HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:08 AM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
I disagree about Rob. His accent was not as a strong as Doug's. He had a softer voice and his vowels weren't as rough.

The only other person I've heard in Canadian politics with such a broad Hoser accent was former Vancouver mayor ''Sam Sullivan''. Which is strange, because Sam was quite educated and from Vancouver (which supposedly has the least strong accent in the country).
I actually think that Vancouver (and BC generally) has some of the strongest stereotypically Canadian accents in the country, regardless of social class. When I visited from Hong Kong it was a real shock.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I actually think that Vancouver (and BC generally) has some of the strongest stereotypically Canadian accents in the country, regardless of social class. When I visited from Hong Kong it was a real shock.
I've noticed this too. They strangely keep saying they sound like ''Washington state''. They don't. They sound very Canadian. Very.

Also back to Sam, he would pause during his most recent TED talk to say ''Ya knooooooo'' every few sentences. In the back of my mind I convinced myself he has to be putting us on but no. Some people sound exactly like ''Bob and Doug Mckenzie'' in this country and for whatever reason more so in Vancouver.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
These two Indian guys from Brampton are heavy on the accent.

Putting the link because I'm starting it at 1:54. Don't know if you can do that with the youtube button.

https://youtu.be/e2072YX7Dxk?t=114
That's the typical accent among South Asian Canadian youth. Can be heard across the GTA, especially in Etobicoke, Mississauga or Brampton, Greater Vancouver, particularly in South Vancouver, Surrey or North Delta...also NE Calgary and SE Edmonton as well.

Jagmeet Singh has notable hints of it in his speech but it is not as strong as the "stereotypical" Surrey or Brampton accent which has developed in recent decades.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 5:40 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'm at like a 95% success rate at identifying Canadian accents on whatever media I'm consuming. Every now and then, I think an American might be Canadian, but rarely the other way around. All you need is to hear a Canadian speak for a couple of minutes, and something will give it away.

That stereotypical Canadian accent distribution is weird though. I have two friends that I grew up with, and one sounds so stereotypical Canadian it's almost like a parody, and the other one doesn't at all. They grew up on the same street.

My dad has an accent, but my mom doesn't really. Get a few drinks in to my sister, and she's dripping like a hoser, but my brother's accent is quite subdued.

I don't get it.

And yeah, after living abroad for 18 years, Canadians have a few very defined accents.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 12:36 PM

That said I'm surprised how briefly famous Jordan Peterson was as an intellectual in the U.S a few years ago. He's from Canada and anyone who's heard him speak knows what he sounds like.

Americans like to make a mockery of the Canadian accent saying how stupid and retarded we sound frequently in corners of the internet and their news media. How was this guy not laughed off the stage?

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:10 PM

Funny, whenever I have heard Americans mocking a Canadian accent it's really more of a Minnesotan accent they are mocking...which sounds much more distinct than anywhere in Canada. Certainly more so than a Ontario where most of the population is..

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I'm at like a 95% success rate at identifying Canadian accents on whatever media I'm consuming.
My success is in identifying American accents. I'm pretty good at picking up who's an American or not, even those speaking standard midwestern English. The hardest ones to pick out as distinctly American (as opposed to Canadian) are Californians.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:02 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post

Americans like to make a mockery of the Canadian accent saying how stupid and retarded we sound frequently in corners of the internet and their news media. How was this guy not laughed off the stage?

What is with the self-hatred, honestly?

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:09 PM

^ As a French speaking person, I'm still having a hard time finding a difference between the American & English Canadian accent. They both sounds 99% the same to me aside a couple of words like Centre, metre, colour, neighbour etc...Even someone from Newfoundland sounds very American/North American to me. It seems like some English-Canadians like to point out that they are different than Americans, and I can believe it, especially for social values, but for the accent, I almost see none. It is probably MUCH easier when you are English speaking to notice those differences.

On the other hand, I can see a CLEAR difference between the American & British accent. I know it in a matter of seconds.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:16 PM
video et taceo

The Canadian one has more of a Scottish influence. Out of interest, how do Australian and British (RP) English sound to you? I find most Swedes can't tell them apart.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
The Canadian one has more of a Scottish influence. Out of interest, how do Australian and British (RP) English sound to you? I find most Swedes can't tell them apart.
A Scottish influence?! It's the first time I hear about it. How does it sound?
The Australian accent looks like a mix of American & British together, but I think it's a bit closer to the British accent. Australians tend to pronounce the word Burger ''Burgah'' or the word ever ''Evah'' and I think this is more British sounding...but I am not an expert.

Here's an example of an Australian from the Melbourne area that I am following :

Video Link

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The hoser speech pattern was not common in anglo Montreal. When I moved out West, I had a small number of people asking me what country I was from (English is my mother tongue), on account of the slightly different inflections from mainstream British Columbians. Also, I never said "You betcha" like a lot of them did.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
What is with the self-hatred, honestly?
I don't think I ever would have even noticed if it wasn't for the Americans taking the piss out of us for it. If I have a complex it's party because of that.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The hoser speech pattern was not common in anglo Montreal. When I moved out West, I had a small number of people asking me what country I was from (English is my mother tongue), on account of the slightly different inflections from mainstream British Columbians. Also, I never said "You betcha" like a lot of them did.
Men referring to other men as 'dudes' and starting a conversation by saying 'hey dude, what's goin' on' are key factors of the hoser speech.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:02 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
^ As a French speaking person, I'm still having a hard time finding a difference between the American & English Canadian accent. They both sounds 99% the same to me aside a couple of words like Centre, metre, colour, neighbour etc...Even someone from Newfoundland sounds very American/North American to me. It seems like some English-Canadians like to point out that they are different than Americans, and I can believe it, especially for social values, but for the accent, I almost see none. It is probably MUCH easier when you are English speaking to notice those differences.

On the other hand, I can see a CLEAR difference between the American & British accent. I know it in a matter of seconds.
You're not alone. The typical North American accents (Texas and the South excluded) are very difficult to tell apart if you're not Anglo Canadian or American. I've never met someone from outside of North America that didn't think I was American upon our first meeting.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Sure, that's really easy. I could already tell a CanUSA accent from a British one even back when I was barely speaking English.

Most Vancouver locals have pretty much exactly the same accent as my gf's family (who are Quebec Anglos). If there's a difference, it's too subtle for my ears. But I can now notice the difference (very slight, but can be perceived) between locals here and my American customers/bosses for this project. (They were here for a while so that's about as good as it gets for side-by-side comparison.)

One of the guys we're employing has a weird redneck sounding accent (but peppered with "eh?" at ends of sentences, so I figured, Canadian) and it turns out he's from the rural BC interior. Is that normal or rare...? It might actually be what you guys call a "hoser" accent. (No idea what that sounds like, but that could be it.)

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Also, I never said "You betcha" like a lot of them did.
That's so true, many of them do say that all the time. Such a weird way to say what's essentially "yep."

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Sure, that's really easy. I could already tell a CanUSA accent from a British one even back when I was barely speaking English.

Most Vancouver locals have pretty much exactly the same accent as my gf's family (who are Quebec Anglos). If there's a difference, it's too subtle for my ears. But I can now notice the difference (very slight, but can be perceived) between locals here and my American customers/bosses for this project. (They were here for a while so that's about as good as it gets for side-by-side comparison.)

One of the guys we're employing has a weird redneck sounding accent (but peppered with "eh?" at ends of sentences, so I figured, Canadian) and it turns out he's from the rural BC interior. Is that normal or rare...? It might actually be what you guys call a "hoser" accent. (No idea what that sounds like, but that could be it.)
Rural BC definitely has the stereotypical "hoser" accent. Traveled across the province many times and can attest to this.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 11:46 AM

Rural areas are where the “hoser” accent really comes out.

My wife’s family is in a pretty rural area of the province and a lot of her extended family have some pretty strong hoser accents. She’s long since lost hers living in the city.

My mom grew up in New Brunswick, but has been living in the GTA for the last 30+ years. She has no hint of an Atlantic accent normally but when she’s on the phone talking to her sisters or mother it comes out. Kind of comical really. And it’s distinct from the rural Ontario hoser accent.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 11:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
My mom grew up in New Brunswick, but has been living in the GTA for the last 30+ years. She has no hint of an Atlantic accent normally but when she’s on the phone talking to her sisters or mother it comes out. Kind of comical really. And it’s distinct from the rural Ontario hoser accent.
There is no single distinct Atlantic Canadian accent.

1) - generic urban North American (in the cities)
2) - non urban PEI
3) - Cape Breton
4) - Nova Scotia south shore
5) - Miramichi
6) - generic rural Maritime
7) - Newfoundland bayman.

There are probably others........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada