HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I just walked by that house (I live a stone's throw away) and noticed that the realtor's sign on it now says "Sold!"

Are transaction prices in BC publicly available data? In several U.S. states that info is free and readily accessible; in Quebec you can get it but it's not that easy (I only bother when truly interested in a particular property).

I'd be curious to know how much it sold for in the end.
If you go to this web location and type in the address your will get the last sell price over the last three years. Only updated once a year.

https://www.bcassessment.ca/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
If you go to this web location and type in the address your will get the last sell price over the last three years. Only updated once a year.

https://www.bcassessment.ca/
REW also has historical sales prices for any BC property going back farther than that, but you need a (free) account for that: https://www.rew.ca/insights

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 11:44 PM

A quick look in today's Globe on how Millenials and Gen Z have been screwed by the housing market:

2020 vs. 2012 vs. 1984: Young adults have it harder than ever today
ROB CARRICK PERSONAL FINANCE COLUMNIST
PUBLISHED JULY 22, 2020

...Incomes are where we see the most dramatic example of how young adults were falling behind even before the pandemic. The median employment income for people between the ages of 25 and 34 was $37,400 back in 1984, the year I graduated. Median incomes grew to $37,500 by 2012 and to $39,100 by 2018 (all numbers are in 2018 dollars, which means they are adjusted for inflation).

The income growth acceleration from 2012 to 2018, if that’s the word, amounts to 0.7 per cent a year. That’s an after-inflation number, so it does mean something. At least until we bring house prices into the analysis.

Back in mid-1984, the average national resale house price was $76,351, or two times the median income for 25- to 34-year-olds. The housing boom was well under way in 2012 – you can see this in the fact that house prices had risen to a national average of $363,927, or close to 10 times income. The mid-2020 national average house price of $538,831 would undoubtedly result in a still higher ratio of income to house price....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inve...an-ever-today/

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 11:57 PM

Pfft. Millennials are whiners. They didn't have smartphones back then. /s

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 3:57 AM

Yes, how dare the non-Boomers expect to have a standard of living as high as their parents.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 9:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm doing the first significant renovations to my house since I bought it in 2012. With all the rot and electrical work that needs to be fixed as part of this, it'll probably end up costing around $25K in a couple phases over the next few years. For me, that's a shitload.

Anyhow, first phase (roughly $10K) is replacing the siding and windows on the front. One of the two upstairs windows is required to provide egress so the one on the right (bedroom) will need to be enlarged like the ones attached on either side of me.

And the rest, in a couple phases, will do the same in the back. The back has four different types of siding on it currently. I'll be happy to get that down to one. Parts of it have already fallen off, and much of the wood you can crumble in your hand. Contractor said a couple small sections look original from well over a century ago. Two of the windows in the back are new - Dad and I replaced them - but the rest need to be replaced. Door too back here.

Going fairly traditional. Purple vinyl, pink or orange or turquoise doors. I'll be adding a trim to the windows, front and back. Luckily, contractor said roof is new and in good shape.

Then, Dad and I ourselves will take on a couple of small projects.

First is just buying/installing a porch overhang. I'm technically not in a heritage area (the designation surrounds Rabbittown, but excludes most of the working class rowhouses here) so I can something weird like this:

And we'll install a little garden box on the space between the wall and sidewalk, like this:

Wish me luck

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'm doing the first significant renovations to my house since I bought it in 2012. With all the rot and electrical work that needs to be fixed as part of this, it'll probably end up costing around $25K in a couple phases over the next few years. For me, that's a shitload.

Anyhow, first phase (roughly $10K) is replacing the siding and windows on the front. One of the two upstairs windows is required to provide egress so the one on the right (bedroom) will need to be enlarged like the ones attached on either side of me.

And the rest, in a couple phases, will do the same in the back. The back has four different types of siding on it currently. I'll be happy to get that down to one. Parts of it have already fallen off, and much of the wood you can crumble in your hand. Contractor said a couple small sections look original from well over a century ago. Two of the windows in the back are new - Dad and I replaced them - but the rest need to be replaced. Door too back here.

Going fairly traditional. Purple vinyl, pink or orange or turquoise doors. I'll be adding a trim to the windows, front and back. Luckily, contractor said roof is new and in good shape.

Then, Dad and I ourselves will take on a couple of small projects.

First is just buying/installing a porch overhang. I'm technically not in a heritage area (the designation surrounds Rabbittown, but excludes most of the working class rowhouses here) so I can something weird like this:

And we'll install a little garden box on the space between the wall and sidewalk, like this:

Wish me luck
If it were me, I’d spend a bit more for something more traditional over the front door.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 1:43 AM
recession proof

I'd go with shamrock green siding, a fritted glazed door with a red frame and a minimalist red (aluminum?) porch canopy (not curved like that - looks tacky.) Punched out extruded red aluminum window frames with triple glazing. I'd plant a hedge in front and redo the front steps. Edit: I did a little sketch:

For security/privacy your exterior door could be a painted red steel grated security door.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Aug 1, 2020 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 10:13 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Agreed about that particular overhang being tacky - but I'm not afraid of doing something slightly more modern. I hate what's there now - a chunk of ice fell off the roof a couple of winters ago and half knocked it off anyway

Aww, the drawing looks cute and I like the bigger windows but I don't like the colour combination. I'm limited to vinyl so I can't get the brightest colours. The best seems to be this series based on the rowhouses, but of course much more bland suburban in tone:

https://www.mittensiding.com/en/products/sentry

I think my favourites I've seen around town are: bright purple house, turquoise door; bright pink house, blue door; dark purple house, bright orange door. And my trim will be white. I've seen some good ones done in green, orange, and yellow - but I just don't like those colours enough.

I'm going to put a little flag stand above the door with the tricolour, so I don't think I want the actual house green or pink.

But I'll just go with the brightest, closest-to-neon colour the contractor can find. Worst case scenario is I have to get eggplant from that link above, pink door. I'll get my money's worth and then paint the vinyl something much brighter years from now.

I think my fave wall colour would be the shade of purple #16 was done in - but I'd need a turquoise (shade matched so it compliments, so probably not EXACTLY turquoise) door:

2009:

2019:

A lot of houses with off-white trim here (like #16 went with a pale pink) and I really don't like the look. And my God the trim around the door and windows is too big on that one. I just want something simple, probably the same trim as around the edges of the vinyl.

Also, the visible parts of the exterior wall above the roofline of the attached houses... I HATE when they're not done (like #14 above). I'll be doing mine lol.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Wish me luck

Why don't you do it (only the front) with real clapboard? That's what I would do, then you can stain it or have any colour paint you desire. The houses are so small that I can't see cost being significant. The windows should be traditional like the one next door. For the door overhang I would go with a simple open gable Like This, with some brackets underneath - it can't be large, you are constricted for space by the electric meter.

Last edited by Architype; Aug 3, 2020 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 11:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Sorry if this is OT - it felt appropriate to me at first but now coming back with an update feels weird. Just let me know, I can delete it.

So I've made my decisions.

There are almost no bold colours in vinyl, and I don't want to bother with clapboard - so I'm going with the brightest, boldest one I could find - Mitten burnt orange. This pic is an example, but I'll get traditional lap instead of dutchlap, of course. Most of my immediate neighbours are green, blue, brown, and beige - so the orange should work well:

And to go with it, turquoise doors. I jumped the gun A LOT and painted the front one tonight. The door is new (had to replace it a while ago because the other one started falling apart), but the box is old and rotten. The new box is just in my garage for the contractor to install. But anyhow, painted!

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Aug 6, 2020 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 1:25 AM

The trim colour can make or break it. Perhaps a darker trim colour like blue, grey, or green to give it some weight.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 1:30 AM
recession proof

A gunmetal grey trim with the burnt orange would look good. I'd probably just go with a bare aluminum door.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 5:03 PM
Ontario's finest Brayon

Finally sold my condo, will lose 37k$ on it but I saved 40k$ on the house I put an offer on.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
Finally sold my condo, will lose 37k$ on it but I saved 40k$ on the house I put an offer on.
What city?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 7:05 PM
Suburbs Suck

cbc.ca reporting Vancouver home sales and prices rose in July.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
cbc.ca reporting Vancouver home sales and prices rose in July.
Which speaks volumes about how totally detached local wages and the economy are from real estate.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 8:11 PM
Ontario's finest Brayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
What city?
Montreal, bought a new house in North Glengarry.

My new backyard :

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 8:33 PM
Ontario's finest Brayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
A gunmetal grey trim with the burnt orange would look good. I'd probably just go with a bare aluminum door.
Yup, I agree with those choices too, would look awesome.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Which speaks volumes about how totally detached local wages and the economy are from real estate.
This can be deceiving, anecdotally most home owners are in income brackets which have been affected the least by the pandemic. Unfortunately the people affected the most are just not as invested in real-estate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada