HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
^^Yup, from New York.

Me and my BF both work in Tech and we have some great opportunities in SF. We both really like San Francisco and are ready for a change. I'm ready to deal with the differences (both negative and positive), and am very excited to experience life on the other coast. Truthfully, SF is my first choice in relocation in the country, so I'm happy it seems to be coming to fruition.

I know this isn't the best place for this, but we're thinking either Nob Hill or Duboce Triangle/Lower Haight....which one is better? Thanks!
I just moved to the lower Haight from Russian Hill and I love it (always have loved the neighborhood). Lots of local businesses, and the public transit options make you a short train (or bus) ride away from pretty much anything in the city. Just don’t tell anyone you’re a techie transplant from NYC, the hood isn’t overly gentrified and the locals are very protective of it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
I know this isn't the best place for this, but we're thinking either Nob Hill or Duboce Triangle/Lower Haight....which one is better? Thanks!
Pros and cons...

Nob Hill will feel more like Manhattan style living and density, but IMO it's a bit isolated. If you are at the top, there is a (very small) smattering of upscale places to eat and shop, but not much "life". As you descend to the south, it can get very gritty very quickly, and as you descend to the east, it's Chinatown which is fun for tourists and does have some cool dive bars and cheap food, but is primarily geared in terms of the day-to-day to working class immigrants (think small markets and such) so you might not find a lot to do constantly there. The portion of Polk to the west has a lot of cool little spots and wine bars, and you're also close to North Beach which has an immense selection of bars (think more bro-y sports bars/Irish pubs, which may or may not be your thing). And at the end of the day, it's hard to get more classic than that section of the city (cable cars, views, etc).

Duboce Triangle/Lower Haight is much better situated to the buzzier parts of the city with much more navigable topography and more walking access to a lot of trendier areas (Hayes Valley, NOPA, Mission) with a ton of boutique restaurants, bars, cafes, gyms, and shopping. Duboce has been getting seedier recently with re: homelessness and drugs pushing SW from the Civic Center area, so I'd avoid anything directly on Market. I would also stay east of Divisadero personally unless you are north of the Panhandle, as Upper Haight is one of the seediest stretches of retail in the NE quadrant (outside of the TL) and attracts a bunch of anarchist punk type homeless with off leash pitbulls galore. While this is more Hayes Valley, keep in mind north of Grove are public housing projects which can attract crime. But if you are looking for innovative dining, craft cocktails, boutique shopping etc (vs the classic dive bars and Italian joints in North Beach), it is hard to get better than HV, NOPA, Mission, and DT/LH is within easy striking distance of all three by foot.

So I think it comes down to which SF you'd rather experience...the classic/iconic or the innovative/new?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 3:25 AM

Thanks everyone for the input!

I will say that we didn't venture too much into the Haight and Castro. We went to Castro St, which was charming and the surrounding area seemed very nice. Completely missed out on going to The Mission due to time constraints, but it could be another contender.

Our biggest consideration is being away from the bigger drug use areas, as I don't want to consistently have to dodge needles. Thats why SoMa is probably not going to work. Second most important thing is walkability and transit/restaurant and grocery options.

Nob hill is just beautiful, but if it's very isolated, it might not be the best choice.

Anyway, this move is still a little over a year out so we've got time. I'll be back next spring for a conference and will definitely be looking more carefully at neighborhoods.

Thank you!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 5:14 AM

Just cruising through this thread.

As someone from San Diego, we have a 500 foot limit due to the proximity of the airport. Are there any regulations that might keep SF from getting, say, a 1500 footer? Or is it just a matter of time?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfishy View Post
Just cruising through this thread.

As someone from San Diego, we have a 500 foot limit due to the proximity of the airport. Are there any regulations that might keep SF from getting, say, a 1500 footer? Or is it just a matter of time?
The only "regulations" are of local making and could be changed--that is, zoning height limits imposed by the Planning Department and Board of Supervisors. Here is what the General Plan dictates in the tallest part of downtown (TransBay Transit District):

http://generalplan.sfplanning.org/Tr..._Area_Plan.pdf

But the politics in SF are such that these limits aren't going to be changed in the foreseeable future. Ultimately, say in the Star Trk time frame, they probably will be.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 6:32 PM

Hope this doesn't mean another high profile Union Square retail vacancy:

Quote:
Barneys New York Inc. has hired restructuring advisers and is considering several options including a possible bankruptcy filing, as it seeks to renegotiate the lease on its Madison Avenue flagship and other locations, according to a person familiar with the situation.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/with-so...s&page=1&pos=2

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 11:26 PM

Progress @ 555 Golden Gate:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The only "regulations" are of local making and could be changed--that is, zoning height limits imposed by the Planning Department and Board of Supervisors. Here is what the General Plan dictates in the tallest part of downtown (TransBay Transit District):

But the politics in SF are such that these limits aren't going to be changed in the foreseeable future. Ultimately, say in the Star Trk time frame, they probably will be.
I mean, there are a few other ways. Planning can grant zoning variances, including ones for height. Essentially, the developer can just ask to be able to build taller. They don't do this often and it's mostly been for residential developments which (at least in SF) tend to be shorter than office developments.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 2:14 AM

Some pics I took over the weekend

Mexican Museum + Condo Tower:

--
500 Folsom

--
Oceanwide Center

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:55 PM

Story from Curbed about 2100 Market (at Church & 14th):
https://sf.curbed.com/2019/7/24/2070...tel-short-term
They were in the process of furnishing the units when I walked by today. They have recently replaced the sidewalk on the Market side and are preparing to do the same on the 14th side. Presumably they will finish the ground floor siding once that is complete.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 7:33 AM

I don't know. I feel like maybe this belongs in the "if only" file but here it is anyway:

Quote:
Big Hub District Plan and New Heights Closer to Reality
July 25, 2019

. . . San Francisco’s Planning Department has just finished drafting the Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the City’s . . . Hub District Plan.

In addition to improving and activating the area’s streets, alleys and public realm, the the Hub Plan would allow for the development of “a taller, larger, denser, and more diverse array of buildings and heights” within the boundaries of the 84-acre Hub District, which is effectively centered around the intersection of Van Ness and Market, within the City’s Market and Octavia Plan Area.

Currently zoned for building up to a maximum of 400 feet in height, the proposed plan would increase height limits for 18 specific Hub District sites and allow for the development of up to six new towers, the tallest of which would now be allowed to reach up to 650 feet in height at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, cementing the intersection as the visual hub of the neighborhood.

If adopted and developed as envisioned, the plan would allow for up to 8,100 new residential units, with room(s) for around 15,700 new residents to rise within the boundaries of the Hub District, the current population of which now totals around 8,100, housed within 3,500 existing units.

. . . a public hearing for the Draft Impact Report is now slated to be held on August 29, after which comments will be collected, addressed and the report finalized. And once the report is finalized, adoption hearings could then follow, with a current target of having an approved plan in hand, and perhaps some ground ready to be broken, by the end of next year (2020).

https://socketsite.com/archives/2019...o-reality.html

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:54 PM

I would LOVE to see more height around this area. Exciting news to see they are moving forward with this and may break ground in 2020

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I would LOVE to see more height around this area. Exciting news to see they are moving forward with this and may break ground in 2020
Well, as you probably know, 30 Otis, one of the buildings shown, is already well under construction (since January). When they say breaking ground in 2020, I assume they mean one of the taller couple of buildings like 1 or 10 S. Van Ness or 1 Oak. 1 Oak seems forever stalled and is the main reason for my earlier sarcasm. Probably it's 10 S. Van Ness that could get underway in the next 18 months.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 12:22 AM

I posted this in the project thread but I'll put it here too: In an article on the shortage of office space in SF, the print edition of the SF Business Times this week reports "Salesforce has taken all of Oceanwide Center . . . "

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Well, as you probably know, 30 Otis, one of the buildings shown, is already well under construction (since January). When they say breaking ground in 2020, I assume they mean one of the taller couple of buildings like 1 or 10 S. Van Ness or 1 Oak. 1 Oak seems forever stalled and is the main reason for my earlier sarcasm. Probably it's 10 S. Van Ness that could get underway in the next 18 months.
Haha yes, I know 30 Otis is already under construction. 1 or 10 S Van Ness will be a VERY nice addition to the area is what I meant.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 3:19 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
I posted this in the project thread but I'll put it here too: In an article on the shortage of office space in SF, the print edition of the SF Business Times this week reports "Salesforce has taken all of Oceanwide Center . . . "

Wow how can they take SF Tower, Oceanwide, and Parcel F, not to mention their other properties? Or are they dropping plans for Parcel F because it will take so much longer to finish?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 9:48 AM
heavy user of walkability

miscellaneous from this weekend...

the One that needs no introduction

still Showplace Square, CCA housing down the street

apparently 'Mason on Mariposa' (at Carolina, north slope Potrero Hill, or Potrero Flats), losing its shroud

looking back north up Carolina, towards CCA housing

the passageway through 'Mason'

Muni tracks on Fourth (north from King) for Central Subway

at Brannan

looking south from the same spot

looking back at the future Muni stop at Brannan

old and new curb for widened sidewalk on south side of Folsom

and a bus island(?) also on Folsom just west of 2nd (which I thought was outside the scope of the Folsom Streetscape project)

sometimes SF just looks like a pile of stuff (which I suppose in some senses, it is). this is the work on the Embarcadero Ferry terminal

I really like the way the little alley leading to/from 2nd and the Transit Center is shaping up. looking west with SFMOMA in the distance

looking back the other way. this approach to the terminal really needs a good mural like the one in the shot. I suppose this particular one will be covered or blocked by Parcel F or other buildings, but as this space evolves, I hope we get some spectacular art

still can't see much at the one on Market at Mason

the GG and Jones corner of 1066 Market

the Market side

the one where Fast Frame used to be, across from Flax

speaking of Flax site...

Market and Church again

the new sidewalk on the Market side recently mentioned

I'd forgotten about this one, but at least the demo has happened for it

the one on Sixth and Shipley

just to the south of that one, the former gas station hopefully is not long for this world

at the other end of Shipley, at 5th, the lot has been cleared, for ... this?

the little one on 7th near Mission

part of the Hastings School expansion I think

Last edited by timbad; Jul 30, 2019 at 9:58 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
part of the Hastings School expansion I think
Yes.

Did you say hello to all the drug dealers around there for me? j/k

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Developers buy empty 6X6 mall in San Francisco’s Mid-Market
Roland Li and Shwanika Narayan Aug. 1, 2019

The empty 6X6 mall in San Francisco’s Mid-Market neighborhood, which has been unable to find tenants for the past three years, has been sold.

Developers Alexandria Real Estate Equities and TMG Partners bought the property at 945 Market St., which opened in 2016.

The 250,000-square-foot project’s inability to fill storefronts reflects both challenges in the retail sector and the area’s persistent crime and homelessness. Its only active business is its 167-space parking garage.

. . . the new owners’ plans for the building weren’t disclosed . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...n-14274906.php

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 11:39 PM

A Big Expensive Mistake

Quote:
I expressed my opinion on the Skyscraper forum that the mall was a big mistake from the beginning & I know nothing about retail except that I like to shop! I did not believe that downtown could support more retail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations