HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Also, who would like a new 12-15 floor hotel??
Yes 13 46.43%
No 12 42.86%
Next Year 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 11:15 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I was in Regina quite a few years ago. As I recall there was a restaurant/drinking establishment just across Wascana Boulevard(???) from the University. Is it still there? It had a log cabin ambiance to it. Are there any other places nearby that are popular for the student crowd?
The building itself was moved across town.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 1:20 AM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 1:20 AM

^ Really? I thought it was the small 5 sided building in the following satellite image:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...&t=h&z=18&om=1

Anyway, what are the most popular bars/pubs for the student crowd in Regina?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 1:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^ Really? I thought it was the small 5 sided building in the following satellite image:

No that would be Rotten Ron's, PJ Melon's is now Creekside on Vic East.
PJ's and Checkers are long gone.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 1:42 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:

WHat you are seeing there now is a McDonalds.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:47 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

^ Isn't this the relocation of PJ Melons?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I was in Regina quite a few years ago. As I recall there was a restaurant/drinking establishment just across Wascana Boulevard(???) from the University. Is it still there? It had a log cabin ambiance to it. Are there any other places nearby that are popular for the student crowd?
The Dizzy Monk. It was literally moved (the whole building on the back of a semi) and is now in the Eastend and is called The Creekside Pub.

A McDonalds sits there now.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 3:27 PM
Edan

I also wish for improvements to the ring rd.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngregina View Post
I also wish for improvements to the ring rd.
Like what?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Like what?
the only thing I can think of in terms of improvements to the ring road is to actually make it a ring around the city....that will hopefully come in the future but other than that, the ring road is fine in its current state...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:10 AM

Ring Rd itself will never form a complete loop around the city, as there are already plans for another perimeter freeway (distant future, of course)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:54 AM
Edan

When i said they needed to improve the ring rd, it was mostly for the repaving of the thing. And to fix up some of the bridges.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 3:26 AM
Capitalist

How about adding a 3rd lane from North Albert to Vic East .. that would be a good improvement.

As the industrial area on the northeast side of the city continues to grow .. this highway's capacity should be expanded.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:11 AM
Edan

Or... you know... provide efficiant bus service from north albert to vic east. there also isnt much room to expand it a lane, especcially near ross ave. the city is planning some sort of new on and off ramp there and there just wouldnt be the room. But i see where you are coming from on this point.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Or... you know... provide efficiant bus service from north albert to vic east. there also isnt much room to expand it a lane, especcially near ross ave. the city is planning some sort of new on and off ramp there and there just wouldnt be the room. But i see where you are coming from on this point.
A 3rd (and 4th) lane can be added within the current median, they would just need to install a jersey barrier, and I'm pretty sure there are plans to do just that, from Albert to Ross

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 8:58 AM
Youth of a Nation

if anyone cares to check it out i created a thread for new stadium for riders, all diagrams and drawings done by me

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=144719

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 5:33 AM
Edan

I wish our city had some type of building guidelines. Something like waht they are doing with the diosece lands. Especcially for the downtown. Nothing can be worse than biq box stucco peices of shit in our downtown ( or near it ).

Also I would like to hear peoples reasoning for voting for "no" for a new 12 - 15 floor hotel. I dont mind what you say, I just want to know your opinion on the matter.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 8:15 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
I wish our city had some type of building guidelines. Something like waht they are doing with the diosece lands. Especcially for the downtown. Nothing can be worse than biq box stucco peices of shit in our downtown ( or near it ).

Also I would like to hear peoples reasoning for voting for "no" for a new 12 - 15 floor hotel. I dont mind what you say, I just want to know your opinion on the matter.
The only reason there are architectural guidelines for the diocese land is because of the heritage designation placed upon the property by the provincial government.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
The only reason there are architectural guidelines for the diocese land is because of the heritage designation placed upon the property by the provincial government.
As far as I know, those are the only architectural codes that regina has. Anything else in the zoning bylaw is parking, setbacks and landscape.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 2:26 AM

Quote:
I would like to hear peoples reasoning for voting for "no" for a new 12 - 15 floor hotel. I dont mind what you say, I just want to know your opinion on the matter.
I vote "no", because the numbers don't show it's necessary to have another one. Regina's room occupancy in 2006 was 66.9% (average revenue per room $63.20/d), vs the national average of 65% (at $80/d). In 2007 it was up slightly to 71.2% (at $71.23), but with the new Wingate and that Albert St south one, given the total number of rooms in the city, the market will re-saturate and the stats will come back down to the national average. (Sources: Sask Hotel & Hospitality Assn and Hotel Assn of Cdn)

There are more useful things that would contribute to the city's quality of life the local construction industry should build instead - higher density housing (incl low-income), etc. Building another hotel will just divert more construction workers and raise the costs of developing anything else (like the new office tower ppl have been mentioning).

What is your reasoning for wanting a new hotel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
As far as I know, those are the only architectural codes that regina has. Anything else in the zoning bylaw is parking, setbacks and landscape.
Is there at least some kind of City committee that reviews building plans/proposals for design merit? The Urban Planning Division seems to focus more on land use and zoning (the "intent") but doesn't even look at the actual products (the "outcomes"). Why not?

Other cities like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal go out of their way to scrutinise plans - Montreal is even a UNESCO City for Design, which is pretty neat, motivates the City to raise its own standards.

Even if review committees don't have powers themselves to approve or reject anything, at least their City Councils make informed decisions in giving projects go-aheads. They can also specify guidelines and give awards for design which help to boost awareness (and criticism and demand) for good architecture - and also helps winning developers make sales, and architects get prestige, of course.

Why not Regina?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan