Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Nick fantastic shots as always. I simply do not understand the hate for this building. Even with the mechanical floor scars on the south side its still absolutely beautiful. Nitpicking I'm ok with but overall this building will be a great Chicago addition for generations to come.
Agree

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Nick, how do you consistently outdo yourself???
Thanks! Right place, right time, and a decent amount of editing. Twas a really hazy/smoky morning, but I was able to pull good deal of contrast/color out of the scene. Might have overcooked the warm toners on the right side of the cityscape, though.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 8:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Nick, once again, fantastic work!

The layers and textures in that skyline shot are just outstanding.

The whole really is greater than the sum of its parts.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 11:05 PM
Marina City

My mind can't stop calling it Vista!! Though, now works as "Big Regis," to join Big Stan, John, Wilis, and that guy on Wabash. 😀

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8spires View Post
My mind can't stop calling it Vista!! Though, now works as "Big Regis," to join Big Stan, John, Wilis, and that guy on Wabash. 😀
This is hilarious, lol.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Nick fantastic shots as always. I simply do not understand the hate for this building. Even with the mechanical floor scars on the south side its still absolutely beautiful. Nitpicking I'm ok with but overall this building will be a great Chicago addition for generations to come.

Edit: Also I love the blow through floor, being unique in Chicago to this building. I just wish they would light it up at night.
Gotta love people who are obtuse about the south-face.

How many people at lolla have already thought, "wtf is wrong with that building"? At least a few thousand I would guess.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 5:35 PM

^ so that would be about 2 or 3 %?
20% dont care, 70 % think it looks cool, 7% are tripping balls and think it is moving and the vents are a mouth

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude_Sandstorm View Post
Gotta love people who are obtuse about the south-face.

How many people at lolla have already thought, "wtf is wrong with that building"? At least a few thousand I would guess.
I am extremely confident that the 110,000 people at Lolla are not giving two thoughts about this tower. It's just a few pedants on this board that are repeating the same criticisms that have been levied against the building since before it was under construction. Every now and then, there's a slightly new criticism. Assuming everyone holds your point of view is laughable. 95% or more of the general public don't put much thought into these towers beyond "wow, that's tall!" or "that's pretty" or "I like/hate that". That's the only criticism I have to share in this thread.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 8:14 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude_Sandstorm View Post
^ Do you honestly think that there will be more than a handful of sober people at Lolla? Trust me, this tower, with all of its flaws, will be looking really groovy to most of them.

I will be at Lolla tomorrow so I will perhaps try to snap a few pics of it and post them here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
^ so that would be about 2 or 3 %?
20% dont care, 70 % think it looks cool, 7% are tripping balls and think it is moving and the vents are a mouth
5% don't meaningfully notice any details around them
70% vaguely discern aesthetic flaws to the north of them but don't care and aren't consciously thinking about it
24% consciously notice a fucked up building, some care, some don't
1% "that looks cool"

Last edited by Darude_Sandstorm; Jul 30, 2021 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
I am extremely confident that the 110,000 people at Lolla are not giving two thoughts about this tower. It's just a few pedants on this board that are repeating the same criticisms that have been levied against the building since before it was under construction. Every now and then, there's a slightly new criticism. Assuming everyone holds your point of view is laughable. 95% or more of the general public don't put much thought into these towers beyond "wow, that's tall!" or "that's pretty" or "I like/hate that". That's the only criticism I have to share in this thread.
Lol what do you think I'm after? I never criticized this building before it became clear there were going to be scars on the south-face. I didn't even care about the blow-thru...that can be experienced as aesthetically coherent. You can't experience those scars as aesthetically coherent.

So I'm impotently railing against aesthetic incoherence in a skyline that I am deeply attached to (as unhealthy as that is). There was no broken skyline view before...or at least, no view that couldn't be fixed or made coherent with time, money and construction. I don't know how the "front lawn" view gets fixed...can't put a building in front of St Regis. Obviously most people don't care like I do. But there are plenty of with decently developed aesthetic sensibilities who care about the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Do you honestly think that there will be more than a handful of sober people at Lolla? Trust me, this tower, with all of its flaws, will be looking really groovy to most of them.

I will be at Lolla tomorrow so I will perhaps try to snap a few pics of it and post them here
Lol thanks, this has me feeling better. Going to get fucked up and look at the groovy buildings in my neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
From the southern angle, it also has to mainly compete with the Aon Center and 2 Pru, both of which are extremely "cohesive" towers with strong lines and heftier materials which serve to highlight St. Regis' blemishes a bit more
Well said. I can forgive a bland tower. It won't break a view. Just give me cohesiveness.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 2:00 AM

July 29

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 11:30 PM

A piece from 'The Wall Street Journal'

https://srresidenceschicago.com/wp-c...or-Chicago.pdf

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 11:52 PM

Anyone know or care to do the research to find out where this ranks in terms of highest balconies?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooted Arborial View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Consider the source.

I have no reason to question the author's ability at writing and knowledge of history, however

I am familiar enough with Mr. Lewis' writing that I have good reason to question his agenda/propaganda.

Anyone who would write articles which include celebrating/promoting such things as the painting skill of George W. Bush and the Museum of the Bible (which was built in

D.C. by huge amounts of Hobby Lobby money) is a writer who has proven himself to be worthy of a strong dose of skepticism by this reader.
Yes, similar to another recent 'review' not by a true architecture critic. It just repeats the Studio Gang propaganda (which, of course regarding the solar light and gain is total bullshit) with no independent analysis or real architectural critique whatsoever... usually, critiques incorporate how the building functions in plan as well... and usually in architectural critiques decisions related to material, color, and form are analyzed by how it relates to and was informed by the program and function...

I love how they note the blow-through was a mistake but herald it like it's some kind of remarkable aesthetic achievement...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 5:22 PM

^ They just said the blow-through was a “dramatic space” if you happen to be in it, and the first in Chicago. Not much of an aesthetic comment.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 4:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Andy Marfia

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 11:19 AM

^^ Montrose point ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture