HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 4:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
And?
And what?

Quote:
Not wanting to live next to public housing doesn't make one a racist.
but within the historical context of chicago (of which you seem to know dreadfully little), posting a "no CHA here" sign on a site that has absolutely nothing to do with CHA does indeed make someone racist.

it's 100% pure grade-A racist dog-whistling bullshit.

and there's no "perhaps" about it.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 3, 2021 at 6:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 4:31 PM
The City

One of the reasons why New York City has been so successful is because poverty wasn't so concentrated like it was in Chicago.

We need to mix affordable housing with market rate housing.

But on the same token, the "keep Woodlawn black" people are just as toxic. No, if we want this "civilization" thing to work, then all parties have to agree that people of various incomes are welcome within a neighborhood, as long as they pay the damn rent

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
And? Not wanting to live next to public housing doesn't make one a racist.
This debate isn't even about public housing. If you actually understand that this isn't CHA and is just "affordable housing" (not the same thing - which you claim you understand. Do you really though?) then why are you still bringing it up?

Just because someone makes a BS straw man argument (or maybe you're part of that group in Lincoln Square, who knows) doesn't mean you have to continue arguing and debating about it.

Not wanting to live around public housing literally has nothing to do with the proposed building in Lincoln Square. Literally nothing, because the building isn't public housing nor is it CHA. You are literally arguing with a straw man argument that isn't even valid to the conversation.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 4:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This debate isn't even about public housing. If you actually understand that this isn't CHA and is just "affordable housing" (not the same thing - which you claim you understand. Do you really though?) then why are you still bringing it up?

Just because someone makes a BS straw man argument (or maybe you're part of that group in Lincoln Square, who knows) doesn't mean you have to continue arguing and debating about it.

Not wanting to live around public housing literally has nothing to do with the proposed building in Lincoln Square. Literally nothing, because the building isn't public housing nor is it CHA. You are literally arguing with a straw man argument that isn't even valid to the conversation.
it's pretty damn clear that he's just trolling the thread at this point.

he's made zero effort to argue in good faith here.

par for the course for him, unfortunately.

moving on......

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
One of the reasons why New York City has been so successful is because poverty wasn't so concentrated like it was in Chicago.

But on the same token, the "keep Woodlawn black" people are just as toxic. No, if we want this "civilization" thing to work, then all parties have to agree that people of various incomes are welcome within a neighborhood, as long as they pay the damn rent
It is weird here, but there have also been massively failed public housing projects here just like Chicago and other cities that didn't do well - big time in the Bronx for example. Actually, some of my direct ancestors used to own a ton of property in South Bronx starting from the late 1860s (back when it wasn't even part of NYC), which was taken basically by eminent domain decades ago to construct public housing. Thanks Robert Moses.. I'm not sour Literal wealth being taken away. But there were a lot of other policies instituted in the last few decades in NYC. There is definitely a crisis here though in a way, I'd say it's worse than Chicago for sure. Things are just stupid expensive here and a lot of people really can't afford it. Very complex. But there's also a reason why you have streets in the Bronx, Queens, etc that are thriving with business even though the income levels aren't even close to high. And a lot of this is because these places are actually walkable and there were other policies instituted so people could actually open businesses there.

Ultimately though, diversity which goes down to mixed income is a great thing as long as people are willing to actually work together and talk to one another, understand each other, learn from one another, etc. What's important though is still keeping an identity without having to result to racism or bigotry. Being in an echo chamber of sorts doesn't really make one progress as much in life IMO.

Also the argument about those in other neighborhoods not wanting "others" to come in. Segregation is never a good thing, but also they do have a right to fear being priced out. If that's their argument then that's great. Once the argument goes down to race though is when it becomes less valid IMO. I was reading the comments on an Instagram post about a black-owned business in Lincoln Park being targeted. Kind of a complex subject, but some of the comments were talking about how they should just go to the south side to support themselves. At the same time though, people should be able to open up a business wherever they want as long as they go through the proper channels and have it set up to operate. It was an interesting debate to read. There were definitely people calling BS on the argument and saying they should be allowed to operate wherever they want. It's good to have identity but also it just harkens back to previous racist policies of "you can only own in THIS area!"

Anyway, home ownership is (or at least used to be) one of the greatest bases to actually build wealth. There's a reason why racist policies attacked this and made it so it was hard for some people to even own property (i.e. Bronzeville being literally the only area in the city where black people could own property for a long time). I don't think it's a bad thing that people want to stay in the neighborhoods they've lived in for a long time (moving sucks - everyone knows it). The argument though should be setting up frameworks for people to be able to actually own property and also if they want to open a business, make it easier for them. If that can happen and these neighborhoods do get gentrified, then they're basically building wealth from not only their home but from an influx of business in that same neighborhood. Unfortunately people are so divided that they just resort to having some sort of racial argument instead of actually debating real points or coming up with real ideas.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:08 PM
The City

Mag Mile Uniqlo store closing.

Getting kinda depressing on N. Mich, guys.....

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:

They should open up a Target there where you can buy diapers.

JK

Yes, that's depressing.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 8:53 PM
Urbane observer

I'll miss Uniqlo—but that would be a pretty incredible residential development site (with a dramatic 8000 sf retail space at the bottom). You'll notice all three retail tenants will soon be gone, and there's so little left of the I. Magnin store at this point that even I wouldn't oppose demolition.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 9:12 PM

Years past, one could count on a new flagship or international nameplates to move in and fill a vacant space of an old retail mainstay. But it’s just not keeping up. For certain, the old gap and former Apple stores need to be demolished and replaced with mixed use highrises. The bases should have no more than basement-ground-second floors that are very easily separate demisable space if need be.

Large retail footprints worked well for us because we could count on flagships that are attractive to tourism while stores closed in downtowns everywhere else. No doubt COVID was a huge blow and I have no idea how high the leasing prices were. But probably awful relative to the foot traffic.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:37 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

How did they even survive this long? Seems like since they've opened in Chicago it's been disappointing. Closing in Boston and Denver, closed in SF a few months back.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:45 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
They should open up a Target there where you can buy diapers.

JK

Yes, that's depressing.

Yes, a Target would actually represent a higher and better use, in 2021. 1991 this is not. I know folks are yearning for an earlier retail age - I mourn its passing myself.
And, assortment would be adjusted so there would be less diapers (not no diapers, mind you - just less).

Another thing I would point out is that the luxury segment (obviously not speaking of Uniqlo here, but this is an important point because some still want the Mag Mile to be luxury-dominant - or even luxury majority) is by no means insulated any longer from rapidly growing ecommerce penetration. Ten years ago that wasn't necessarily the case but probably starting 5-7 years ago that really began to change. Now, it's undergoing rapid acceleration.

I'm not crazy about this either. But we can choose to live in reality or pretend that the Mag Mile is going to be some sort of destination shopping corridor for wealthy international tourists and business travelers. It's just not.

*Note - I'm not saying luxury physical retail (or retail in general) is quickly transitioning to having no place in modern society or Chicago in general. There will continue to selectively be spots of it on the Mag Mile. But it will definitely progressively become less a rule and more an exception. Best hope for mini-concentrations will be maintained on Gold Coast side streets just to the west. Obviously more smaller spaces/boutiques and mixed in with some destination dining/maybe entertainment.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:48 PM

I've been in the Mich Ave Uniqlo a handful of times since it opened--it was packed the first time (recently after it opened) and then progressively less and less crowded. The latest time was late this past spring, and it was a ghost town. I might have been one of four customers on a Sunday afternoon. Other nearby stores were crowded, too.

Sucks because this is a very prominent location on the corner right across from the Water Tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Yes, a Target would actually represent a higher and better use, in 2021. 1991 this is not. I know folks are yearning for an earlier retail age - I mourn its passing myself.
And, assortment would be adjusted so there would be less diapers (not no diapers, mind you - just less).

Another thing I would point out is that the luxury segment (obviously not speaking of Uniqlo here, but this is an important point because some still want the Mag Mile to be luxury-dominant (or even luxury majority) is by no means insulated any longer from rapidly growing ecommerce penetration. Ten years ago that wasn't necessarily the case but probably starting 5-7 years ago that really began to change. Now, it's undergoing rapid acceleration.

I'm not crazy about this either. But we can choose to live in reality or pretend that the Mag Mile is going to be some sort of destination shopping corridor for wealthy international tourists and business travelers. It's just not.
Agreed. It COULD, however, be one of the world's great cityscapes if it were to be pedestrianized with a giant plaza at the water tower. Events at the plaza, cafes, street musicians, market days, all supporting the remaining shopping that's already there (plus more that might want to move in to a re-vamped Mag Mile corridor). That would be something tourists AND locals would be interested in. A kid can dream....

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:53 PM

deleted

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
No it wouldn't - not even in 2021. There's a reason why a lot of people have gone to buying online and why Amazon gets so much business. There's a reason why stores like Wal Mart and Target have invested heavily in e-commerce too. These places are going to smaller format stores in urban centers because it doesn't make sense to waste money on such big footprints. People can buy their diapers on Amazon and get it delivered the same day now. I actually like the idea about a high rise there, or perhaps if nobody wants to get it torn down again I think it could be better served with new eateries, bars, etc instead.

Target here makes only little sense.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 1:05 AM

Quote:

That was my point about Boston. It really pays off. It is so blatantly obvious being here for the summer.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 2:56 AM

Overall, the downtown has seen incredible expansion of its business districts from Gold coast pushing further north to all the stuff in the West loop (which is downtown to me) With "mall stores" disappearing everywhere, I think we're lucky it wasn't a lot worse. Just streetview Yonge and Bloor in Toronto which is about the closest similarity to Michigan Ave. Some incredible tower designs with just two floors of retail.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Overall, the downtown has seen incredible expansion of its business districts from Gold coast pushing further north to all the stuff in the West loop (which is downtown to me) With "mall stores" disappearing everywhere, I think we're lucky it wasn't a lot worse. Just streetview Yonge and Bloor in Toronto which is about the closest similarity to Michigan Ave. Some incredible tower designs with just two floors of retail.
Even though Downtown has evolved over the years, Chicago's major corridors have become major shells of their former selves, with some being outright devestated, and The Mag Mile seems to be on it way in that direction. This is in constrast to Rodeo Drive, Fifth Avenue, Soho, Union Square, etc. still being as relevant as 50/100 years ago and will more than likely rise strongly once everything is settled.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMIchael View Post
Even though Downtown has evolved over the years, Chicago's major corridors have become major shells of their former selves, with some being outright devestated, and The Mag Mile seems to be on it way in that direction. This is in constrast to Rodeo Drive, Fifth Avenue, Soho, Union Square, etc. still being as relevant as 50/100 years ago and will more than likely rise strongly once everything is settled.
A lot of luxury retail in Chicago is not on Michigan Avenue anymore, only a little bit now. A lot is now on Oak Street, Rush Street, Walton Street, etc. This is continuing with new buildings being built on those streets, and renovations too for new stores.

Not sure why you'd disregard this fact.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 1:56 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
[The Mag Mile] COULD, however, be one of the world's great cityscapes if it were to be pedestrianized with a giant plaza at the water tower. Events at the plaza, cafes, street musicians, market days, all supporting the remaining shopping that's already there (plus more that might want to move in to a re-vamped Mag Mile corridor). That would be something tourists AND locals would be interested in. A kid can dream....
Leaving aside the 150 days a year when no one wants to linger outside in Chicago, where in the world is there a successful pedestrian street that's more than 15 meters in width?

It takes more than dreaming to create a "great cityscape."

Old Posted Aug 4, 2021, 1:58 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Leaving aside the 150 days a year when no one wants to linger outside in Chicago, where in the world is there a successful pedestrian street that's more than 15 meters in width?
^ Where are you getting the '15 meters' figure?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development