HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 9:59 PM
Closed account

taken today:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hammer'd

Ugh that Budweiser ad needs to go. Now.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 12:19 AM
Closed account

Dude..you took a long, snowy walk today eh??

I love this project, but man those fake windows on the stucco really should go. gross.

Can't wait for this to open...gonna rock.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 2:13 AM
Closed account

ya, i guess they were going for a uniform look. don't know if it's necessary. i really hope the clean up the stone; it's looking a little dirty.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 12:17 PM
Closed account

Awesome... that rooftop patio sure looks like a great place to be this time of year haha jks

Ya, I like how they matched the stonework along the side... but those windows up-top are terrible. Maybe if they had some coloured lights behind some tinted glass or something. That's make it stand out at least.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
Hammer'd

It looks as if the part where the steel beams are is seperate from the fake windowed part (I think it's just like that because the stairs come up there). I would be willing to bet they'll implement something like what you suggested, DC, so people can get the view while they eat.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 12:43 PM
Closed account

So all the scaffolding is down as of 6:15am this morning when I was waiting for my bus at main/john.
I guess they wont be cleaning the stone?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 9:53 PM
Closed account

they need to install lights on the exterior...some dramatic colour or something. really make this a landmark.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 4:11 PM
Closed account

heard recently that the company doing the reno had been fired. too slow...work too shabby. it'll be an even longer wait for its completion i guess.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 4:20 PM
Closed account

oh brother....tell them to use their own company. don't rely on Hamilton companies when it comes to renovating a historic building.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 4:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
heard recently that the company doing the reno had been fired. too slow...work too shabby. it'll be an even longer wait for its completion i guess.
Wow that sux!! haha I see a cpl workers outside every now-and-then. But doesn't ever seem to be anything going on.

I've noticed the interior of the building on the east side of the structure (along main) is done. But not the actual tap house itself.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 7:47 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
oh brother....tell them to use their own company. don't rely on Hamilton companies when it comes to renovating a historic building.
I think the company was actually from Toronto, or somewhere in the GTA.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 10:01 PM
Closed account

I wonder who? I can't find any info on the project. hopefully not from mississuaga or brampton! that'd be even worse!!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 5:26 PM
Closed account

^"advancya"

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 8:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ A London company.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

Item 2 in the What's-Holding-Them-Up department is The London Tap House.

StreetBeat reported last summer that a Whistler-based outfit was turning a 160-year-old stone building at Main and John into a restaurant and bar, with room for 900 on five levels. It was a $2 million project, to be finished in October.

Walk past that corner today, and you'll see nothing but boarded-up windows. Some figure the project is dead and buried.

Far from it, says Scott Rowe. He was in charge of opening the 666-seat London Tap House in London, Ont., in 2006 and now has the same job here.

He says work was slowed by construction of a rooftop patio, with 220 seats, glass walls, bar and washrooms. The whole roof had to come off, and new steel beams had to be fabricated.

That's complete now, and inside the finishing work is now under way. There are new custom windows behind that plywood. The bar is in, the kitchen is laid out, and 5,000 square feet of hardwood flooring arrives this week.

The job of hiring 75 staff will begin soon, and the London Tap House hopes to be open late next month. That rooftop patio could be a spectacular place to catch the first rays of spring.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:50 PM
Closed account

^^ I actually noticed more work being done on this place in the last week than all of January!

I was walking up John on Sunday, playing w/ my iPod, not paying attention to anything... then all of a sudden this guy stops me right infront of the Tap House. He's like, "Whoa... u gotta watch out buddy!" Then all of a sudden, someone on the roof starts shovelling snow off of it onto the sidewalk! Good thing that guy stopped me! hahaha

So it's clear they've started work again, and I'm very happy to hear about the interior. I seriously can't wait til it opens, and IMO I think a Spring opening is better than 'late fall' especially with a rooftop patio!!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 7:55 PM
Hammer'd

Should be pretty awesome. I peaked in while they had a door open and yes they have definitely retained the vintage look. The original brick walls haven't been covered.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 2:32 AM
Hammer'd

Nearly done. Some pretty hardcore security for the windows on the corner...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 2:36 AM
Closed account

if I'm not mistaken, I think those are sliding doors that will allow a patio-type vibe on the inside. you might be right though...they might just be covering them until it's done.
I went by today and thought they were going to be windows that open to the street...I hope so anyhow.
I love the big wood doors too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation