HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 1:31 PM

I don't think this has its own thread...

CBC’s inviting reno
New building will boost public access
By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Sat, Oct 1 - 4:55 AM

A multimillion-dollar makeover of the CBC building on Bell Road in Halifax will add a gleaming new presence to the streetscape and open up a massive new production area for public viewing.

"When people are in town we want to be a destination that doesn’t require a special invitation," Andrew Cochran, the broadcaster’s managing director for the Maritimes, said Friday in an interview.

One portal into the renovated and enlarged complex will be a window bordered in red that will light up when a live broadcast is underway, sending an invitation to people at street level that they are welcome to view the action. Increased public access will also be provided in the main foyer.

The innovative design of the CBC building — by WHW Architects Inc. in Halifax — will get its first public viewing today at 75th anniversary celebrations for the public broadcaster at the Bell Road site.

"All Halifax operations will be under one roof for the first time," said Cochran.

He said the challenge for architects was to provide some sort of nod to the past — including the landmark CBC Radio building at Sackville and South Park streets — and to reflect the evolving role of the broadcaster moving into the future.

There are some white motifs featured in the gleaming exterior of the new structure, as a nod to the CBC Radio building that will be vacated when the renovated and enlarged structure on Bell Road is ready for occupancy early in the summer of 2014.

A tender call for a builder is expected to go out late in December and staff in the Bell Road building will be relocated to the CBC Radio building when renovations begin next summer.

All radio, television and online operations will be consolidated into one large production space, which will actually occupy the space where the parking lot is currently located.

This will put about 170 staff in one central location, but this number does not include assorted freelance broadcasters and independent producers who will be using the facility.

"The availability of parking will be affected and we’re going to be working on that with staff," said Cochran.

The completed project will enlarge the current 57,000-square-foot building to about 90,000 square feet. CBC has not released a cost estimate on the overhaul of its Halifax broadcast centre. CBC is reducing its environmental footprint at Bell Road with natural light to supplement room lighting, and energy efficient heating and cooling systems and LED lighting systems.

The CBC Radio building — noted for its art deco-like styling — will likely come down as part of a redevelopment of that portion of South Park Street that includes the existing YMCA building site.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 2:41 PM
Honored Member

It looks very impressive, in my opinion. It is good to see that they are partially recreating the look of the CBC radio building. Here is a Google Map link to the location - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=1840+Be...h&z=18&vpsrc=6

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 8:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It looks very impressive, in my opinion. It is good to see that they are partially recreating the look of the CBC radio building. Here is a Google Map link to the location - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=1840+Be...h&z=18&vpsrc=6
This is amazing news! And I love the idea of illuminating a window border during live broadcasts

Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 5:02 AM

I like the look of the new building, but I'll miss the trees along that section of Bell Rd. I'm assuming that with so much emphasis on that side of the building, and with so much work to be done, that they'll be cut.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 1:25 PM

There are updated renderings for the YMCA/CBC redevelopment. I'm not sure if this has been posted yet...
I love that they keep the unique form of the CBC building, actually enhancing its lines, and the step back and massing seem to work really well. My only hesitation is that it's difficult to tell where the windows are on the upper towers, apart from the balconies. Otherwise, looks great!

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...salUpdated.pdf

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 1:40 PM

I should add, the proposal to amend the MPS and LUB is going to the design review committee. The proposal requires an increase in the height allowance on the CBC site from 23 to 49 metres. Since this height limit was established due to proximity to the Citadel, the changes will likely be challenged by the HT but perhaps not until the proposal goes to public hearing.

Read all about it here:
http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case16655Details.html

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 2:54 PM

That's a pretty decent design. I hope they keep the cladding actually finished in a white material and not just bare concrete.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:22 PM

Not bad - not bad. Can't wait to see the public hearing - the information meeting was a gong show. Nearly lost it in my seat when people kept saying it was 'unholy' to have a PIM on the Thursday before the easter weekend...as a coworker of mine would say, 'oh cry me a river'.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 8:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Nearly lost it in my seat when people kept saying it was 'unholy' to have a PIM on the Thursday before the easter weekend.
Those meetings seem to attract a very special crowd. I think they can be useful but they need to be taken with a grain of salt -- the average attendee is not the average local resident.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 3:55 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I should add, the proposal to amend the MPS and LUB is going to the design review committee. The proposal requires an increase in the height allowance on the CBC site from 23 to 49 metres. Since this height limit was established due to proximity to the Citadel, the changes will likely be challenged by the HT but perhaps not until the proposal goes to public hearing.

Read all about it here:
http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case16655Details.html
The design review committee voted 5-3 against the changes in the height limits according to allnovascotia.com. However, the vote is not binding and Council can still vote to proceed to a public hearing.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:47 AM

Alan Parish chaired the meeting and voted against it, wasn't he one the most vocal opponents as he lives in the Martello and would lose part of his view? If so that would be a blatant conflict of interest and he shouldn't have been involved.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Alan Parish chaired the meeting and voted against it, wasn't he one the most vocal opponents as he lives in the Martello and would lose part of his view? If so that would be a blatant conflict of interest and he shouldn't have been involved.
I thought that a chair could only vote to break a tie?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I thought that a chair could only vote to break a tie?
Allnovascotia says he was one of the five against.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 2:32 PM

Isn't Parish also a former head of the Heritage Trust?

I know this committee is part of the HRM By Design dogma, but it really seems to be a 5th wheel and serves no useful purpose.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 2:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Council can still vote to proceed to a public hearing.
When do you except this?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Isn't Parish also a former head of the Heritage Trust?

I know this committee is part of the HRM By Design dogma, but it really seems to be a 5th wheel and serves no useful purpose.
I also thought he was, and I agree. It is yet another pointless committee because it has no power and as far as I can tell requires no particular qualifications. These things are of course magnets for special interests.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:39 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
When do you except this?
The allnovascotia.com story indicated that it could be held within three weeks time.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 11:26 PM

Advisory committees can be a double edged sword. If their goals, objectives, boundairies and powers are well defined in their terms of reference and they have a good committee chair who can keep the committee focused (and understand's their role) - then they can be great. I know a lot of cities have design review committees which are often advisory; some better than others. I've never dealt with the one here in Calgary, but I hear it can go either way depending on the application.

When you have a committee that is poorly defined or the chair doesn't understand his role or that of the committee, I find their advice can be (frankly) useless. It's been my experience that sometimes people volunteer for these things but never really get the direction they need to do what is expected; so then they have to feel their way through and it's a stuggle.

In this case though, I'm sensing some clear bias - which should've been something that was dealt with in the terms of reference and if I were a councillor, I would call that out at council (that the chair should've stepped out). We had planning commission here in Calgary today and they are very strict about that - if you have anything to do with an application or could be conceived to have had involvement, you leave and let the commission deal with it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I also thought he was, and I agree. It is yet another pointless committee because it has no power and as far as I can tell requires no particular qualifications. These things are of course magnets for special interests.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's totally advisory. Don't they approve/or not applications through HRMbyDesign? This is an instance where someone is asking to change the content of HRMbyDesign (as opposed to putting an application through the process), so the committee is reviewing the item and providing advice to council.

As for the qualifications... I don't know of any tests the committee members have to take. I think a certain percentage of them have to be "professionals," so at least they will have had to undergo the education, training, experience, and oaths to become such.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 1:14 AM

Ha , what B.S ....."Profesionals", why do we need profesionals ? Why not average , blue collar people? Seems to me that a city like Halifax is comprised of mostly blue collar, average , hard working people. these comitees should be chosen at random and no volunteers , comprised of normal people and not those who have been involved in any type of special intrest group, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth