HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 2:47 PM

^ Yeah we'll see what the TNS parkade looks like.

Photo from the construction cam this morning. Non changing photo . I will assume the wooden frame will be lowered into the hole as forms for a crane base. That hole is quite deep.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:14 PM

Just a block away the water table only allowed a one story parking garage. That hole is deep enough for a four level parking garage.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:18 PM

Ya no kidding. I'm just guessing on this too. But it would make sense they would put the tower crane foundation below the bottom of the parkade. So they could leave it in place once construction is complete, buried below the lower level of the parkade.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Just a block away the water table only allowed a one story parking garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
2 levels, 228 stalls.

Tower 1

http://www.truenorthsquare.com/devel...-availability/

-2 Level Underground Parkade:
-3 floors of Podium all leased.
-1 Level above podium leased
-Floors 13-17 leased.
When did it change to 1 level of parking?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:34 PM

^Hydro building only has one level due to the water table, from what's been said on here. TNS still has two.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Photo from the construction cam this morning. Non changing photo . I will assume the wooden frame will be lowered into the hole as forms for a crane base. That hole is quite deep.

Pretty much bang on, from earlier suggestions on crane placement...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:44 PM

haha I love the dancing bananas. Again, I assume that's what they're doing with that hole.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:24 PM

The boys on site are hanging out around their framework @ 8:21am (image), we'll see how quick they can get it in by the end of the day..

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Just a block away the water table only allowed a one story parking garage. That hole is deep enough for a four level parking garage.
go one block south and the Delta Hotel complex has a multi level underground parking lot. And the underground at Portage Place is two levels if I am not mistaken.

Not sure why the Hydro Building was not able to do at least the same as those two other buildings.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 8:43 PM
What could go wrong?

Sorry, you guys no nothing about construction sites. True North likes things kept neat. That is clearly a raised cedar planter box. You can buy them at Home Depot. I think I heard Petunias and Marigolds.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
go one block south and the Delta Hotel complex has a multi level underground parking lot. And the underground at Portage Place is two levels if I am not mistaken.

Not sure why the Hydro Building was not able to do at least the same as those two other buildings.
The conventional wisdom on that subject which has been cited numerous times is that apparently the meat packing plants in St. Boniface drew so much water from wells for years that it kept the water table in the city down and made those deep parking pits possible... now, no more meat packing plants, no more deep parkades. Someone mentioned that the Delta (Lakeview Square) has pumps running continuously to keep the parkade dry? (What happens if there's a prolonged blackout?)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 9:53 PM

Manitoba Hydro Place Parkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

I recall reading somewhere that part of the rational for only putting in one parkade level had something to do with the Leed Platinum Certification that Manitoba Hydro Place was chasing.

If two levels were put it, it likely would have been manageable; however more dewatering of sumps in the parkade would be required. Thus increasing the energy use of the building.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

I wonder what that approx. 20 * 20 foot wooden structure they are building in the bottom-left corner is?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:10 AM

It appears it will be put into the bottom of that hole, for a tower crane base potentially.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 7:32 AM

You can't see it from the picture but there are 4 piles in a square pattern with exposed rebar sticking out in the hole they dug.

When I come back to work next week I would not be surprised to see the tower base with the bolts right in the middle of the piles.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:45 PM

Ah yes, you can see it in this image from last night. Hole is also squared nicely now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:41 PM
There is always a way

I'm curious to find out where the other crane will be. This one seems too far from tower 1 to service the whole site. Maybe tower two starts its podium right away then follows tower one relatively quickly after it begins.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1983 View Post
I recall reading somewhere that part of the rational for only putting in one parkade level had something to do with the Leed Platinum Certification that Manitoba Hydro Place was chasing.

If two levels were put it, it likely would have been manageable; however more dewatering of sumps in the parkade would be required. Thus increasing the energy use of the building.
This sounds like it is closer to the truth than the theory on the meat packing plants causing the water table to be lower in downtown. If you could only do one level of underground parking now how did the Convention Centre expansion built after the Hydro tower accomplish their tow levels?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:16 PM

^ The meat packing plants could be the reason that the pumps are needed in the first place... would the Lakeview Square parkade really have gone down 6 levels (or whatever it is) if water was the same level then as it is now?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:19 PM

I remember reading that hydro only put in the one level of parking to encourage its employees to use public transportation...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan