely southern.
Glad you mentioned that. My mom's side of the family is from Palestine. East Texas is a very large region that, with all the forest and wet climate, is like the rest of the south, and is culturally very southern. Driving through that area and meeting people, you would not be able to distinguish the region from, say, the Carolinas. Parts of it are even quite hilly and pretty (e.g., Anderson, Cherokee, Upshur counties). That region, at least the trees and culture, bumps right up to the north side of Houston.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
It’s always interesting to hear these same perceptions about Miami by people who: 1) don’t live here, 2) have never lived here, 3) have visited, or 4) have never even visited... over and over through the years on this forum.
That seems to be how it is at SSP, and I guess Americans in general. Many of us could spend countless hours trying to dispel perceptions, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
Sprinkles of southern was evident in Northern Miami Dade/Southern Broward county up until the late 90’s imo. Probably became as sparse in Nothern Broward/South Palm Beach in the mid 2000’s. Northern Palm Beach is probably the only place left in South Florida that has any inkling of a southern vibe left.
My aunt lived in West Palm for a few years in the late 70's. She claimed it felt very white redneck, so much so that she moved to Pasadena, CA (and later Orange County, CA), because she wanted warmth/sun, but didn't want to raise kids in what she considered a very backward, anti-intellectual environment. Palm Beach proper was very New Yorky and WASP Northeastern, but overwhelmingly seasonal. It was a ghost town in the summer. There was basically no Jewish community yet, even in areas like Boca.

Not sure if Palm Beach County had a stereotypical "Southern" feel, but definitely a rural white uneducated feel. She was in West Palm more recently and said the old 1970's feel had been obliterated.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 11:58 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
My aunt lived in West Palm for a few years in the late 70's. She claimed it felt very white redneck, so much so that she moved to Pasadena, CA (and later Orange County, CA), because she wanted warmth/sun, but didn't want to raise kids in what she considered a very backward, anti-intellectual environment. Palm Beach proper was very New Yorky and WASP Northeastern, but overwhelmingly seasonal. It was a ghost town in the summer. There was basically no Jewish community yet, even in areas like Boca.

Not sure if Palm Beach County had a stereotypical "Southern" feel, but definitely a rural white uneducated feel. She was in West Palm more recently and said the old 1970's feel had been obliterated.

I recall your saying that your immediate family was German Catholic, but is part of your extended family German Jewish? If so it must have been an interesting thing to see the US from both angles over the 20th century.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
well i would guess natives lived around there prior, but pretty sure that was of some importance when it happened. it was the culture of that time after all, if not eternally ever after. thats how a place gets to be a place, it has to start somewhere.
Yeah, but we all know what happened to the indigenous peoples so that's a non-starter. I'm speaking in an American context.

Quote:
and its also interesting that diaspora from a once major city like cleveland for example, had a hand in founding and growing places like miami, los angeles, vegas, etc.. as with your example of chicago, the cities boomed and its unsung history.
Yep, wealthy industrialists from cities already established seized opportunities to get in on the ground floor in other parts of a young, expanding nation and here we are.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 6:56 PM

Well, as a long-time auditor of the reality TV show "Cops", it certainly would seem that there are still significant remnants of southern trailer park culture alive and well in at least some portions of West Palm Beach or Palm Beach County.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 9:10 PM

Atlanta is one of them almost to the likes of the LA of the South with multiple urban centres.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 6:19 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover99 View Post
Zero feel like a big city.

Go to a small city in Europe, like Dublin, and that feels like a mini-NYC. Throngs of people everywhere, streets full of people. Go to Houston or Atlanta, and the streets are very quiet and most people do stuff away from the city center. people make the city, and most people hang out in the suburbs in American cities.
Although I understand the gist of what you are trying to say, most people in Atlanta are most certainly not hanging out in the suburbs.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:

Go to a small city in Europe, like Dublin, and that feels like a mini-NYC. Throngs of people everywhere, streets full of people. Go to Houston or Atlanta, and the streets are very quiet and most people do stuff away from the city center. people make the city, and most people hang out in the suburbs in American cities.
Not accurate at all, I work downtown often and the streets are always packed. I’ve spoken to several transplants with one most recently from Chicago. I asked him what the difference he saw between Atlanta and Chicago and he said none. Obviously there are differences but overall he said none.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Most people are hanging out in the neighborhoods of American cities, including Atlanta. Downtown proper is quiet after hours, Midtown is better, but most of the action is going to be in Old Fourth Ward, Edgewood, Little Five Points, EAV, etc. I'm not claiming the activity in those neighborhoods is akin to what you'd see in European cities, but just saying that folks aren't fleeing the city to hang out in the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Although I understand the gist of what you are trying to say, most people in Atlanta are most certainly not hanging out in the suburbs.
Except the folks that live there. The only "suburb" that folks would go out of their way to hang out in would be downtown Decatur since it functions more like an intown neighborhood and has MARTA rail access.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Aesthetically, this is one of my favorite regions in the country.
Charleston was basiclaly founded a colony of Barbados.

The slave trade first went through the Caribbean and many English settlers to established themselves in Barbados before arriving in South Carolina.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
Not accurate at all, I work downtown often and the streets are always packed. I’ve spoken to several transplants with one most recently from Chicago. I asked him what the difference he saw between Atlanta and Chicago and he said none. Obviously there are differences but overall he said none.
One huge difference is that Chicago is nowhere near as car-centric as Atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 3:17 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

It probably is no difference during this pandemic. I don't even like going to the Loop because it's so eerie now.

Otherwise comparing what is arguably America's 2nd busiest downtown to a downtown with just a handful of stores open during the week is absurd to say the least, but for some people, urbanity and pedestrian traffic just doesn't get noticed

What you gonna do?

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
That's hard to believe. Someone from Chicago said there isn't much difference between the cities?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 8:41 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
That's hard to believe. Someone from Chicago said there isn't much difference between the cities?
I bet they were from Downer's Grove.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions