HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:47 PM

Hance Park Revitalization

I figured I would get this new thread going as more updates comes out with updated renderings...

http://dtphx.org/2018/11/09/phoenix-...ising-efforts/
Quote:
Shade trees, a splash pad, amphitheater and restaurant represent just some of the big changes coming to Margaret T. Hance Park.

With a price tag of $100 million, the revitalization of Hance Park signifies a major investment in the future of Downtown Phoenix – and Phoenix Community Alliance (PCA) and Hance Park Conservancy have stepped in to lead fundraising efforts.

In partnership with the Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, the three organizations envision a world-class, signature destination that incorporates cultural amenities, entertainment and green space.

“I see what makes cities work and not work, and this is what makes cities work,” said Larry Lazarus, co-chair of PCA’s Hance Park Fundraising Committee. “In every great city, there’s this one common thing: a central park. It became very apparent to me that we need this.”

Built atop the Interstate 10 tunnel and commonly referred to as deck park — Hance Park is home to annual events like McDowell Mountain Music Festival, the St. Patrick’s Day Faire, Chinese Culture and Cuisine Festival and many others.

But according to a survey by Arizona State University, many Phoenix residents don’t even know where it is.

To solve this, the revitalization plan calls for smaller, interconnected features that will draw people into the 32.5-acre park on a daily basis, while still allowing for large-scale events.

When the park is finished, it could have a $6.6 billion impact over a 30-year period, according to an analysis conducted by the Hance Park Partner Coalition.

In addition to social and community benefits, the untapped economic potential really attracted the attention of PCA, according to Lazarus.

For the past 35 years, PCA members have driven development of Phoenix’s built environment and addressed critical urban issues. For example, the organization helped raise the funds necessary to build Steele Indian School Park, brought the Human Services Campus coalition together, and was instrumental in the Phoenix Biomedical Campus land deal – just to name a few.

This decades-long track record of driving major public-private partnerships sets a precedent, and it’s a responsibility PCA Executive Director Devney Preuss takes seriously.

“The heart of Phoenix is still missing a central gathering place for the larger community,” she said. “Hance Park has the potential to be our crown jewel.”

Right now, PCA is in the quiet phase of fundraising, according to Preuss, but there’s a lot to be excited about.

True North Studio recently signed on as the first donor – which is the development company behind the Ro2 project and Hotel Cambria on Roosevelt Row – with additional donor agreements in the works.

In addition to seeking dollar amounts, there are more than two dozen assets available for sponsorship, ranging from the entire playground set, which is slated to be the biggest in Arizona, to individual bricks and benches.

So in a sense, there are opportunities for the entire community to have a role in rebuilding the park, according to Lazarus.

“We’re looking at the world right now,” he said. “We want diversity – not just big donors, but we want everyone to get involved and feel like they have a stake in the future of the park.”

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:37 PM

It had great promise...then all the cool shit was removed from the plans.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 8:29 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
It had great promise...then all the cool shit was removed from the plans.
Yup

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:42 PM

When might we see anything?????

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
When might we see anything?????
Per the article, they are "in the quiet phase of fundraising." My guess would be probably never. At the very least I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 5:33 PM

Hance Park could be Phoenix's equivalent of Central Park, advocates say.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:05 PM

Hance park revitalization project: Fiesta bowl funds $2m playground

I know it's already been posted here but wanted to bring it back up in the appropriate thread...

http://dtphx.org/2019/08/19/hance-pa...2m-playground/
Quote:
At the center of every world-class city is a world-class park, and the Fiesta Bowl organization is donating $2 million to help get Phoenix closer to that vision.

The Hance Park Partner Coalition unveiled plans for the new “Fiesta Bowl Play at Hance Park” on Monday, marking the first piece of the park’s revitalization project to receive a seven-figure donation.

The 20,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art playground area will be geared toward families and people of all ages. Constructed on the west side of Margaret T. Hance Park in Downtown Phoenix, the goal is to create a multi-generational city asset that millions of Arizona residents and visitors can enjoy.

“It reminds you of when your kids were little, or when you were a kid,” said Bob Whitehouse, Chief Operating Officer with Fiesta Bowl, “and you’re able to just forget all the issues that are going on in the world and enjoy life.”

Phoenix Community Alliance (PCA), Hance Park Conservancy and the Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department are the three arms of the public-private coalition, formed in 2017. Shade trees, a splash pad, restaurant, amphitheater and new playground represent just some of the big changes coming to the park.

“As a mom and a mayor, I am so happy we will have a world-class playground,” said Mayor Kate Gallego, who called Hance Park “one of the most special places in Phoenix.”

Built atop the Interstate 10 tunnel and commonly referred to as deck park — Hance Park is home to annual events like McDowell Mountain Music Festival, the St. Patrick’s Day Faire, Chinese Culture and Cuisine Festival, and many others. According to Gallego, the playground will help draw people into the 32.5-acre park on a daily basis, while still allowing for large-scale events.

During Monday’s announcement, representatives from the City of Phoenix, Phoenix Community Alliance and Fiesta Bowl spoke of the importance of Hance Park in driving economic development, attracting and keeping residents, and being a cultural hub for the community.

In addition to hosting Arizona’s first college football bowl game, the Fiesta Bowl organization helps develop and champion a number of charitable causes involving youth, sports and education as part of its mission. This playground is an extension of that, according to Bob Whitehouse.

“We were all on board to make this park pristine and a model for other cities,” he said. “We’ve done several parks over the last 40 years in Arizona — the closest is about a mile from here – and this will be 10 times the size.”

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:10 PM

Japanese Friendship Garden Opposes Hance Park Changes — Here's Why

You're near a park...what do you expect? And if they were to move the playground to the East side, then guess what...the amphitheatre and large music concerts would have to move to the West side, making it even louder. It's a losing battle...

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...y-day-11346325

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:26 PM
High Voltage

Like the new renovation plans for the park. If all goes as planned, it will be pretty sweet. However, I can't get the idea out of my head that the homeless will be using the splash pad as their new personal bathing area. Yuck.

As for the Japanese Friendship Garden, you can't please everyone 100% of the time. I see their point though.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
Like the new renovation plans for the park. If all goes as planned, it will be pretty sweet. However, I can't get the idea out of my head that the homeless will be using the splash pad as their new personal bathing area. Yuck.

As for the Japanese Friendship Garden, you can't please everyone 100% of the time. I see their point though.
Wonder if the city could Set rules at the splash pad to allow them to remove anyone doing such things

Will the city do that? Probably not

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Wonder if the city could Set rules at the splash pad to allow them to remove anyone doing such things

Will the city do that? Probably not
Maybe they’ll add some security for the park with the renovations? They have a splash pad at Cityscape and I never seen any homeless there trying to take a bath.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Maybe they’ll add some security for the park with the renovations? They have a splash pad at Cityscape and I never seen any homeless there trying to take a bath.
I'm less worried about bathing than other kinds of weird behavior (weirdos love to do stupid things in front of kids), and Cityscape does have more of a medieval fortress design to keep SOME of that stuff from happening. I've seen Splashpads work in lots of big cities, and I think it would be a big hit.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:22 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I honestly really have never seen a problem with homeless bathing in public fountains or decorative pools. Not that it doesn't happen, but I have actually never witnessed an issue with it. You would expect it to be happening all the time

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 10:08 PM

To really take this park to the next level

They need a dynamite water element that will draw people like flys. Epic monster fountain/waterfall that will cool you down just standing next to it. Also a big league green house that is massive, air conditioned and has plants and birds from all over the world. Go hard or go home on this project. Make this thing a destination, with first class amenities, not some over used gig like a splash pad. Throw that in as teaser but not your main act.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 10:51 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
They need a dynamite water element that will draw people like flys. Epic monster fountain/waterfall that will cool you down just standing next to it. Also a big league green house that is massive, air conditioned and has plants and birds from all over the world. Go hard or go home on this project. Make this thing a destination, with first class amenities, not some over used gig like a splash pad. Throw that in as teaser but not your main act.
Although wind control would be needed, I think a row of fountains in the gap of the Central Ave bridge over Hance park would be awesome looking...and then follow up with a faux creek running under the bridge connecting with shallow pools and splash pads on both side of the bridge. But that's just my vision

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 8:02 PM
Modulator

Work appears to be about to commence on the Fiesta Bowl Play at Hance Park. Construction fencing was going up today.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 3:35 PM

Hance Park’s $100 million remodel continues despite pandemic

https://downtowndevil.com/hance-park...ion-continues/
Quote:
Construction of the proposed $2 million playground marks one of the first projects to break ground for the renovation of downtown Phoenix’s Margaret T. Hance Park.

City officials say construction will continue with precautions in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.

As more and more businesses and services close in order to stem the spread of the COVID-19 virus, Gregg Bach, the public information officer for the Parks and Recreation Department, said that construction began on March 16 and “there has been no change to the construction schedule related to the coronavirus.”

The city’s effort to make the “smart park” of the future will come with a total price tag of $100 million.

The west side of the space will be used mainly as a youth recreation area and family spaces and for events. The east side of the park will have a stage with an area that can accommodate up to 30,000 people, Back said.

The timeline for the project was the center focus for the Feb. 27 meeting, given concern from residents and council members pertaining to the fruition of the park.

Tracee Crockett, the assistant director for the parks and recreation department, said at the Parks and Recreation Board for the city of Phoenix that they know that they have money to break ground on the playground but “in terms of the full park being built will be contingent on when we get the money, how we get the money, and how the money is sponsored.”

Jerry Van Gasse, who lives near the park, spoke at the meeting and said that the $15 million wasn’t being put to anything of use so far, “with 15 million, we should be a little further along.”

Bach said that the majority of the $15 million has gone to design and pre-construction. Judy Weiss, deputy director of the Management Services Division, said the playground project will break ground in April and is expected to be completed in December of 2020.

Bach has a bright outlook for the future of the park and believes everybody will benefit from it.

“Hance is really, with all the development here in downtown, helping to make that an area where everybody’s going to use (it) as their neighborhood park, but also people from around the city will come there.”

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 4:02 PM

Phase One Construction Update

From the monthly newsletter I receive...

Quote:
The first phase of construction for the Hance Park Revitalization Project is well underway. During this stage of the project, the “Fiesta Bowl Play at Hance Park” play area and surrounding infrastructure, escarpment and landscape will be built. Prior to construction of those features, repairs are being made to Interstate-10 tunnel joints located under the west side of the park. Much of the construction activity to date is related to the joint repairs.
Additionally, excavation and grading are underway, which will modify the park’s elevation for the play area, escarpment and landscape. In the coming weeks, geofoam, which provides a lightweight fill, will be installed. Temporary removal and salvage of trees continues. The work is being done by contractor Haydon Building Corp in coordination with the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT).

When the first phase is completed, parkgoers will be able to walk along a 15-foot-wide pathway the length of the escarpment, which will climb gently from east to west. Ultimately, the escarpment will be connected via a pedestrian bridge in a future phase of the project. The bridge will also allow visitors to travel between two separate lawn areas on either side under the escarpment. In the interim condition, access to the west side of the escarpment will be by a set of temporary stairs, which will be removed once the pedestrian bridge and the remainder of the escarpment is constructed. Click on the diagram to the left for an expanded look at park connectivity.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
From the monthly newsletter I receive...

Thanks for the update. I was hoping that the bridge would be built during this phase. Still, it's been fun to watch the work happening. I walk by this place nearly every day, and most days things are happening.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 5:50 PM

Hance Park Update

I'm glad to see the project moving along and ready for the next phase. The old Trolley Museum is going to be demolished and I still can't believe someone proposed a permanent parking lot on the empty 3rd Ave/Portland lot. I'm glad it got denied...looking for something cool to go here.

Quote:
The construction of the playground and escarpment is moving along according to schedule and should be complete by December. The tunnel deck joint repair work in the Japanese Friendship Garden is complete and crews are pouring concrete around the playground.

The metal structure that used to house the Trolley Museum will be demolished before the end of the year. The Hance Park Conservancy and RAA asked the City if the structure could be reused or incorporated into the revitalization design, but it's located in the middle of where a new parking lot will be, it's not historically significant and the shed-like structure is a safety concern.

The Hance Park Conservancy and the City Parks Department are discussing if there could be a process for groups like RAA to temporarily activate areas of the park that won't be completed for a while. A good example of this could be the vacant lot at 3rd Ave & Portland, which is in the last phase of the revitalization plan. At the August neighborhood meeting, a motion was passed by RAA to oppose a surface parking lot as a primary use and to continue a dialogue to determine the future of the site. If you have ideas for temporary uses, please contact RAA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest