HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 1:51 AM

Apparently the construction cranes will have work to do immediately. A 12 storey / 77 unit construction permit was just issued for this site. It's listed as a mixed-use building.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:39 PM

I noticed a large "D" on the taller of the two cranes. I assume this means this is destined to be a 4 crane site. One of the Basswood cranes in Russell Lake is down, I assume that and the remaining one are headed here as they also belong to Arnoldin, the formwork contractor here.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 11:10 PM

Old Posted Dec 20, 2020, 11:22 PM

Here is one from me today, it also captures the Agricola Passive House and 5585 Bilby Street projects.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 2:38 AM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 9:31 PM

This one is starting to have work done above grade now. The area this is at lines up with the building on the far right of the rendering below.

richmonyards.com

The best angle of this project for now is from St. Alban's Street so my photo is reversed. The forms above street-grade are for the 12-storey construction permit. The 25-storey tower will be where the crane labelled 'A' is to the right. Crane 'D' to the left will be for a 10-storey building and it's subgrade work is complete. The lift crane on the left of the photo is where the 5-storey extension of 'D' along Clifton Green will be.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:16 AM

Base for third crane is starting.
Photo taken today, February 24. Click for high-res.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 7:20 PM

First section of the third crane tower is on the base today, but the photo from yesterday shows concrete wasn't poured yet?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEtc View Post
First section of the third crane tower is on the base today, but the photo from yesterday shows concrete wasn't poured yet?
Typically the first section is connected to the sacrificial anchors which are cast in the concrete base. That would go in the form first, followed by rebar, followed by concrete. The anchors and first section can stand on the ground. There are likely some photos of crane bases recently in other threads.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:17 AM

^ Here's an example from MR Apartments in the last few weeks;

MR Apartments - January 21, 2021 - Halifax Developments Blog

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:42 AM

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:19 PM

Crane 3 is coming together:

(photo by me yesterday)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:21 PM

Photo by me from lunch:

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 12:56 PM

I noticed last night that they have the third crane up!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:13 AM

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:21 PM

I can't tell from the perspective in those photos - is the latest crane situated for work on the 30-story tower (Building A, I believe)? As I understand it, so far only the 12-storey has a permit and is underway, correct?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
I can't tell from the perspective in those photos - is the latest crane situated for work on the 30-story tower (Building A, I believe)? As I understand it, so far only the 12-storey has a permit and is underway, correct?
I wonder if the underground portion for the entire complex is under construction even if the permit may only be issued for one of the buildings. They are advertising that they will have 600 underground parking spaces.

They have an office pre-leasing listing up with occupancy July 2022. Seems ambitious: https://www.commerciallistings.cbre....view=isLetting

According to the transit plan this will be one of the best spots in the transit system for accessibility. Intersection of green (Lacewood to SMU) and purple lines (Bedford West onto Burnside and Dartmouth Crossiing). It is a great spot for a mixed use complex.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 9:07 PM

According to the application website with HRM this has yet to receive council approval as a whole.

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...street-halifax

Which would mean they would only be allowed to build underground levels until they get that approval.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
According to the application website with HRM this has yet to receive council approval as a whole.

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...street-halifax

Which would mean they would only be allowed to build underground levels until they get that approval.
I've been to that site but it doesn't seem to be particularly helpful. We know the renderings (and storey totals) have changed since the last ones posted there, and we know a permit was issued for the 12-storey building and above-grade work on it is underway.

It's frustrating trying to find up-to-date info on this project. Or, my research skills are just sub-par...always possible.

It's even worse trying to find out anything about 7177 Quinpool.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 4:32 AM

From what I can gather from visiting the site regularly is the entire below grade area is under construction. The bulk of the activity has been facing Almon Street but the exterior foundation wall is up along the western border and they're about half way down the St. Albans Street frontage. The new crane is located near the southeast corner (St Albans at King). It's probably to help get the foundation wall completed this summer.

They do only have a construction permit for the twelve storey building right now. The site plan on Halifax Planning's website is outdated but it is mostly accurate for what is going on right now. The main difference seems to be instead of having a "L"-shaped 27 storey tower they have shrunk the floorplate into a square shape while adding height to 30 storeys and pushed it against and slightly east on Almon Street. This maneuver left room for the 12-storey building that is now under construction along Almon Street. There will be a narrow gap between the 12-storey and the 30-storey. This is all in the newest rendering that has already been posted in this thread. I think in the end the two buildings will have roughly the same overall square footage of the tower shown on the planning website.

The full sub-grade for building "D" is complete. This is a 10-storey building and I presume this will be the second building to get built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth