HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 2:04 AM
It's Hammer Time

Tribunal gives green light to ‘Television City’ twin towers over Hamilton objections
Developer Brad Lamb originally pitched a 40-storey tower in Durand neighbourhood, but later settled for two 32-storey buildings in a compromise approved by the Ontario Municipal Board

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...on-objections/

A provincial tribunal has approved a contentious Television City condo project that will add two 32-storey towers to the Durand neighbourhood over the objections of area residents and the city.

The $360-million, 618-unit project is slated to be built on the longtime CHCH TV property on Jackson Street West. The historic mansion on the site is supposed to be maintained with the current parking lot converted to publicly accessible green space.

Developer Brad Lamb originally wanted one of the towers to be 40 storeys, but later pitched two 32-storey buildings in a settlement effort rejected by the city last year. The updated proposal also included a commercial podium and increased setbacks between the east tower and the street.

Nearly a year after the hearing, Ontario Municipal Board approved the revised proposal in a decision released Feb. 21.

Ward Coun. Jason Farr called the board decision "a tough one to swallow," noting many neighbourhood residents attended meetings and sent letters opposing the project.

City planners — and a unanimous council — opposed the original project over shadow impacts, but also neighbourhood compatibility and street setbacks. In its ruling, the tribunal noted the project is slated for a neighbourhood with "abundant highrises" and that impacts related to privacy, sun and shadow are "reasonable."

It also noted the project, which is located a short walk from the city's best bus corridor, is "transit-supportive" and should provide a "range of housing."

Not all nearby residents will agree with those findings, predicted Farr.

"I think I heard from more than 100 people who were against various aspects of the project. That's a lot of concerns raised by the neighbourhood," said Farr, who added he planned to reach out to Lamb to ask that he "continue the dialogue" with concerned residents.

Christopher Redmond of the Durand Neighbourhood Association said members are "disappointed" by the decision, but still hopeful the developer will work with residents on aspects like green space and setbacks. "Hopefully we can still reach something we can all live with," he said.

Lamb was out of the country Friday and not immediately available to comment.

But he told The Spectator in January he was still eager to pursue the project — even without the recently cancelled light rail transit (LRT) line — provided the board allowed him the "necessary density" for a successful project.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 2:49 AM

Wonder if CHCH and the Spec could take Gowlings space in the old Bank of Montreal!

Here is the CBC article on the LPAt decision...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...city-1.5472197

Last edited by King&James; Feb 22, 2020 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 4:48 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Wonder if CHCH and the Spec could take Gowlings space in the old Bank of Montreal!

Here is the CBC article on the LPAt decision...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...city-1.5472197
CHCH is moving up to the industrial park at Clapisions corners.

https://www.flamboroughreview.com/ne...mborough-home/

Last edited by bigguy1231; Feb 22, 2020 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
CHCH is moving up to the industrial park at Clapisions corners.

https://www.flamboroughreview.com/ne...mborough-home/
Yes , but also thought they were going to have a small presence in downtown , not production studio, but outlet of some sort. I would rather see them with exposure to Gore Park.

Hopefully Lamb will speak on timeline now that this ruling is out.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 7:37 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Yes , but also thought they were going to have a small presence in downtown , not production studio, but outlet of some sort. I would rather see them with exposure to Gore Park.

Hopefully Lamb will speak on timeline now that this ruling is out.
It's less than a 10 minute drive from Clappisons to downtown. I can't see them having an office in the downtown. They don't need the exposure they are the only game in town.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 10:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

CHCH still intends to have a downtown bureau. Operations won't go live until Spring 2021.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 2:30 PM

This made my day. Considering how crazy rents have gone up lately this new supply is sorely needed.

What's frustrating is with the current city's budget crunch, how much money has been wasted by the city in staff time, legal costs and forgone tax money if this project had started years ago when it was first proposed. As the tribunal pointed out, this project was in an area of abundant historical high rises. City staff and council should not fight these hopeless cases they know they will probably lose for a few wealthy single family housing dwellers in Durand bitching about "shadows".

Also I need to start writing some letters supporting projects.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
This made my day. Considering how crazy rents have gone up lately this new supply is sorely needed.

What's frustrating is with the current city's budget crunch, how much money has been wasted by the city in staff time, legal costs and forgone tax money if this project had started years ago when it was first proposed. As the tribunal pointed out, this project was in an area of abundant historical high rises. City staff and council should not fight these hopeless cases they know they will probably lose for a few wealthy single family housing dwellers in Durand bitching about "shadows".

This is not an unreasonable statement.

Do they actually do a cost-benefit analysis before holding up massive projects like this? And is there any accounting of the costs after the fact? There should be and it should be placed on the desks of those responsible for the delays.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post

Massively agree, and i would go one further and say that if the municipality is found to basically been just throwing up roadblocks , there should be an award dispensed to the developer - straight fine , or bonus density of equiv. $.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 1:56 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Massively agree, and i would go one further and say that if the municipality is found to basically been just throwing up roadblocks , there should be an award dispensed to the developer - straight fine , or bonus density of equiv. $.
Under the old OMB rules if groups were found to be inhibiting developments just for the sake of shutting them down the developers could seek financial compensation. I don't know if that applies to municipalities as well.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:26 AM
Ham-burgher

Shoulda gone for their original proposal... may have been accepted. But this is a real positive.

Take the next steps Lamb. Do it now.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:57 PM

any word from Lamb on this??
I can't help but wonder if he might consider selling the property now that the zoning is firm.
I know if I was him, I'd consider just bailing on Hamilton. He's got projects on the go across the entire country and most cities are business-minded and want new development. He doesn't need Hamilton. We need him. I'm sure he's contemplated just abandoning us and focusing on places that want to grow and prosper. But maybe he's far enough into this one with pre-sales and everything that it makes sense to proceed? I hope he builds it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 12:22 AM

Lambs been in trouble for a while with his go to financer Fortress going under. He also just lost an LPAT hearing on one of his projects in Toronto which was fully sold out.

I’m worried this one will get cancelled since Lamb from my understanding sold it a while ago, and construction costs have skyrocketed since, making it unprofitable. Lamb would then either have to re-launch sales at a higher price point (which he has done before in Toronto), or sell to someone else who can build within the zoning envelope. The latter option would be a shame since we would likely lose the great Architectural design from aA.

It’s not a problem unique to Lamb or Hamilton, a lot of projects across the province are really struggling with it right now.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 12:40 AM
Forever forward.

On Brad Lamb's Instagram livestream 'ask me anything' he noted that he wants to break ground on Television City in 2021 and that CHCH has renewed their lease, so he's waiting on that to end. No link, sorry, but it will be up for a few more hours I believe.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 9:11 PM

Coming Soon — CHCH TV’s New Home
https://www.chch.com/coming-soon-chc...tDPyU0bHv7jNuw

The sign went up today on CHCH’s new home on Innovation Drive in Hamilton near highways 6 & 5. The building is currently undergoing extensive renovation and will feature studios dedicated to news programming and produced shows.

CHCH-TV is one of Canada’s original television stations, broadcasting continuously since June of 1954 from its current location at Jackson Street and Caroline Street. The studios have been refitted numerous times over the past 66 years. The property was sold several years ago and is slated for re-development.

The new location will be equipped with state of the art technology and design, positioning CHCH to continue as a leading broadcaster, and an original content producer on all evolving platforms for years to come.

The move is expected to take place in the spring of 2021.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 10:53 PM

All the media agencies are moving to the suburbs - a shame. First The Spec up to the mountain and now CHCH to Waterdown.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 11:52 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
All the media agencies are moving to the suburbs - a shame. First The Spec up to the mountain and now CHCH to Waterdown.
I was just thinking that.. downtown is just gonna be condos lol.. as far as the eye can see..

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 1:36 PM

well this specific site can snuggle up for a long winter's sleep .... thinking those purchasers will get to move in by ...guesses, early/mid 2023

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:05 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
well this specific site can snuggle up for a long winter's sleep .... thinking those purchasers will get to move in by ...guesses, early/mid 2023
At least it's not stinson doing it, then they'd move in.. never

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:20 PM

A site plan approval application has now been filed here. Good to see that this is still moving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton