HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 10:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Thanks! I was just wondering how the function of those urban dealerships and shops compare to what is currently normal here.
Definitely the convenience of being able to walk back from the shop when dropping your car off cannot be understated. Further outside the city I’ve seen gas station + tire shop operations on a lot with a little surface parking, but on the whole there’s very, very few surface lots there.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:37 AM

Maritime Centre Addition at Barrington and Salter

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 4:08 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I suppose for a while this corner entrance will become the main entrance for Maritime Centre, while they reconfigure the front step former entrance. What a difference this will make. Those old concrete stairs were such wasted space and maybe this will help alleviate the wind tunnel that exists now.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 6:28 PM
Just 183 km north of...

We're being presented with what I would suggest is a pretty rare opportunity to experience first hand a 'before and after' situation in terms of building form. As one who has tackled the windy sidewalks abutting the Maritime Centre in the past, I'm looking forward to a future windy day when I can walk this area again and feel the benefit of a podium rather than a straight up tower.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 7:04 PM

Well, we will have to wait and see. Given that the ground floors do not line up well with street level, it will be a challenge to make this welcoming.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:47 AM

I noticed foundations are going in for the new First Baptist Church on Lancaster Drive in North Dartmouth. The front half of the site along Highway 118 is zone HR - High Order Residential. Plans from the rezoning request say this will be two mid-rise buildings with about 120 units total.

Case 21552 Application Package (Site plan on page 14).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 4:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:47 PM

Construction permit has been issued at 72 Primrose Street for a 4-storey / 43-unit residential building. This is from Case #21727. Ameya Properties Ltd is the developer. I can't find any renderings or site plans.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:09 PM

It looks like the upgrades for Spring Garden Road are finally kicking off this spring.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/it-s-goi...3QskobiAJWam5w

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:18 PM

Another part of the mostly-deserted downtown to be placed on the critical list thanks to HRM initiatives. I'm glad I have no reason to visit there these days, but feel badly for the businesses already struggling to survive. But tone-deaf HRM cannot be stopped, it seems.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Another part of the mostly-deserted downtown to be placed on the critical list thanks to HRM initiatives. I'm glad I have no reason to visit there these days, but feel badly for the businesses already struggling to survive. But tone-deaf HRM cannot be stopped, it seems.
Lol, you said the same thing about Argyle St I'm sure and look how that turned out. Downtown is doing fine. I'm glad they are finally starting this.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
It's deserted?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 10:06 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Might actually be good timing for SGR with the mysterious Mills redevelopment.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
It's deserted?
It's pretty dead every time I've been there the last several months. The businesses quoted in the news story cited would tend to support my view.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
It's pretty dead every time I've been there the last several months. The businesses quoted in the news story cited would tend to support my view.
Wouldn't have anything to do with the global pandemic, would it?

Barrington has some empty storefronts for sure but those seem relegated to some of the almost-complete and just-finished builds. It'll be tough but I think they're smart to do it while businesses have been working moreso in an online world and there's a big push to support local.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Wouldn't have anything to do with the global pandemic, would it?

I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I took a long walk all over downtown yesterday for the first time in more than a month, and while it wasn't buzzing with energy, it was far from dead. Barrington and Argyle were quiet, pedestrian-wise, but SGR and environs was solidly busy, and the restaurants and cafes I went into had decent lunchtime crowds. An acquaintance of mine who runs a cafe on Barrington said business had definitely slowed with the reduction in the office crowd, but he's doing fine.

And I recall just a few months ago, in September and November, downtown was absolutely buzzing. What's happening now is a combination of winter + once-in-a-lifetime pandemic.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
And I recall just a few months ago, in September and November, downtown was absolutely buzzing. What's happening now is a combination of winter + once-in-a-lifetime pandemic.
I am sure you all have a much better handle on it than I do but I am not convinced the city has really seen the benefits of the recent construction yet. Sometimes an area is less vibrant when there are a lot of construction sites; even though the construction can be exciting it is not usually good for retail businesses nearby while it's happening. It might be surprising how much more vibrant the area gets in a couple years when more buildings are complete, have had a while to fill with businesses, and there isn't a pandemic. Spring Garden Road in particular might feel quite different when it's essentially built out and the street improvements are done.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:25 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

With “Sophie’s Place” torn down I don’t think there could be a better time for a bit of streetscaping. The impact now will be reduced compared to when those storefronts were operating.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:45 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

The new self storage development on Kempt had a fire today.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I am sure you all have a much better handle on it than I do but I am not convinced the city has really seen the benefits of the recent construction yet. Sometimes an area is less vibrant when there are a lot of construction sites; even though the construction can be exciting it is not usually good for retail businesses nearby while it's happening. It might be surprising how much more vibrant the area gets in a couple years when more buildings are complete, have had a while to fill with businesses, and there isn't a pandemic. Spring Garden Road in particular might feel quite different when it's essentially built out and the street improvements are done.
Yes, and I think that in the six years I’ve lived in the city, it’s become noticeably busier every year, by degrees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth