HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 1:54 PM

Quote:
I would like to think you're right. But I do recall former councillor and SMU booster Sue Uteck saying two years ago, when possible sites were shortlisted, that Shannon Park was unsuitable, and that fixing up Husky Stadium was only way to go. She voted against proceeding with any new stadium when it became clear the campus was out of the running. "We can’t afford a new stadium, fix up Saint Mary’s," she told Metro Halifax. At taxpayers' expense of course.
Am I having nostaglia for a time that never was in thinking that 50-60 years ago, if the city needed something like this, institutions like the Universities would just plain help out rather than try to turn it into getting something for their own little fiefdom?

Last edited by Nilan8888; Oct 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 10:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilan8888 View Post
Am I having nostaglia for a time that never was in thinking that 50-60 years ago, if the city needed something like this, institutions like the Universities would just plain help out rather than try to turn it into getting something for their own little fiefdom?
I read in the allnovascotia.com a few days ago that SMU is planning to demolish the current stadium and build a 3,500 seat stadium on campus. They don't want the stadium to be too dominant a part of the campus. So I think that they will likely do it through fund raising.

As far as the SMU Huskies are concerned, probably a large stadium would only be used for an odd playoff game and Vanier Cup (which has never been hosted in the Maritimes). A large stadium would mainly be for the CFL and possibly a couple large concerts each year. It could also be used for some soccer games and if built with some removable seating sections it could possibly even host some baseball games (but I think hosting football and soccer should be the design priority).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 3:40 PM

Rick Howe Show October 11, 2013:

Mayor Mike Savage on a stadium

He talked to Peter Mackay about a stadium on thursday.

"There is a lot of work going on, by a lot of people behind the scenes"

"Sooner rather than later we are going to have a public discussion on a stadium"

http://www.news957.com/2013/10/11/4p...-on-a-stadium/ 39 min mark

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 4:32 PM

After moving to Edmonton I've noticed a lot of Edmonton sports memorabilia being sold everywhere (Oilers, Eskies) and seeing many people wearing this stuff and taking pride in their local teams. It has me thinking (dreaming) of a CFL team in Halifax soon and seeing the same response from the locals. It would be amazing one day to see 'Halifax Hurricanes' stuff being sold in the Halifax Shopping Center and the like.

One day, huh? *sigh*

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 4:58 PM

Mayor Savage did mention future consideration of a stadium in a TV interview recently, so it sounds like it is a definite possibility but probably a few years off (?).

Keep the faith!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 4:02 AM
Honored Member

There is a story in the allnovascotia.com regarding Mayor Mike Savage's interest in a stadium. He plans to meet with Premier McNeil to discuss the stadium topic. According to the story ("Savage Eager to Kickstart Stadium", by Amy Pugsley Fraser, November 13th, 2013 edition), Mike Savage wants to invite CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon to address a business audience early in the new year.

The story indicates that Mike Savage is aiming for a 20,000 - 25,000 seat stadium that would be large enough to host the CFL.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 2:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
There is a story in the allnovascotia.com regarding Mayor Mike Savage's interest in a stadium. He plans to meet with Premier McNeil to discuss the stadium topic. According to the story ("Savage Eager to Kickstart Stadium", by Amy Pugsley Fraser, November 13th, 2013 edition), Mike Savage wants to invite CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon to address a business audience early in the new year.

The story indicates that Mike Savage is aiming for a 20,000 - 25,000 seat stadium that would be large enough to host the CFL.
It's good to know there is still some focus on this. I am eager to hear about the location of such a stadium...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
'Undefeated' Atlantic Schooners celebrate at Grey Cup

CFL commissioner coming to Halifax next year to discuss potential franchise

CBC News Posted: Nov 24, 2013 11:53 AM AT Last Updated: Nov 24, 2013 12:07 PM AT

The team may not exist, but fans of the Atlantic Schooners are in Regina to celebrate the Grey Cup this weekend.

The proposed east coast CFL team brought music and merchandise to the party, despite having no franchise.

"We need to let people know that we want a football team. We can't just sit back and do nothing. Our presence here at Grey Cup Regina boldly makes that statement," said Schooner booster John Ryerson.

The CFL has expressed interest in the team, but the lack of stadium is a major obstacle.

Commissioner Mark Cohon said it's something the CFL is exploring. The three recent games in Moncton have gone well, he said, but he's also looking at Halifax.

"[Moncton is] a very small community, small market, small stadium. The new mayor in Halifax, Mike Savage, wants to build a new stadium," Cohon said. "In the new year I'm going to be heading out to Halifax to meet with some business leaders, some political leaders, and start to seed the market place."

He said in the past, the league had too many troubled teams struggling to keep afloat to think about expanding. But the new Ottawa franchise will start next season and most teams are doing well.

"What I like is a community-owned team in the Maritimes, just like the Riders, the Bombers and the Eskimos," he said.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...-cup-1.2438451

16,634 attended this weekend's two Mooseheads games at the Metro Centre against two weaker divisional opponents (Halifax outscored them 14-2).

Last edited by q12; Nov 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 6:23 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

16,634 attended this weekend's two Mooseheads games at the Metro Centre against two weaker divisional opponents (Halifax outscored them 14-2).
It is good to hear that Mark Cohon will be coming to Halifax to address business leaders (and hopefully the general public).

I imagined that this would be an bad season for the Mooseheads. Maybe they will make it back to the Memorial Cup - two championships in a row would be sweet!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 10:04 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Mark just spoke about expansion to Halifax on the TSN Grey Cup pre-game show. He seems really optimistic about expanding thanks in part to Mayor Savage being in support of building a stadium and the success of the Touch down Atlantic. I am an Argo's fan so tonight it's Go! Riders Go!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 10:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It seems pretty key that the mayor's willing to play a leadership role in this. Peter Kelly was ostensibly pro-stadium too but he seemed to be lukewarmly pro-everything. The old council didn't really set priorities or follow through on many systematic long-term plans, particularly in the urban core.

For the stadium to move forward I think questions like siting need to be resolved and the plan needs to be worked on long before there is a looming deadline for some sports bid. The FIFA bid could have been a real disaster if the city won and then ended up spending $70M on a stadium that didn't actually suit its needs.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 12:00 AM
Salty Town

I haven't seen a name that sticks in the hundreds of posts about the impending Halifax CFL franchise so let's call them the Atlantic Schooners and at least erase one Halifax mistake.........

Atlantic Schooners

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 12:03 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I haven't seen a name that sticks in the hundreds of posts about the impending Halifax CFL franchise so let's call them the Atlantic Schooners and at least erase one Halifax mistake.........

Atlantic Schooners
Atlantic Schooners was always at the top of my list I like the name and also it is a name that has meaning throughout the Atlantic Provinces.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 9:52 AM

I get the idea that we will not get a lot of details on a team and/or stadium until after it is all worked out. Savage, has not been putting any cards on the table. Apparently, once, Savage indicated the stadium should be downtown, so I am hopeful.
I really don't mind this approach so as not to get all the naysayers energized and pushing their agenda.
The other encouraging info is that Cohen plans to meet with local business people.
Hopefully, one day, we will get a news conference and an announced team and stadium.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 9:56 PM

Mike Savage just on CBC talking about a CFL team and stadium but no details. He did indicate we would need a larger stadium than the last proposal.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 11:04 PM

An interesting article on changes taking place in Halifax.
thechronicleherald.ca/heraldmagazine/1171440-love-this-town-a-new-outlook-for-halifax

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 11:14 PM

Opportunity To Impress

It would be great if there was a rally or street party supporting a stadium and a CFL team coinciding with Mark Cohon meeting area politicians and business leaders. It would be an excellent opportunity to impress the business people who might consider investing as well as an opportunity to demonstrate public support for a stadium to the politicians.
The date of the meeting has yet to be announced, which would make it harder to organize on shorter notice. Maybe the Atlantic Schooners group, which has been very successful in organizing the Downeast Kitchen Party at the last few Grey Cups could get involved.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-way-dude View Post
It would be great if there was a rally or street party supporting a stadium and a CFL team coinciding with Mark Cohon meeting area politicians and business leaders. It would be an excellent opportunity to impress the business people who might consider investing as well as an opportunity to demonstrate public support for a stadium to the politicians.
The date of the meeting has yet to be announced, which would make it harder to organize on shorter notice. Maybe the Atlantic Schooners group, which has been very successful in organizing the Downeast Kitchen Party at the last few Grey Cups could get involved.
I like that idea.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 5:29 AM
Honored Member

I found the following information to be interesting and bodes well for a Maritime CFL team. In my opinion, if Maritimers will buy a significant amount of merchandise for a team hundreds of miles away in Boston then they will support a local CFL team.

(source: http://canada.nfl.com/2013/10/21/can...e-nfl-teams-2/)
Quote:
Canada’s Favourite NFL Teams
Merchandise sales and fan engagement surveys show that the New England Patriots are the most popular NFL team in Canada.

NFL International Fan Engagement survey results show that in both 2011 and 2012 the Patriots are the most popular teams in Canada. In 2012, of 356 respondents (aged 16-54) who professed to have a favourite NFL team, the most popular choice (12%) was the Pats. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady also topped the favourite player list.

The next most popular teams according to the survey, in order: 2) New York Giants, 3) Dallas Cowboys, 4) New Orleans Saints, 5) Buffalo Bills, 6) Chicago Bears, 7) Green Bay Packers, 8) Miami Dolphins, 9) Pittsburgh Steelers and 10) San Francisco 49ers.

According to the NFL’s licensed retailers, The Patriots also top merchandise sales for all NFL teams in Canada.

The Top 10 earners in merchandise sales are 1) New England 2) Green Bay Packers, 3) Pittsburgh Steelers, 4) Seattle Seahawks, 5) Oakland Raiders, 6) Denver Broncos, 7) San Francisco 49ers, 8) Buffalo Bills, 9) Washington Redskins and 10) New York Giants.

Based on this data, Sun Media’s John Kryk offered the following analysis:

The Patriots traditionally have been the most popular team in Canada’s Maritime provinces, which collectively border New England.

Quebec long has had a sizeable New York Giants following, indicative of Montreal’s love affair with the Big Apple.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 12:42 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I found the following information to be interesting and bodes well for a Maritime CFL team. In my opinion, if Maritimers will buy a significant amount of merchandise for a team hundreds of miles away in Boston then they will support a local CFL team.

(source: http://canada.nfl.com/2013/10/21/can...e-nfl-teams-2/)
The "Atlantic Patriots"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment