HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 5:46 AM
Tucsonan

Downtown Tucson's East End featured in November Sunset Magazine

Tucson Day Trip: Downtown’s East End
Tucson's historic district gets a breath of fresh air with new shops, hip restaurants, and family-friendly walking tours

Why go now: Fresh restaurants, boutiques, and a revamped underpass linking it to the University of Arizona neighborhood have breathed new energy into this historic district.

Main drag: Congress Street

Also worth a stroll: Pennington Street, and Scott and Stone Avenues.

Bring your plastic: The Rockin’ Queen (closed Sun; 45 S. Sixth Ave.; 520/461-1076) has up-and-coming clothing labels at feel-good prices. At Got All Your Marbles (closed Sun; 220 E. Congress St.; 520/628-1433), you can mix and match gemstones in all of its hand-cast jewelry.

Sign the neighborhood has arrived: James Beard award–winning chef Janos Wilder is opening Downtown Kitchen + Cocktails (debut scheduled for October; $$; 135 S. Sixth; 520/623-7700).

For something more casual: Head to the pet-friendly patio at the new branch of Monkey Burger ($; closed Sun; 47 N. Sixth) for a classic patty with fried pickles and sweet-potato fries.

Dig deeper: Explore ruins of the city’s Spanish settlement on the Presidio Trail walking tour (map at tucsonpresidiotrust.org).

Hit the town
Congress Street buzzes at night with retro watering holes like the Hotel Congress—where John Dillinger and his gang were briefly captured—and theaters like the Rialto and the Fox Tucson. People-watch at the hotel’s Cup Cafe or raise a glass at its Club Congress.

Play on the tracks
Kick-start your day with a latte and fresh Danish pastry at Maynards Market ($$; 400 N. Toole Ave.; 520/545-0577) in the historic train depot’s refurbed art deco waiting room, then browse shelves chock-a-block with local tamales and salsas, organic wines, and handcrafted soaps.

Afterward, check out the cool locomotives in the Southern Arizona Transportation Museum ($5 donation suggested; 414 N. Toole).

Art, music, mystery
The surreal, religious visions of Daniel Martin Diaz have traveled around the country. Now his Old Master–style paintings have a permanent home at the museum-cum-curio-shop Sacred Machine.

Can’t afford the art? Check out the painted skateboards, guitars, and CDs by Blind Divine, the band founded by Diaz and his wife. 245 E. Congress St.

Happy hour
Take in the bar scene at 47 Scott bistro or have a quieter cocktail under the cafe lights on the back patio.

For dinner, we love the riffs on American classics like mini grilled cheese on challah or mac ’n’ cheese with fresh herbs. The bread salad—housemade mozzarella, tomato, and baguette chunks topped with a fried egg—is a knockout. $$; closed Sun; 47 N. Scott Ave.; 520/624-4747.

Make it a weekend
Downtown is a great place to kick up your heels at night—which gives you a good excuse to check into the Royal Elizabeth Bed & Breakfast Inn. One of Arizona’s oldest homes, this gracious 1878 Victorian has thick adobe walls, high ceilings, and gleaming wood floors—plus a pool in case you need a pick-me-up swim the next morning. $219, including breakfast.

http://www.sunset.com/travel/southwe...0418000069681/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 2:53 PM
Emperor Disco I

Anqrew, thanks for that link.

Although, Rialto, Hotel Congress and the Apts around One Fifth/MLK is worth the visit, I'm not quite sure about the Pennington, Stone and Scott Ave part. I wouldn't stroll those roads at night at this moment.

If I had the power, I'd replaced the old Pioneer Hotel, Bank of America and the Pima County Superior Court, Pima Legal Services, City Hall with a mixed of Apts/Condos/Retail . Replaced as in replaced by a wrecking ball.

City Hall and Pima County gov'ts should be housed in the 'proposed' (and ugly) new Joint City/Pima Justice Courts (Stone Ave. & Alameda St.) with one brand new high rise. I think it would be more convenient to have all those local gov't offices in one place.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post

Although, Rialto, Hotel Congress and the Apts around One Fifth/MLK is worth the visit, I'm not quite sure about the Pennington, Stone and Scott Ave part. I wouldn't stroll those roads at night at this moment.

If I had the power, I'd replaced the old Pioneer Hotel, Bank of America and the Pima County Superior Court, Pima Legal Services, City Hall with a mixed of Apts/Condos/Retail . Replaced as in replaced by a wrecking ball.

City Hall and Pima County gov'ts should be housed in the 'proposed' (and ugly) new Joint City/Pima Justice Courts (Stone Ave. & Alameda St.) with one brand new high rise. I think it would be more convenient to have all those local gov't offices in one place.
dude u r insane. those are architectural marvels. do u hate tucson!!
Besides that's like me saying we should knockdown your house!!! see it is not nice.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 3:22 AM

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ouserender.jpg

So your saying this is ugly?
Awkward

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 4:03 AM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ouserender.jpg

So your saying this is ugly?
Awkward
Not ugly but below average. The buildings I mentioned previously are also below average. Most of the buildings at this site are architectural marvels .

The city of Tucson considered replacing city hall way back in the 90's. The Old Pima County Courthouse IS a building marvel. Pima County was planning to move their offices from the Old Courthouse (keeping that building jewel) on an open lot closed by the Pioneer Hotel . Those government buildings I mentioned are outdated and always in need of constant maintenance. I know, I used to work there.

I don't hate Tucson. The weather is great and it's cheap to live here. I just want it fixed.

Last edited by acatalanb; Nov 4, 2010 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 10:02 PM

Another dirt lot bites the dust

At the east end of downtown, construction of Plaza Centro's Phase I has begun--a four-level, 400-space public parking garage with three stories of apartments on top, plus retail and commercial at street level.

construction progress - Nov., 2010; Phase I render (parking garage/retail/commercial/residential)
(photo: city of Tucson; render: AI Architects)

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 1:15 AM
Tucsonan

drove past Plaza Centro today and got very excited.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 2:35 AM

Honestly the city should build the rainbow bridge

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 6:15 AM

Mission Gardens update

With no Rio Nuevo funds available, the Friends of Tucson's Birthplace non-profit has secured a grant for nearly $15k from the State Forestry Division to plant the orchard section of the Mission Gardens, part of the proposed Tucson Origins Heritage Park west of I-10. However, additional funds are needed to bring in water and electricity for a drip irrigation system. Once completed, the four-acre gardens will interpret nearly 4,000 years of agricultural history in the Tucson area as show in the site plan below:

Mission Gardens site plan; view from "A" Mountain of Tucson Origins Heritage Park site, with the Mission Garden's perimeter adobe wall visible in lower right
(render, photo: Friends of Tucson's Birthplace)

For more info: http://www.tucsonsbirthplace.org/, http://dot.tucsonaz.gov/projects/pro...339C76A737EF96

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 1:17 AM

Things Downtown Needs

Rainbow Bridge

2 more high rises over 375 feet- both will have observation decks

More people

A supertarget in the Marketplace at the bridges

Larger Tcc

New house style that is affordable

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 8:20 AM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:
Anyways, of all the cities I've been. You still can't beat San Francisco.
Agreed

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 7:24 PM

Quote:

By far THE worst idea on this thread in a long time! So bacically you'd reduce the skyline to almost nothing and replace it with low-rise buildings and one high-rise...SO glad you don't have that power.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 7:44 PM

Not sure if anyone has posted this link yet, but kinda cool.

http://maps.tucsonaz.gov/downtown/pr...html?projID=31

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 7:57 PM

Here's another cool link I found. It has a 3D video fly by of the new Unisource Energy Building that is going up downtown, as well as some of the best renderings of the building I've seen so far.

http://www.tep.com/company/news/UNSbuilding/index.asp

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
Here's another cool link I found. It has a 3D video fly by of the new Unisource Energy Building that is going up downtown, as well as some of the best renderings of the building I've seen so far.

http://www.tep.com/company/news/UNSbuilding/index.asp
Quote:
Not sure if anyone has posted this link yet, but kinda cool.

http://maps.tucsonaz.gov/downtown/pr...html?projID=31

You'll find most of this in the metro Tucson project list, which is updated regularly (although the fly-by video link is from YouTube).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 10:15 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
By far THE worst idea on this thread in a long time! So bacically you'd reduce the skyline to almost nothing and replace it with low-rise buildings and one high-rise...SO glad you don't have that power.
Replaced it with LOW-RISE buildings? Why the F*** replaced it with low rise? HELL NO!!!
Replaced it with all HIGH-RISE buildings. Not just any high-rise...but architecturally appealing high-rise.

"...replace it with low-rise buildings and one high-rise" I don't know where did you get this idea of low-rise and one high rise?

Last edited by acatalanb; Nov 6, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Replaced it with LOW-RISE buildings? Why the F*** replaced it with low rise? HELL NO!!!
Replaced it with all HIGH-RISE buildings. Not just any high-rise...but architecturally appealing high-rise.

"...replace it with low-rise buildings and one high-rise" I don't know where did you get this idea of low-rise and one high rise?
Well, you said residential mixed use buildings...in Tucson, that doesn't get much higher than 4 to 6 stories since there's no market for high-rise residentials. So it sounded like tear down taller buildings for smaller ones...I'm just say'n...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 2:40 AM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Well, you said residential mixed use buildings...in Tucson, that doesn't get much higher than 4 to 6 stories since there's no market for high-rise residentials. So it sounded like tear down taller buildings for smaller ones...I'm just say'n...
Got it! Sorry man, I freak out to any conversation regarding decimating higher buildings in place of shorter ones

Nope, if there's a city that needs skyscrapers , it's Tucson . Nicer skyscrapers. Not bland boring white or grey square buildings. I sure hate to decimate our surrounding pristine desert, we need to build up.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Thats what i said

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 6:44 PM

Although the city is worried about losing a $2M site-specific grant if they don't build a new bus station near the train depot, Councilman Kozachik and nearby business owners say that the station would be in the wrong location and worsen the already congested traffic on the east end of downtown:

early rendering of proposed transportation center and bus station next to train depot (R)
(render: Poster Frost Mirto)

Bus-station plan causes furor
Downtown firms jolted by city effort to return Greyhound to depot area

by Rob O'Dell
Arizona Daily Star
November 8, 2010

The potential move of the Greyhound bus station back to the east end of downtown has outraged some of the area's business owners who contend the station doesn't fit the area and will cause traffic congestion. The city plans to move the bus station, which is now on a site off the Interstate 10 frontage road south of West Congress Street, because it needs to sell the land to help balance this year's budget. Because the city still has $2 million left over from a federal grant to build a multiuse transportation and bus facility next to the Historic Train Depot on North Toole Avenue, the city staff has drawn up plans to move it back to the east end of downtown permanently. For years, the station was on East Congress Street next to the Rialto Theatre.

Business owners are angry that the city is resurrecting plans to bring the bus terminal back to the area. They cite traffic congestion as the No. 1 concern, followed by the fact that they believe the parcel next to the depot should be developed for commercial uses that match the area. They mostly talk around the issue of concerns that the bus station could bring undesirable people to the area, although Maynards Market and Kitchen owner Richard Oseran said there could be an increase in crime if the station moves in. "It's a terrible idea," said Oseran, whose business is in the depot. "It just doesn't make sense at all." Oseran said the area is already congested, and the buses and the traffic to and from the terminal will make the situation worse, affecting business inside the train depot, along with events on the depot's patio. John Hudak, partner and publisher of Madden Media, said the station will bring extra traffic to an already crowded area, adding that the site would be better used for commercial development. He said the bus station should stay near the freeway, and the city should think about moving more of the Ronstadt Transit Center traffic to that area as well. "There are better and higher uses for that property other than a Greyhound station," Hudak said of the site next to the depot. "It's not a good idea. We're upset about it."

Several years ago, the city planned to build an $18 million combined Greyhound bus terminal and city transportation office building at the site next to the depot. It canceled the plan after the funding dried up, although not before it secured a $2 million grant from the federal government to build a multiuse transportation center on the site. Hudak said the idea of a multiuse transportation center next to the depot is an idea from the 1980s, and not the 21st century. Oseran said that at least the old plans called for security and for offices to be housed on the parking lot just northwest of the train depot. The new plan calls for the buses to be on what is now the depot parking lot, and for the ticket counter and offices to be inside the depot, which Oseran said will crowd out space for patrons of the depot. The $2 million is site-specific and can't be used at another location, said city Transportation Director Jim Glock. There's no penalty for not using the money, but a memo from City Manager Mike Letcher said the ability of the city to get future federal grants could be hampered if the city purposely forfeited the federal grant. Glock said he will do whatever the City Council tells him to do when it addresses the issue during a meeting on Nov. 23.

Councilman Steve Kozachik agreed with the businessmen in the area, saying, "I don't think that site makes any sense." He said there is no urgency in moving the Greyhound station, because the city might not get a good enough offer on the freeway site to make it worthwhile to sell it, although the city would then need another $5 million to $8 million to balance its budget. Kozachik said the "free" federal money argument doesn't sway him, because he said in the end it's still taxpayer money. He said he doesn't mind giving back the grant. "It doesn't mean we pick the site just because it's federal dollars," Kozachik said. "It's taxpayer dollars." Councilwoman Regina Romero said she's open to different options for the Greyhound terminal, and said that she will defer somewhat to Kozachik because the train depot is in his ward. The only real sticking point could be if there is a financial penalty for not using the grant money. "I'm open, but if there are financial consequences, it's going to be a much more difficult decision," Romero said. "We're not in a situation where the city of Tucson can take financial hits right now."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest